Billy Corben on Miami’s cocaine ‘n pot haulin legacy

Pink Flaming0

Billy Corben is a Miami-based documentary filmmaker and area native who co-founded and operates film company, Rakontur with his longtime friends/producers Alfred Spellman and David Cypkin. Their 2006 film, Cocaine Cowboys documents Miami’s central role as the major American destination for cocaine smuggled from Colombia during the ’70′s and ’80′s. The effects of this trade on Miami included a major spike in violent crime, and a series of drug-related murders ordered by female cocaine trafficker, Griselda Blanco — the subject of 2008 followup film, Cocaine Cowboys IIVery interesting read: http://camerainthesun.com/?p=5563

• 1 month later...

Cocaine Cowboys aired here in Australia last night. Yesterday morning, I was reading through the TV guide for the week and it got featured in the highlights section, with a great review.What can I say but wow - what an eye-opening, jaw dropping, disturbing and shocking account of the goings on in Miami & South Florida during the late 70s and early 80s. I had heard about it, but never knew exactly how bad it was. I have to admit that I had to look away when they were showing the gory photos. But even if someone just listened to that movie, they would still be stunned by what they hear. It made Miami Vice seem unbelievably tame compared to to this.Is there anyone here who lived in Miami/South Florida during that time? If I lived there, I probably would have moved somewhere else! Especially with that woman Griselda going around and shooting so many people. How scary.

Cocaine Cowboys aired here in Australia last night. Yesterday morning' date=' I was reading through the TV guide for the week and it got featured in the highlights section, with a great review.What can I say but wow - what an eye-opening, jaw dropping, disturbing and shocking account of the goings on in Miami & South Florida during the late 70s and early 80s. I had heard about it, but never knew exactly how bad it was. I have to admit that I had to look away when they were showing the gory photos. But even if someone just listened to that movie, they would still be stunned by what they hear. It made Miami Vice seem unbelievably tame compared to to this.Is there anyone here who lived in Miami/South Florida during that time? If I lived there, I probably would have moved somewhere else! Especially with that woman Griselda going around and shooting so many people. How scary.[/quote']I lived there from 1984 to 1989. Even back then it was a large metropolitan area so not everyone was directly affected. Some, who could leave, did so. My uncle was one who moved his family after being caught in a crossfire between two rival drug gangs in Hisleah. It only affected me when my home was burglarized twice and my office twice. There was a lot of petty smash and grab crime, even in the best areas. The cops said most of it was drug users trying to feed their habit. I still enjoyed living there. They say things are better now.

I lived there from 1984 to 1989. Even back then it was a large metropolitan area so not everyone was directly affected. Some' date=' who could leave, did so. My uncle was one who moved his family after being caught in a crossfire between two rival drug gangs in Hisleah. It only affected me when my home was burglarized twice and my office twice. There was a lot of petty smash and grab crime, even in the best areas. The cops said most of it was drug users trying to feed their habit. I still enjoyed living there. They say things are better now.[/quote']Wow, so you lived there during the "Vice years." Still would have been quite a tumultuous time there. Sounds scary what your uncle went through, and also yourself with those burglaries. Yeah I've heard that crime rates have decreased over the last 10 years. So hopefully that keeps improving. But I guess that those who lived there during that time just have to look at Miami's skyline to be reminded of what went on during that time. And that's what they re-iterated at the end of that doco - about how a lot of those buildings that have shaped Miami were funded by drug money. Bittersweet really.