Miami buildings refurbished for Miami Vice

DefinitelyCrockett

After watching the documentary movie Cocaine Cowboys the other night, it got me thinking about exactly how many/which buildings in Miami were revitalised/refurbished for the filming of Miami Vice. At the end of the documentary, they discussed Miami Vice & showed various bits of footage, including how they would take derelict buildings and fix them up. Is there any record of which buildings were fixed for the show, and maybe any photos of these buildings before and then after they were fixed up? I know that for some of these buildings it's not possible to see how they look now because they would have been demolished, so wonder if there were any sort of photos taken back then during the 80s?

After watching the documentary movie Cocaine Cowboys the other night' date=' it got me thinking about exactly how many/which buildings in Miami were revitalised/refurbished for the filming of Miami Vice. At the end of the documentary, they discussed Miami Vice & showed various bits of footage, including how they would take derelict buildings and fix them up. Is there any record of which buildings were fixed for the show, and maybe any photos of these buildings before and then after they were fixed up? I know that for some of these buildings it's not possible to see how they look now because they would have been demolished, so wonder if there were any sort of photos taken back then during the 80s?[/quote']I don't have that interesting bit of info. I know this isn't really what you had in mind, but...The closest I have is a rare shot of how they fixed up a building just for an episode of MIAMI VICE. Soon after the scenes were shot, the stuff on the buildings were dismantled. This location was used by Miami Vice at least twice, perhaps more.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?15819-RARE-SEXWORLD-PHOTO!

Yeah, those kinds of photos :cool: And with photos of what the buildings looked like before. Actually, it would be really cool to see what a building looked like before Vice, how they fixed it up for Vice, and then what it looks like now (even if the site has been redeveloped/demolished).I just thought that back when the production team were looking for filming sites, they would have gone around Miami taking photos of buildings for possible shooting locations.When they were discussing Miami Vice on Cocaine Cowboys, they showed pics like this, and that's what made me wonder about how they would fix a building like this up:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildJust as an idea, kind of looking for this sort of thing:Before:Eingefügtes BildAfter:Eingefügtes BildBefore:Eingefügtes BildAfter:Eingefügtes Bild

Interesting they did it a few times but not sure which ones - be good to know.:D

That building (SEX WORLD) was used for the teaser in MADE FOR EACH OTHER, and, LITTLE MISS DANGEROUS.

After watching the documentary movie Cocaine Cowboys the other night' date=' it got me thinking about exactly how many/which buildings in Miami were revitalised/refurbished for the filming of Miami Vice. At the end of the documentary, they discussed Miami Vice & showed various bits of footage, including how they would take derelict buildings and fix them up. Is there any record of which buildings were fixed for the show, and maybe any photos of these buildings before and then after they were fixed up? I know that for some of these buildings it's not possible to see how they look now because they would have been demolished, so wonder if there were any sort of photos taken back then during the 80s?[/quote']You might have an interest in this thread... Especically the photos of the interior and exterior of THE SENATOR on page one which was used a lot in the episode MILK RUN. Saddly, the building no longer exists.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?15880-VICE-LOCATION-POSTCARDS!

Thanks for the link :cool: I do remember seeing that thread a while ago & thoroughly enjoyed it. Those postcards are priceless little treasures :thumbsup: Shame that a character building like The Senator has been demolished. Would have been awesome if someone had bought it and renovated it instead.I recently bought 2 great books - South Beach Deco and MiMo - Miami Modern Revealed (which was hard to find, but sourced one on Amazon). The photos are amazing.Would be so great to have a book specifically dedicated to Miami Vice building transformations though! :cool:

Would be so great to have a book specifically dedicated to Miami Vice building transformations though! :cool:

I absolutely agree! I'd buy that book in a "heartbeat" (if you can excuse the Don Johnson song pun) :)

That building (SEX WORLD) was used for the teaser in MADE FOR EACH OTHER' date=' and, LITTLE MISS DANGEROUS.[/quote']It was also used in Red Tape. (club scenes with Tubbs and McIntyre)

Shame that a character building like The Senator has been demolished. Would have been awesome if someone had bought it and renovated it instead.I recently bought 2 great books - South Beach Deco and MiMo - Miami Modern Revealed (which was hard to find' date=' but sourced one on Amazon). The photos are amazing.Would be so great to have a book specifically dedicated to Miami Vice building transformations though! :cool:[/quote']When I went on the official South Beach Art Deco walking tour run by the Miami Design Preservation League (which is well worth it for anyone interested in the deco architecture) we were shown the location of the former Senator - it is opposite the Marlin and after being demolished it was and still is a flat piece of ground used as a car park. How tragic is that??? I've added a link to their site below & on their front page is a pic of the Senator! http://www.mdpl.org/In their shop at the Welcome center on Ocean Drive they had some deco books & I was tempted but I had aircraft luggage weight allowance to consider :cry:If anyone loves art deco furniture, the Wolfsonian museum in South Beach is worth a visit. They also have a good bookshop on history, architecture etc. I've put in a link to the art deco section:http://www.wolfsonian.org/explore/collections/collection-themes/art-deco

http://www.mdpl.org/In their shop at the Welcome center on Ocean Drive they had some deco books & I was tempted but I had aircraft luggage weight allowance to consider :cry:If anyone loves art deco furniture' date=' the Wolfsonian museum in South Beach is worth a visit. They also have a good bookshop on history, architecture etc. I've put in a link to the art deco section:http://www.wolfsonian.org/explore/collections/collection-themes/art-deco

This is great, and valueable information. Thanks for sharing with us CarolineUK.

This is great' date=' and valueable information. Thanks for sharing with us CarolineUK.[/quote']You're welcome, Coop! By the way, on the walking tour the guide discussed the importance of Miami Vice in bringing the world's attention to the area & how great it looked on screen that everybody wanted to visit. Fashion houses then started to do fashion shoots with their models around South Beach and then you got the "beautiful people" coming back as it was the in place to be seen. Of course this was coupled with the work by Barbara Capitan & co to save the deco buildings otherwise it would have become what Sunny Isles is today - Trump Towers central!! Thank heavens for Miami Vice :D :D

I absolutely agree! I'd buy that book in a "heartbeat" (if you can excuse the Don Johnson song pun) :)

Hahaha - yeah on this website, I think you can be excused for that :)

http://www.mdpl.org/In their shop at the Welcome center on Ocean Drive they had some deco books & I was tempted but I had aircraft luggage weight allowance to consider :cry:If anyone loves art deco furniture' date=' the Wolfsonian museum in South Beach is worth a visit. They also have a good bookshop on history, architecture etc. I've put in a link to the art deco section:http://www.wolfsonian.org/explore/collections/collection-themes/art-deco

Thanks for this info CarolineUK :cool: Art Deco architecture has always fascinated me & MDPL sound like a fantastic organisation. Ditto - thank goodness for them and for Miami Vice, for helping contribute to the preservation all those unique gems in South Beach. I'm guessing it's safe to say that there's no other place in the world like it.Must pick up those deco books when I eventually go to Miami!

Thanks for this info CarolineUK :cool: Art Deco architecture has always fascinated me & MDPL sound like a fantastic organisation. Ditto - thank goodness for them and for Miami Vice' date=' for helping contribute to the preservation all those unique gems in South Beach. I'm guessing it's safe to say that there's no other place in the world like it.Must pick up those deco books when I eventually go to Miami![/quote']Art deco buildings are just so beautiful and sum up Miami and MV well!:D