The bass synthesizer popular in the 80s music

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

I've always liked the sound of that bass synthesizer which was used in many songs of the 1980s. You can hear it in the music Annie is dancing to in the scene where Noogie is being pushed around the bar pretending he's a fighter pilot; I think it was in "Made for Each Other". You can also hear it, for example, in that Wham song "Everything She Wants" and in Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" from "Top Gun". Is anybody else fond of this synthesizer? I find it to be one of the most defining elements of 80's pop music. When did it start to fall out of popularity and what was the last (pop) song to use it? Was it dead by 1990?

The synthesizer you are referring to is the Yamaha DX7, it was used heavily in the 80's and so this sound became somewhat of a typical bass sound.They call it the 'ring-modulated / vibrato bass' and it emulates a fretless bass.You can also hear it in Commodores's 'Nightshift' also.

Wham song "Everything She Wants" and in Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" from "Top Gun" - Not yamaha dx7 ' date=' bass is moog bass .[/quote']Although the minimoog was a popular synthesizer, it was however not used on "Take my Breath Away":
Arthur Barrow played all the keyboard parts on Take My Breath Away (as well as on the other Moroder songs). For the bassline he used a DX-7 (he thinks it was the stock DX fretless bass sound).

Arthur not compose "Take my breath away" , Giorgio Moroder and Harold Faltermeyer compose it . Than Berlin add lyrics and create pop song from the instrumental from movie .

Arthur not compose "Take my breath away" ' date=' Giorgio Moroder and Harold Faltermeyer compose it . Than Berlin add lyrics and create pop song from the instrumental from movie .[/quote']I don't want to start a argument but where is your source? Here's mine from Arthur Barrow's page: http://pw1.netcom.com/~bigear/discogra.html
BERLIN: Love Life - ("No More Words" and "Dancing in Berlin"), Oscar winning single from "Top Gun" soundtrack - "Take My Breath Away". Keyboards, Bass, Arranger
:thumbsup: