Artists that were heard more than you imagined on Miami Vice

ivoryjones

I'd say the music of Miami Vice is as important to me as it is the cast.Even so, as there are so many songs there, I still learn some artists played a bigger role in MV than I thought.Cases like Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel are quite obvious, as you run into them in many eps and in many seasons.But I'm astonished to learn not so obvious connections, after all those years, after uncountable full runs of the series.For instance, though I was quite sure Robert Plant was heard on "Junk Love" and "Freefall", only now I recognize his music was also played on "Fruit Of The Poison Tree".I was also surprised that Steve Winwood was on "Trust Fund Pirates" (knew very well his music from "Down For the Count" and "By Hooker By Crook")."Mike & The Mechanics" is another example. As a kind of a "faceless" band (even though "Mike" was from a little obscure band from the 20th century called "Genesis" LOL), I bet many are surprised to learn their music was heard more than once in MV.Even though I've seen Miami Vice "music lists" (even by artist!), still I get connections I was never aware of. I must have read about it, but with hundreds of tracks, there's still room for "Oh, so his/her/their music was also in that ep???!!!"Do you still have this happening to you, regarding a particular artist? After all those years?

I live in Niagara, in Canada, and we have what is called "CANCON" on our radio networks. This ensures that Canadian content is played on all radio stations. It was quite new in the 80's but it was great to hear some of our most prominent artists on the number one tv show.ie:Kim Mitchell - Go for a SodaHoneymoon Suite - Bad Attitude and New Girl Now.I personally connected with these as I was tickeled pink to hear my hometown boys be on my favourite show.

• Administrators

Small interesting tidbit here. Whenever I'm in Toronto I listen to Q107 and Kim Mitchell himself is the afternoon DJ! He broadcasts from downtown Toronto at the Hard Rock Cafe at Younge & Dundas square. One of these days I'll have to stop in and say hi from all us Vice fans!

"Mike & The Mechanics" is another example. As a kind of a "faceless" band (even though "Mike" was from a little obscure band from the 20th century called "Genesis" LOL)' date=' I bet many are surprised to learn their music was heard more than once in MV.[/quote']Actually, Mike & The Mechanics were huge in the UK during the 80s! They're one of my mother's favourite bands to this day. Although you're probably right that they're much less well-known in the US.

Actually' date=' Mike & The Mechanics were huge in the UK during the 80s! They're one of my mother's favourite bands to this day. Although you're probably right that they're much less well-known in the US.[/quote']I didn't know this... To me they were more like a band with some big hits but that kind of band you hear the music on the radio but don't actually see them playing around (videos, videoclips, tours etc).It's kind of funny how Genesis members had a huge role on Miami Vice. Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins are among the artists with more songs played on the series, and in more episodes. Mike & The Mechanics, with Mike Rutherford, also had its place. Nevertheless, Genesis itself had only a minor contribution to MV: if I'm not wrong, only "Land of Confusion", which played on Freefall. Maybe because MV and Progressive Rock are different worlds (both of which I do like!)

Small interesting tidbit here. Whenever I'm in Toronto I listen to Q107 and Kim Mitchell himself is the afternoon DJ! He broadcasts from downtown Toronto at the Hard Rock Cafe at Younge & Dundas square. One of these days I'll have to stop in and say hi from all us Vice fans!

Your correct. Kim is sporting a new bald look (hahahahahahahahaha) and I listen all the time. He started that gig a few years ago.It's funny because a lot of former huge rock stars are now on the radio. The lead singer of Loverboy is on a station in Vancouver!Another one is Randy Bachman who does a show on CBC. I can't remember if the Guess Who or BTO had any music on Vice???I'll have to go look that up now......................

Actually' date=' Mike & The Mechanics were huge in the UK during the 80s! They're one of my mother's favourite bands to this day. Although you're probably right that they're much less well-known in the US.[/quote']They were well known in Canada. Played lots on playlists of many stations.Great music!

• 3 years later...

It's kind of funny how Genesis members had a huge role on Miami Vice. Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins are among the artists with more songs played on the series, and in more episodes. Mike & The Mechanics, with Mike Rutherford, also had its place. Nevertheless, Genesis itself had only a minor contribution to MV: if I'm not wrong, only "Land of Confusion", which played on Freefall. 

Yes!  Phil Collins had 5 songs if you include "Rat Race", Peter Gabriel had 7, and Mike + The Mechanics had 3.  Red 7 was produced by Mike Rutherford and he did some bass and vocals for them.  So that's 16 songs by the Genesis offshoots, compared to 1 song by Genesis itself, in the final episode of the series almost as an afterthought.

Solo artists from famous bands were a common theme on MV:

Glenn Frey and Don Henley of the Eagles

Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin

Pete Townsend and Roger Daltery of The Who

Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac

Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols

Andy Taylor of Duran Duran

Edited by airtommy

• 3 months later...

If you had told me in the 1990s that U2 was on MV, I would have laughed at you.  I was very surprised to find out that their music was used four times.

Funny you mentioned U2.

They were not yet huge but a small cult followed them until they became uber famous.

Back in the 70's I dj'd in Toronto and got free promo records from time to time. I still have a 45 that has "I will Follow" on both sides and it has printed on it "Not for retail sale" in bold letters.

Stations like CFNY in Toronto and Radio Luxemburg played lots of progressive music waaaaaaaay before they became mainstream.

The music guy at MV was sharp and had a good ear. I think that is why the show was so good. They didn't just play hits....... they MADE hits...