Give a Little, Take a Little - Worst Edited Episode OF Season 1???

Tonysmallz

hi everyone i love the plot and acting in the episode but has anyone else noticed how choppy it is in scenes, like the scene when don takes the young kid from the warehouse to give me a real talking to,it apears to cut and stop about 2 or 3 times??? it happens a number of times throughout the episode.its really bad editing.any one else notice...

Yeah, just watched that episode again. Some minor flaws with some scenes. But I really like that episode, Dons jackets are damn fine and I like how we get to see some bits of Gina and Trudy and their private life / feelings.

Yeah' date=' just watched that episode again. Some minor flaws with some scenes. But I really like that episode, Dons jackets are damn fine and I like how we get to see some bits of Gina and Trudy and their private life / feelings.[/quote']I agree only minor flaws - could have been director related :thumbsup::D

hi everyone i love the plot and acting in the episode but has anyone else noticed how choppy it is in scenes' date=' like the scene when don takes the young kid from the warehouse to give me a real talking to,it apears to cut and stop about 2 or 3 times??? it happens a number of times throughout the episode.its really bad editing.any one else notice...[/quote']I agree. Good episode, but choppy editing. Don't forget the same choppy editing when Bob Ricker is telling his wife that he got arrested in their home. He sits on the counter, and there is cut, after cut, after cut. Actually, he smokes, and throws the cig in the sink if I recall, but it's edited out. You can, in one scene, see him exhale with smoke coming out of his mouth.The show was new, and groundbreaking. Could they have been experimenting with editing styles??
  • Like 1

I agree. Good episode' date=' but choppy editing. Don't forget the same choppy editing when Bob Rickert is telling his wife that he got arrested in their home. He sits on the counter, and there is cut, after cut, after cut. Actually, he smokes, and throws the cig in the sink if I recall, but it's edited out. You can, in one scene, see him exhale with smoke coming out of his mouth.The show was new, and groundbreaking. Could they have been experimenting with editing styles??[/quote']I have one of the original shooting scripts to give a little, take a little, and the scene had more words. It doesn't mention him smoking (he was originally shot smoking, but it was edited out.) but it showed his wife with more lines. The script also lists Bob Rickert's wife as being named "Jan Rickert". The script actually has many differnences that what is on screen.
  • Like 1

i wounder what made them edit it? time constraints?i really love this episode its a shame a few things let it down...but still id watch it anyday no problem...:D

i wounder what made them edit it? time constraints?i really love this episode its a shame a few things let it down...but still id watch it anyday no problem...:D

Having been through the editing process before, I can pretty much bet the house that the choppiness was due to an infamous tv thing called 'notes.' It's a little complicated and sometimes political, but the editing process goes something like this:1. The editor assigned to an episode starts putting the episode together as its being shot (footage comes in and the editor starts piecing it together). Most network shows have a rotation of two lead editors, alternating the episodes they work on. Editing is an arduous process, so this is why they trade off. If you had only one lead editor, he'd go crazy.2. Once filming an episode finishes (wraps), the director works with the lead editor in the editing room and puts together the episode at the director's discretion (I've seen fights between editors and directors...some egos at play here).3. The 'director's cut' is shown to the showrunner (the person who is responsible for the hands on running of the show...he works in the writers office). This gets tricky, too. By DGA guidelines/rules, the director does not have to show his episode to anyone unless he wants to (there's a deadline he has to make of course).4. The episode is 'approved' by the showrunner and sent to the studio (ie: Universal in Miami Vice's case).5. If it's a new show, the studio will have tons of notes. It's usually a bunch of suits sitting around on a conference call with the director and show runner, trying to sound really smart. Another parade of egos.6. Once the studios notes have been addressed, another 'cut' is sent to the network. More notes. 7. All of this happens under the gun: there are deadlines to be met and the show has to be finalized in editing with color, sound, music, etc. So the clock is always ticking in some way.8. A 'final cut' is sent out for airing.Again, this is a real simple breakdown of how it sorta works. I've seen disasterous episodes where the director had no idea what he was doing and the tone of the show has gone out the window. The studio or network has to pay for re-shoots and an episode's air date gets pushed. I've seen episodes where the showrunner pushes back against the studio or network. Even against the standards and practices people who don't like the use of a word, ie: 'bitch' or 'prick' or whatever. More delays.When you add all this up, and then apply it to what was accomplished in an hour's worth of Miami Vice, it's remarkable the show was made at all. If you see a choppy seen, it's probably because of a few things: the episode had to be cut up to make it's run time correct (just like you imagined!); the studio/network had massive notes and the editors couldn't fix the continuity in an extremely short amount of time (while prepping for the next episode), or, someone was afraid to speak up and say, 'hey, this doesn't work.'C&B: I'd be curious to know if the script copy you have has colored pages in it. As you probably know, the colored pages signify re-writes as the episodes writing and/or shooting progresses, to address all sorts of different problems.
  • Like 2

Having been through the editing process before' date=' I can pretty much bet the house that the choppiness was due to an infamous tv thing called 'notes.' It's a little complicated and sometimes political, but the editing process goes something like this:1. The editor assigned to an episode starts putting the episode together as its being shot (footage comes in and the editor starts piecing it together). Most network shows have a rotation of two lead editors, alternating the episodes they work on. Editing is an arduous process, so this is why they trade off. If you had only one lead editor, he'd go crazy.2. Once filming an episode finishes (wraps), the director works with the lead editor in the editing room and puts together the episode at the director's discretion (I've seen fights between editors and directors...some egos at play here).3. The 'director's cut' is shown to the showrunner (the person who is responsible for the hands on running of the show...he works in the writers office). This gets tricky, too. By DGA guidelines/rules, the director does not have to show his episode to anyone unless he wants to (there's a deadline he has to make of course).4. The episode is 'approved' by the showrunner and sent to the studio (ie: Universal in Miami Vice's case).5. If it's a new show, the studio will have tons of notes. It's usually a bunch of suits sitting around on a conference call with the director and show runner, trying to sound really smart. Another parade of egos.6. Once the studios notes have been addressed, another 'cut' is sent to the network. More notes. 7. All of this happens under the gun: there are deadlines to be met and the show has to be finalized in editing with color, sound, music, etc. So the clock is always ticking in some way.8. A 'final cut' is sent out for airing.Again, this is a real simple breakdown of how it sorta works. I've seen disasterous episodes where the director had no idea what he was doing and the tone of the show has gone out the window. The studio or network has to pay for re-shoots and an episode's air date gets pushed. I've seen episodes where the showrunner pushes back against the studio or network. Even against the standards and practices people who don't like the use of a word, ie: 'bitch' or 'prick' or whatever. More delays.When you add all this up, and then apply it to what was accomplished in an hour's worth of Miami Vice, it's remarkable the show was made at all. If you see a choppy seen, it's probably because of a few things: the episode had to be cut up to make it's run time correct (just like you imagined!); the studio/network had massive notes and the editors couldn't fix the continuity in an extremely short amount of time (while prepping for the next episode), or, someone was afraid to speak up and say, 'hey, this doesn't work.'C&B: I'd be curious to know if the script copy you have has colored pages in it. As you probably know, the colored pages signify re-writes as the episodes writing and/or shooting progresses, to address all sorts of different problems.[/quote']Thanks Charlie, for the insight into editing, directing and the politics of it. Deadlines, deadlines and more deadlines.

• 3 years later...
On ‎07‎-‎06‎-‎2012 at 9:04 PM, Brother in Arms said:

wow , i love the episode:thumbsup:, i find the story very good,:thumbsup:, the music by etta james is amazing:thumbsup:, and the music by brain ray " today s a beginning "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYYeonnen4M

i give the episode 10 points:clap::thumbsup::cool:

I really like that one, "Today is a new beginning", too bad it can't be found anywhere on YouTube.

I emailed Brian Ray about these tunes on the episode. His response included incredibly well-versed details of the recordings! He said he would try and dig copies for me, but I never heard back. Maybe the Paul McCartney gig takes all his extra time these days ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10.05.2016 at 11:43 PM, nofretz said:

His response included incredibly well-versed details of the recordings!

What did he write about the recordings ?

Just details about all the gear he used and how it went down. Wish I could remember all of them. It's amazing that he could!