No Miami Vice stuff in Miami

JesperRH

Hi thereI have just finished a vacation in Miami. I've had a great time, and I also got the time to visit some of the old vice-locations. But I was wondering that no shops, no locations (of them i've seen) is mentioning the show/or have items refering to the show. I understand that the show meant a big deal to Miami and was one of the major courses, of the following big tourism.I haven't search every part of the town i must say, but a great deal of touristshops, specialstores ect ect...My wife and I ate lunch at The Carlyle one day, and that place in particular is a special vice place if you ask me - but nothing is metioned about the show, and if I didn't knew it already, there were no hints about the place special past.Can anyone shed light on if there is a special reason for that, has it something to do with copyrights, or is it illegal to refer to a tv-show or is Miami Vice not a thing to talk about anymore in Miami??Regards from Jesper

• Administrators

Well it's been over 25 years since the show first aired and Miami has gone through a lot of changes since. Aside from people simply forgetting I can't think of any other reason to NOT talk about the show.

.You're right, it's been a long time since the show aired.. I just had the impression that the show did something radically to Miami that still holds today and the series still is a kind of mascot to the city (it might be my naive european view :o)That's why i wondered when i was visited some of the souvenirshops and clealy could buy lot's of Florida licenseplates, cocacola posters, art deco pictures, but never could find just a sticker with our friends from the program.But I love being there anyway!! :o)

HiI'm glad you had a great time there - I love going there too. Miami Vice is mentioned on some of the tours but the only location I've seen that mentions the show is the Clay Hotel on Espanola Way. In the reception there is a noticeboard which shows some photos taken while the show was being filmed there. Next time I go. I'll try and remember to get a shot of the board to post it on here.

Well,... i was afraid to think about this situation, but now someone told about it. And yes, visit Miami without a Vice tour its useless.Imagine to be at the carlyle where Don was standing there on the pilot. Imagine visit that gas station where Rico and Sonny had a chat about Sonny´s past....

I think it's odd that there is nothing sold in the stores there, that have to do with MIAMI VICE. How odd. Places in California where something was filmed, and made famous, always has things to sell.How MIAMI VICE would have nothing, is unthinkable!! MIAMI VICE is what brought about change in MIAMI. This is sad news.

Yeah I also find it sad, but again, I haven't search every single place, so there is a possibility that there actually is a shop somewhere dealing with some MV-stuff. I went to different souvenir-shops though, some of them on oceans drive and i also visited the art deco souvenirshop which contains severel items from the past (also the 80's) besides the main art deco things, but there were nothing. I didn't see items from any newer shows though, so i guessed that the reason probably were about some copyright-stuff??But besides the whole missing MV-item-thing i have talked about, it was great to see that some of the locations i've visited did'nt have change much since the show :o))

If I were in charge of things (ha) I would have a marker at every known Miami Vice location. They would include information on the episode and scene filmed at the location. I had that thought years ago as DanJ and I were sussing out the exact location of the phone booth at Bernay's on Watson Island. We thought that it was a shame that the city did not have a marker there and perhaps we should go in the middle of the night and install one. With modern technology maybe I don't have to take over the world to make it happen. Just create an ap. like the history channel where you travel around and your smart phone will notify you of the proximity of nearby vice locations and guide you to the exact spot. Then maybe play the corresponding clip and give detailed background of the scene. Now that's an idea. I will have to look into that as I continue to develop my location site.

Well' date='... i was afraid to think about this situation, but now someone told about it. And yes, visit Miami without a Vice tour its useless.Imagine to be at the carlyle where Don was standing there on the pilot. Imagine visit that gas station where Rico and Sonny had a chat about Sonny´s past....[/quote']I have been fortunate to have been taken around the cities by the likes of DanJ and MiamiJim (and to have gone one time with my eagle-eyed daughter who spotted locations like a professional!) so I've come home to rewatch eps & appreciate the show all the more. I have to say I preferred seeing the Carlyle on earlier trips when the place didn't have lots of party-people outside although on my last trip I did sit about a foot away from where DJ had stood all those years ago. I also got to go inside the Carlyle (which I hadn't been able to before as it was closed up) so I was delighted. It doesn't matter how many times I see the Vice locations when I'm out there, I still get a buzz from it & can't wait to get back and watch the show!

The Miami Vice 2006 Movie had even less Miami in thanks to Mr Michael Mann - and if people wish to scout out the majority of those locations out they have to go to the Dominican Republic, Panama and Florida Keys :D

Guest MetroVice

Hollywood has a saying that goes, "What have you done for me lately?". Unfortunately, Miami Vice was a long time ago and people tend to forget about it the more time goes by. The sad reality about this is unless it was something that happened yesterday things tend to fade from memory, or at least be remembered with less clarity.I think it's so easy for people to forget about certain aspects of how or why a place like Miami gets famous. Miami Vice was more than just a hit tv show. It actually changed the way people looked at television, music, and hugely changed men's fashion and fashion for both genders in general. Yet as already pointed out there are almost no credits to the show in the one place it was primarily filmed, and it's sad as hell to see this.I'm in Miami several times every week and there's almost no place in Dade County I haven't personally set foot onto (heck, almost nowhere in south FL for that matter). I also see very little mention of the show, even at the locations the most memorable parts of Vice was shot. I also wish there was some kind of marker or something that commemorated the show at these locations because the more time passes us by even *more* will be forgotten about Vice and all it did for this great city. Eventually, after a generation has passed, no one will remember it and that *really* makes me sad to even think about it :cry:I for one am VERY glad I live in the area and can go to Miami anytime I please and visit these locations on a whim. It reminds me of a time when Vice was in production and I couldn't wait for Friday night to roll around and a whole new exciting episode would air. After all these years I still love this show, and even though I live in the area it was filmed I still love visiting the shooting locations because it keeps this great show fresh in my memories. I swear, I don't know of any other tv show that has influenced real life in so many ways than Miami Vice. Having actually seen the production crew shooting on numerous occasions back in the day I have a unique perspective of Vice. I just wish I could have been associated with the show, even if only to empty trash on the set!It would be really great if there were some way to mark or otherwise commemorate the shooting locations of Vice. I for one will NEVER forget the show.

The Miami Vice 2006 Movie had even less Miami in thanks to Mr Michael Mann - and if people wish to scout out the majority of those locations out they have to go to the Dominican Republic' date=' Panama and Florida Keys :D[/quote']Well at least some of those places are proud that Miami Vice filmed there and put up big signs at the filming locations bragging about it.Eingefügtes Bild

I think it's odd that there is nothing sold in the stores there' date=' that have to do with MIAMI VICE. How odd. Places in California where something was filmed, and made famous, always has things to sell.How MIAMI VICE would have nothing, is unthinkable!! MIAMI VICE is what brought about change in MIAMI. This is sad news.[/quote']Theres no Miami Vice stuff in Miami because Coop bought eeeeeeeeeverythiiiinng....

Well at least some of those places are proud that Miami Vice filmed there and put up big signs at the filming locations bragging about it.Eingefügtes Bild

I would correct it to: "Aqui si filmó "Vicio in Miami", that piece of garbage...."

• Administrators

Well, for those of us still heavily influenced by the show (members of this site) we find it unthinkable that the show is not remembered in Miami! I guess in the great scheme of things we tend to forget that we are the minority here. Most people would prefer to label us as wackos who still worship a 25 year old TV show.Hey if I'm a wacko, so be it! In my eyes it's their loss!

If they can build a Robocop statue in Detroit, we can build a Vice statue! Summer project?I am sure there is more stuff honoring Vice, just off our conventional radars. Surely, for example, there are proclamations from the mayor, autographed photos in restaurants here and there...

Theres no Miami Vice stuff in Miami because Coop bought eeeeeeeeeverythiiiinng....

Guilty as charged.

Miami Vice was a long time ago and people tend to forget the more times goes by. The sad reality about this is unless it was something that happened yesterday things fade from memory and everything tends to go back the way it was before all the changes that made Miami famous took place.I think it's so easy for people to forget about certain aspects of how or why a place like Miami gets famous. Miami Vice was more than just a hit tv show. It actually changed the way people looked at television, music, and hugely changed men's fashion and fashion in general. Yet as already pointed out there are almost no credits to the show in the one place it was primarily filmed, and it's sad as hell to see this.I'm in Miami several times every week and there's almost no place in Dade County I haven't personally set foot onto (heck, almost nowhere in south FL for that matter). I also see very little mention of the show, even at the locations the most memorable parts of Vice was shot. I also wish there was some kind of marker or something that commemorated the show at these locations because the more times passes even *more* will be forgotten about Vice and all it did for this great city. Eventually, after a generation has passed, no one will remember it and that *really* makes me sad to even think about that :cry:I for one am VERY glad I live in the area and can go to Miami anytime I please and visit these locations at any time. It reminds me of a time when Vice was in production and I couldn't wait for Friday night to roll around and a whole new exciting episode would air. After all these years I still love this show, and even though I live in the area it was filmed I still love visiting the shooting locations because it keeps this great show fresh in my memories. I swear, I don't know of any other tv show that has influenced real life in so many way than Miami Vice.It would be really great if there were some way to mark or otherwise commemorate the shooting locations of Vice. I for one will NEVER forget the show.

Has anyone local checked with the local Chamber of Commerce, or the Local Dept. of Tourism on this?

Guest MetroVice
Well' date=' for those of us still heavily influenced by the show (members of this site) we find it unthinkable that the show is not remembered in Miami! I guess in the great scheme of things we tend to forget that we are the minority here. Most people would prefer to label us as wackos who still worship a 25 year old TV show.Hey if I'm a wacko, so be it! In my eyes it's their loss![/quote']Yeah, that's the truth. My son has never understood why I love this show so much and he thinks I'm a little *off* to regularly watch it like I do. But he's one of those people that cant stand Jan Hammer style music and rolls his eyes if she should hear it. He say's it's the "fake drum sound" as he puts it that turns him off to the whole show. Oh well, once again I guess that's what makes us all unique individuals in life :rolleyes:Maybe we are the minority as far as the rest of the world goes in relation to Vice but that's okay with me. Those of us who truly love the show are smart enough to recognize how groundbreaking it was in it's day. But we live in a world where shows like Jersey Shore have continued popularity and support and remain in production as long if not longer than Vice did, which tells you something about our culture in general. Peoples' values have radically changed and I'm sad to report it's not for the better. And while they flock to watch nasty shows like JS the rest of us are just trying to remember quality production entertainment like Vice and it can really get to you at times when you realize what is important to some people today.I've said this before but I greatly appreciate this website and all it's content and those of us who love to commit some time here. I appreciate everyone who posts and love visiting this great site. Although I don't visit here as often as I'd like to I am very happy there's a real place for us so mingle and share our love of this great show :thumbsup:

Well at least some of those places are proud that Miami Vice filmed there and put up big signs at the filming locations bragging about it.Eingefügtes Bild

Nice ! The movie did highlight some wonderful locations such as Cuba and Dominican Republic - but little Miami !:D

its sad:cry:maybe people in Miami are moving on culturally,progress to new heights.all of those music events and festivals obscurest the fame of Miami Vice.but I hope there is still at least one shop which have some MV stuff

Back when the show was originally airing, there used to be an NBC store at the Bayside Marketplace that sold tons of Miami Vice items (I got my MV t-shirt there). These days those items are hard to find here (but you'll find plenty of "Scarface" items)...

Perhaps local fans should start a grass roots effort to recognize MIAMI VICE in the city of MIAMI.MIAMI owes a lot to MIAMI VICE.