What if the series never ended?

Gabriel Vogel

What if the series did not end in 1990?What if Sonny and Tubbs left Miami Vice, but Miami Vice continued with other Actors and new characters?Who would be the new Vice Detectives? Who Castillo would recruit when Sonny and Tubbs left?

I don't think it would have the same impact as with the original cast. People are watching for instance Vice to see there favorite actors, in this case Sonny and Rico. The minute you bring somebody else in to play those roles,people stop watching.A very good example is Two and a Half Men. I love this show and beside the fact that Charlie Sheen,did what he did, he still makes the show.Not that Aston Kuchner is not a good actor, but you take away something special from that show.Bottomline it's about the actors that people love and want to see. It's like replacing Michael C. Hall in Dexter with someone else, it will never be the same.That's just my opinion, and would be interesting to know if u guys feel the same.

Guest MetroVice

Perception isn't the same now as back then . . .I don't think the show would have survived had they continued on and replaced Sonny & Rico with new characters. You have to understand at the time Vice was in production the show was already suffering dwindling viewers because (at least I think), the writing was sloppy and the overall "look" of the show had changed. The popularity of the show had dwindled to the point Universal felt it was no longer viable to continue the show. Add a little sub-par writing and a changed appearance into the mix and you have the recipe for failure no matter WHO you replace the two main characters with.Strictly speaking, Miami Vice had run it's course at that point in time. Our perception of the show has changed since it's production days in the late 80's. What we thought was crap back then would be welcomed today because for us true-blue Vice fans we'd love *anything* they happened to come up with nowadays just for the mere chance to see our beloved characters back in the saddle once again. But that's only because we love the show so much and would overlook any of the issues Vice had back in the day. As for the general public, I doubt seriously they would be as forgiving. Switching one main character is hard enough. But switching two? I just don't see how the show would survive under those conditions. But as I always say, "That's me". What I think and what would really happen are frequently two different things altogether.I just wish they'd bring the show back in some form or another because I'd absolutely love to see an updated Vice show in the works. Clearly the same characters wouldn't be doing the same things as nearly 23 years prior, but it could be done in a way that showcases their evolved positions within the police department. Obviously I have no idea how they'd create an entire show from that but they seem to be able to bring just about everything else back somehow. Why not this? It sure seems to have more than enough interest (and I don't just mean US).But again, that's me.