Anyone else hate new TV shows?

Tony D.

Current shows that I watch regularly.True BloodDWTS(guilty pleasure of mine)JustifiedThe Walking Dead.Mad MenThe one that excites and has me hooked, like MV did back in the 80's is Sons of Anarchy.A friend has recommended A&E's The Glades, which is set in Florida.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Viceman Cometh

• Leigh Burne

• Ferrariman

• Tony D.

That's the one show I go "out of my way" to watch' date=' like I used to when "Miami Vice" originally aired. I guess you could call it the "Miami Vice" for today's generation, at least it's shot in Hawaii ...[/quote']And on location, location, location!:thumbsup:

The only new "action/sitcom/comedy" type show I watch is Burn Notice, got interested because it provides lots of new locations in Miami to find. The show is OK, lots of good characters and it's interesting to see them act, but it's kind of predictable. The characters take unbelievable risks. TV used to be "the great wasteland" but it has come a long way if you consider the History channel, History International, PBS, National Geographic, and the Smithsonian channel. And football of course has always been real drama. Don't watch any other shows, I spend too much time on TV and the computer as it is.Just noticed I got promoted to Major, thanks.

I enjoy the new Hawaii 50, American Chopper(I'ved watched this since day one), American Pickers, VH1 classic 80's(don't count but kinda fun!), Justified(prolly one of the best shows that keeps ya wondering and is pretty authentic in it's surrounding)and that's about it. Yep, not much on or has been on TV lately that I could give a hoot about. I loved the Soprano's yet am still fumed on how it ended. Currently watching (DVD) LOST as I've never saw this series before and I find it fascinating to some extent yet with baseball being over, I have to find something new. Oh yeah, tried CSI once I heard Ted Danson was going to star on it and it wouldn't hold me. Got bored pretty quick. Speaking of Hawaii 50, the last episode had a VICE vibe to it on how the 'home invaders' were getting thier leads on being valet drivers copying keys and casing and hitting the homes. I had to laugh a bit. Another way VICE excelled then and was used in today's times. Mike

I'll say I hate *most* new TV shows, but for the first time in years, I'm watching more than one or two current series: Cable:I love Pawn Stars, and really like American Pickers & American Restoration. Also, I have a bizarre fondness for Hardcore Pawn, though nearly every episode is pretty much the same, and I'm guessing a good chunk of it is staged. Also, FX's It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is a favorite, although the last few eps have left me a bit underwhelmed (by Sunny standards, I mean).Broadcast:LOVE Blue Bloods. Just an excellent, excellent show, and not only because I'm a Tom Selleck fan. Great cast, great writing, and I love that it's actually filmed in NY.ABC's The Middle is also a favorite of mine. Solidly funny every week. This along with Blue Bloods are definitely my favorite two "new" shows. Also, Modern Family is growing on me, even though when I first watched it last year I didn't think it was nearly as funny as everyone was saying.I'm glad to see Law & Order: SVU rebound. Not so much because of Stabler's leaving (although the new castmemebers I do like), but because they got some new showrunners. The previous two seasons were increasingly unbelievable, the storylines were alternately predictable and over-the-top. The series still isn't in super top form, but it's better than it's been in years. Now, on the other hand, Two And A Half Men I've never liked, and while I watched the first Charlie-less episode out of curiosity's sake, I still find the show unfunny. Too much reliance on vulgarity, which, hey, I get that that's their 'thing', but it does nothing for me.Hawaii Five-O I really liked when it began last season, but about mid-way through, I found myself losing interest, and I haven't been back. I'm eager to check out the new Ted Danson CSI, but that's more of a curiosity thing, as I've never been a big fan of that show. Also, can't believe CSI: Miami's still running. IMO that show is aaaawful!All that said, I still rather watch classic TV. Cleveland now has MyTV (and THIStv, too), and I am LOVING it. They seriously play a lot of stuff I haven't seen in 15 years, back when TV Land wasn't worthless. The Odd Couple, Cannon, Dobie Gillis, Dragnet, all kinds of good stuff. Even Svengoolie, who I've wanted to see for awhile, is being syndicated nationwide on MyTV, and I think he's great! Frankly, right now I'm more into Son Of Ghoul & the revived Big Chuck & Lil' John (as well as my old tapes of The Ghoul) than anything prime time or cable-based. Of course, most of you probably don't know who any of them are, but I'm sure Viceman know's what I'm talking about!

Brit TV has some great stuff' date=' but in the States, unless you have BBC America (which I don't), it's hard to find them. It's rare that they get a Region 1 DVD release. I have all the "Cracker"s and both seasons of Life on Mars, but it seems Ashes to Ashes will never get a release here. I'm also curious about Spooks (called MI-5 here, I believe) and Luther.[/quote']I wondered why no one had been replying to this thread, turns out my email had been sending the notifications to the spam folder :)Glad you like your British dramas! I often find British television HAS to have good characters and writing, because we very rarely have the budget to make a show that's flashy and extravagant and impressive to watch.I've just finished watching Ashes To Ashes now that you mention it. Not as good as Life On Mars, but it's always great to see Gene Hunt on the screen. Too bad it's not being released over there. Spooks is also very good (vaguely like a British 24 I guess), and I'd heard recently that Luther is going to be shown in the US due to high demand (I gotta admit, I've never actually watched it, despite loads of people saying I should).

speaking of british tv, i love those old geezers in "Last of the Summer Wine". i grew up watching this show, and the show has been funny for the whole time they've been on. too bad they discontinued the show (correct me if i'm wrong). i also loved "Yes (Prime) Minister", they aired the show a couple of years back. "Monty Python" is obviously an absolute classic. i'm sure i'm forgetting some of my favorites, too. i'm just glad there's an abundance of british shows here in Finland.

I wondered why no one had been replying to this thread' date=' turns out my email had been sending the notifications to the spam folder :)Glad you like your British dramas! I often find British television HAS to have good characters and writing, because we very rarely have the budget to make a show that's flashy and extravagant and impressive to watch.I've just finished watching Ashes To Ashes now that you mention it. Not as good as Life On Mars, but it's always great to see Gene Hunt on the screen. Too bad it's not being released over there. Spooks is also very good (vaguely like a British 24 I guess), and I'd heard recently that Luther is going to be shown in the US due to high demand (I gotta admit, I've never actually watched it, despite loads of people saying I should).[/quote']I also got a couple of Brit miniseries -- State of Play and Jeckyll. Was pondering getting the original "Edge of Darkness," but Mrs. Cometh probably wouldn't watch it since it's from 1985!

OH, and I gotta say, anyone looking for a fantastic, underrated recent-ish show, that's available for cheap on DVD -- Taye Diggs in "Day Break." It's about a cop who keeps reliving the same day until he figures out why he was framed for killing the district attorney. It's 13 episodes (only 6 were ever aired) and it's one of those shows that you sit down to watch, then keep watching one after the other like potato chips. I highly, highly recommend it.

I also got a couple of Brit miniseries -- State of Play and Jeckyll. Was pondering getting the original "Edge of Darkness' date='" but Mrs. Cometh probably wouldn't watch it since it's from 1985![/quote']Ah I've never seen Edge Of Darkness (or the film remake for that matter), but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I've even heard it called the best piece of British TV ever made. One day I'll check it out for sure.

Of course everybody noticed that alot of the tv shows are based in miami,You would have to be on planet mars not to notice that.I guess with the popularity of vice the location became :hot:It is a fantastic location thats for sure.

• Administrators
OH' date=' and I gotta say, anyone looking for a fantastic, underrated recent-ish show, that's available for cheap on DVD -- Taye Diggs in "Day Break." It's about a cop who keeps reliving the same day until he figures out why he was framed for killing the district attorney. It's 13 episodes (only 6 were ever aired) and it's one of those shows that you sit down to watch, then keep watching one after the other like potato chips. I highly, highly recommend it.[/quote']I started watching this show and got hooked but then it was cancelled. Does it come to a resolution in the 13 episodes?

I started watching this show and got hooked but then it was cancelled. Does it come to a resolution in the 13 episodes?

It does! They were hoping to capitalize on some of the Lost backlash (that it was too meandering) with a promise that all would be revealed by the end of ep 13. Now, they do set up a possible continuation scenario, but it's not of the cliffhanger sort that makes the end unsatisfying.

Ah I've never seen Edge Of Darkness (or the film remake for that matter)' date=' but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I've even heard it called the best piece of British TV ever made. One day I'll check it out for sure.[/quote']I watched Edge of Darkness when it originally showed on tv & it was one of those programmes where we made a point of watching it each week. The pilot episode has us hooked. I haven't watched the remake because I loved the series & wouldn't want my memories wiped out by the 21st century version which might not spend time developing the plot as older productions did.I don't hate all new tv shows (though I won't even bother to discuss that dreadful waste of space called "reality" tv which is anything but reality, just badly scripted): there are some good ideas BUT why do tv people (writers/directors/producers) have to do all drama at top speed in case we lose concentration after 30 seconds or dumb everything down just in case we are too thick to understand the plotline? Columbo is one of my all-time favourites and sadly there's not a lot which measures up to that these days .. although I'm always on the lookout

I watched Edge of Darkness when it originally showed on tv & it was one of those programmes where we made a point of watching it each week. The pilot episode has us hooked. I haven't watched the remake because I loved the series & wouldn't want my memories wiped out by the 21st century version which might not spend time developing the plot as older productions did.I don't hate all new tv shows (though I won't even bother to discuss that dreadful waste of space called "reality" tv which is anything but reality' date=' just badly scripted): there are some good ideas BUT why do tv people (writers/directors/producers) have to do all drama at top speed in case we lose concentration after 30 seconds or dumb everything down just in case we are too thick to understand the plotline? Columbo is one of my all-time favourites and sadly there's not a lot which measures up to that these days .. although I'm always on the lookout[/quote']Seeing how you're living in the UK, I hope you watched Hidden recently on BBC1. I really enjoyed that, and as you said, it took it's time developing the character's rather than just going for quick thrills. In fact, even though it was 4 hours long in total, not much really happened... but it was riveting all the same. I highly recommend it if you didn't catch it.

Seeing how you're living in the UK' date=' I hope you watched Hidden recently on BBC1. I really enjoyed that, and as you said, it took it's time developing the character's rather than just going for quick thrills. In fact, even though it was 4 hours long in total, not much really happened... but it was riveting all the same. I highly recommend it if you didn't catch it.[/quote']I have the 4 episodes of Hidden on sky+ and last week I watched the first one. Loved the explosive ending and I'm seeing ep2 tonight. I'm spreading them out so I've got something to look forward to each week while I'm working my way through my dvds of Robbie Coltrane in "Cracker".

Face facts.We need Billy Crockett as the central character of a new MV. DJ can pop up every now and again to give advice and PMT can take the Castillo role. He'd do it if the money was right.

Face facts.We need Billy Crockett as the central character of a new MV. DJ can pop up every now and again to give advice and PMT can take the Castillo role. He'd do it if the money was right.

I really don't like the idea of a Vice reunion show. As much as I love the series, I get the feeling they'd only screw it up. I can think of so many great shows (and a ton of film series) that have had another go years later and totally ruined it. Plus Vice was all about the 80s, and it isn't the 80s any more. It's wouldn't work in the same way.As much as I'd love to see more Vice, I'd only want it if someone could fire up their time machine and make it back when the show was in its prime. (And maybe burn the script for Missing Hours while they're at it...)

I really don't like the idea of a Vice reunion show. As much as I love the series' date=' I get the feeling they'd only screw it up. I can think of so many great shows (and a ton of film series) that have had another go years later and totally ruined it. Plus Vice was all about the 80s, and it isn't the 80s any more. It's wouldn't work in the same way.As much as I'd love to see more Vice, I'd only want it if someone could fire up their time machine and make it back when the show was in its prime. (And maybe burn the script for Missing Hours while they're at it...)[/quote']Yeah, I wouldn't want a new Vice focused on Billy. He'd probably have to be a character in some form, but it reminds me of Eddie Murphy's new plan to develop a Beverly Hills Cop tv show with Axel Foley's son as the main character, and Axel as Chief of Police. It just wouldn't be the same.I still think a reunion movie could work. But C&T probably wouldn't be cops anymore. They'd both be retired by now! It'd have to be a private eye sorta thing, or maybe they're drawn back into an old case b/c they're the only ones left who know the players. Or they've both ascended the ranks, are nearing retirement, and have to come from behind the desk and hit the streets one more time. It could be done, and done well. But it probably will never happen, and I'm OK with that.

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm getting old before time (not that there's ever time/age to get old!!!!), but I can't seem to find not only TV shows, but also movies, music and whatever that could make me interested as TV shows/movies/music from the '70s-'90s did.One thing that also I don't like nowadays is that the series last too long, so long that it's probably bad to one's health collecting their episodes.I'll mention 2 series I believe are among the most influential in TV History: Star Trek (TOS) and Miami Vice, the former ran 3 years, the latter (as you all know!) 5 years. That's a very good span to me. I bought them and watched them both entirely (Star Trek only once, MV many times) and never got bored.But suppose I liked "Law & Order" (I don't dislike it, but suppose I was crazy about it): what would I do in life besides running after episodes? There's L&O this, L&O that. Theoretically, they can go forever and choose every great city in the US and around the world...Imagine Miami Vice ran for 20 seasons! What would they come up with??? Would Elvis become a criminal? Would Crockett get married with Gina? Would Castillo have an affair with Trudy? Give me a breakThink more: imagine MM creating a "NY Vice", "LA Vice", "Chicago Vice". By then, MV would be a recipe. I guess I would just drop it at some point.Damn, nowadays series last too long, they split too much also. That to me seems to underline something I believe is happening everywhere in the world (except or course with technology and science), and the reason is hard to understand, but it must have to do with playing safe and get the money: lack of creativity and original ideas. Consider how everything is getting refilmed, re-recorded, re-released, recreated, remastered...So now I have to get back to the beginning of the post and look like a grand-grand-grand father: I can't find TV shows, Movies, Music and whatever from today that call my attention as older examples of each did...

One thing that also I don't like nowadays is that the series last too long' date=' so long that it's probably bad to one's health collecting their episodes.[/quote']The only TV series that's really grabbed me lately was the new Battlestar Galactica, which I loved even though I'm not a fan of sci-fi, and I was SO happy when they gave it a proper finale after 4 seasons. That was a good length. Enough to make it feel completely realised, and not so long that re-watching it becomes a chore. Here in the UK, most of our series tend to be very short anyway (Life On Mars was just two seasons of eight episodes each), so I guess we don't really have the same problem.
Think more: imagine MM creating a "NY Vice"' date=' "LA Vice", "Chicago Vice". By then, MV would be a recipe. I guess I would just drop it at some point.[/quote']That's just the way American TV seems to be these days (to me at least, I'm not actually American so maybe I don't get the full picture). Once they get something that works they replicate it over and over to make money off of the name alone. TV and films in general these days seem to suffer from a chronic lack of originality, although occasionally something new and interesting still comes out (Battlestar Galactica and District 9 both spring to mind immediately).

I didn't watch Battlestar Galactica, Leigh Burne. Will take a look.Oh, yes, if there was a still relatively recent movie that impressed me such movie was "District 9". I'd say creativity was never an issue in this movie. It's a rare Drama-SciFi combination. I bet in time it will become a great classic.