Stop SOPA and PIPA

Philippe

Guess what? If you share a copyrighted picture or a movie from one site on another, the proposed SOPA law (and its sister PIPA) would grant the US Government the right to take down the website you shared it on. This includes Facebook, Wikipedia, Twitter, Google+, miamiviceonline... everyone.:thumbsdown:

The law was designed to stop non-American websites from selling bootlegs on the internet, but it was written very poorly by non-technical people. If you think this is unfair, you need to let your representative know before they try to push these laws into existence.

PROTECT-IP is a bill that has been introduced in the Senate and the House and is moving quickly through Congress. It gives the government and corporations the ability to censor the net, in the name of protecting "creativity". The law would let the government or corporations censor entire sites-- they just have to convince a judge that the site is "dedicated to copyright infringement."

The government has already wrongly shut down sites without any recourse to the site owner. Under this bill, sharing a video with anything copyrighted in it, or what sites like Youtube and Twitter do, would be considered illegal behavior according to this bill.

According to the Congressional Budget Office, this bill would cost us $47 million tax dollars a year — that's for a fix that won't work, disrupts the internet, stifles innovation, shuts out diverse voices, and censors the internet. This bill is bad for creativity and does not protect your rights.

http://vimeo.com/31100268

Gotta love big brother!

Were getting over regulated, and micro managed. Another reason to dislike the current admin's U.S. BLOATED Government. :thumbsdown:

Were getting over regulated' date=' and micro managed. Another reason to dislike the current admin's U.S. BLOATED Government. :thumbsdown:[/quote']That really sucks big time.Thats the government for you.:evil:

Yeah, the copyright law gets more and more crazy... :evil: Guess I'm not the one to sign anything here because I'm not an American citizen, so I have to grieve in private. :cry:

Yeah' date=' the copyright law gets more and more crazy... :evil: Guess I'm not the one to sign anything here because I'm not an American citizen, so I have to grieve in private. :cry:[/quote']There are websites around the world that have said if this passes, they'll pull their own plug. I'm sure some of those sites have links to sign a petition to stop this.

From thehill.comHouse Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) announced on Friday that he will postpone consideration of his Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) until there is wider agreement on the controversial legislation."I have heard from the critics and I take seriously their concerns regarding proposed legislation to address the problem of online piracy," Smith said. "It is clear that we need to revisit the approach on how best to address the problem of foreign thieves that steal and sell American inventions and products."Smith's announcement came just minutes after Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) announced he would shelve the Senate's version of the anti-piracy legislation, the Protect IP Act.The move is a stunning acknowledgment of failure for the powerful chairman.Smith was the author of SOPA and its most vocal proponent. He had repeatedly said the bill did not need to be changed and accused the critics of "spreading lies." But support for the bill collapsed after a massive Web protest on Wednesday. Major sites including Google and Wikipedia either shut down in protest or displayed messages opposing the legislation.

Dingy Harry blinked...looks like we won this round for now!

All he did was delay a "test vote" because he knew he would lose. Once it's re-written, they'll be back.