80s icon Whitney Houston has died

CarolineUK

One singer who reminds me of the original Miami Vice years of the early to mid 80s was Whitney Houston. Like Vice, she was an 80s icon at the start of the MTV videos. It is sad that her personal battle with narcotics and suchlike have overshadowed this once great singing talent. My thoughts go to her family and her children. RIP

Sad to see such a set of pipes as hers disappear.There are few that have the ability to sing such as she did.She was a "Diva"in every sense of the word.She will be missed...

Sad news indeed."I Wanna Dance with Somebody" was one of my favorite songs from her.

Also to me this song brings back a lot of 80s memories!We spent dozens of hours our youth to dance to this song!Great memories!RIP WHITNEY!!!

Sad to see such a set of pipes as hers disappear.There are few that have the ability to sing such as she did.She was a "Diva"in every sense of the word.She will be missed...

She really did have a very strong set of pipes on her, and it helped make her stand out. She had such a pretty smile too.I'll be curious to see if drugs played a part in her death.

I'll be curious to see if drugs played a part in her death.

According to the latest news that I heard in our local radiostation Witney was seen heavily drunk on the night before at a party. Insiders reported she was taking sedatives regularly. So that in a combination might lead to a passing out and she drowned as she was having a bath. [TABLE][TR][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Yahoo article said she was taking Xanax and drinking alcohol. It's a shame that after so many people have overdosed or just plain ruined their lives, there are still people taking drugs. Especially, people like Whitney & M. Jackson who had it all as far as talent & money.My favorite song is " The Greatest Love of All ". I performed that one for my daughter's 8th grade graduation class in 1996.

Yahoo article said she was taking Xanax and drinking alcohol. It's a shame that after so many people have overdosed or just plain ruined their lives' date=' there are still people taking drugs. Can't they learn from others' mistakes? :rolleyes:Especially, people like Whitney & M. Jackson who had it all as far as talent & money.My favorite song is " The Greatest Love of All ". I performed that one for my daughter's 8th grade graduation class in 1996.[/quote']Thats a great song Tony D - also "Didnt we almost have it all":D

I felt very sorry when I heard about the news.

Tony D.Yahoo article said she was taking Xanax and drinking alcohol. It's a shame that after so many people have overdosed or just plain ruined their lives, there are still people taking drugs. Can't they learn from others' mistakes?

For people who´d had drug problems once it´s always hard to forgo the temptation of drugs. Whitney Houston had had more than one withdrawal, but I think that she relapsed after the tour she had planned after her comeback in 2009/2010 ended in a desaster.I´m sure she had known that it was wrong to use drugs again, but obviously she was too weak.

Yahoo article said she was taking Xanax and drinking alcohol. It's a shame that after so many people have overdosed or just plain ruined their lives' date=' there are still people taking drugs. Especially, people like Whitney & M. Jackson who had it all as far as talent & money.[/quote']It truly is sad. Aren't drugs great?

• Administrators

True she was a great talent. I enjoyed many of her songs but if drugs or alcohol are to blame then I'm sorry, I don't have much sympathy. Way too many people in this world have life by the balls, so to speak, and they still manage to throw it all away.Here's a great song of her's: "Didn't We Almost Have It All" Yes Whitney, you almost did!

A sad event for sure as she had a fantastic singing voice in the 80s and early 90s. As to drug or alcohol abuse I do know that people are hard-wired (i.e. born) to be predisposed to having an addictive disease, whether it be behavioral or chemical. Addicts use their substance(s) of choice initially to feel good and many also use to deal with life stressing events or even because of psychological disorders (e.g. depression). But the more they use the more their tolerance increases, leading to greater consumption or shifts to even more powerful substances. And Hollywood is known for excess, and availability of anything and everything. Unfortunately an addict often cannot pull themselves out of this spiral without help, sometimes intervention, and addiction is a medical illness. It doesn't excuse the person from owning up to their own actions but it is a disease/illness.And then there is Hollywood....

A sad event for sure as she had a fantastic singing voice in the 80s and early 90s. As to drug or alcohol abuse I do know that people are hard-wired (i.e. born) to be predisposed to having an addictive disease' date=' whether it be behavioral or chemical. Addicts use their substance(s) of choice initially to feel good and many also use to deal with life stressing events or even because of psychological disorders (e.g. depression). But the more they use the more their tolerance increases, leading to greater consumption or shifts to even more powerful substances. And Hollywood is known for excess, and availability of anything and everything. Unfortunately an addict often cannot pull themselves out of this spiral without help, sometimes intervention, and addiction is a medical illness. It doesn't excuse the person from owning up to their own actions but it is a disease/illness.And then there is Hollywood....[/quote']Looks like drugs but tragic like Michael Jackson:D