The joy of watching Vice with a friend...

CharlieGlide

Last night, a friend of mine came over, last minute, to hang out. A few years back, I lent him the Vice box set since he had never really seen it before (he was going out on Friday nights while we were in high school, unlike yours truly). He was so impressed with the show, he told me he was going to dress like Crockett. Sure enough, he found some original Ray Bans from the '80s. Just like Crockett's.Back to last night: I threw in The Great McCarthy to show my friend 1) the cover band playing at the party, and 2) one of the extras who I think is very attractive and wears fantastic clothes.While watching the ep. my friend says, 'What's the episode where EJO has a fight with some dude in the alley? And there's another one where the old Chinese dude tells EJO he needs to find his trashcans?'"You're thinking of the Golden Triangle. And it's not trashcans. It's hubcaps."I put Golden Triangle II on for my friend so he could see the scene with General Lao Lee in the limo. He loved it. He kept asking me to play the scene over and over (which I did). He also loved how Castillo says something like, "My country is not your playground."We still had not addressed Castillo's fight in the alley. So, I played all of Golden Triangle, part I. Even though he'd seen it before, my friend was blown away, and knew exactly what to look for in the show. A former model, he asked me to pause a scene with Crockett. "You see what he's wearing there? Very smart how he's dressed: He's not wearing a belt. That was very fashion forward for the '80s. Bryan Ferry, to this day, does not wear a belt when he wears a suit. It's a very progressive style."I never really noticed that before, although it was obvious. I love when someone points something out to me with fresh eyes. My friend didn't leave until close to midnight since we watched all that Vice and I paused and rewinded as necessary. My friend's other favorite line? "Bourbon, Julio."

That's awesome! I love explaining the show to a family member or a friend who has never seen the show. Few months months ago I was watching "Bushido" and my brother was walking past and got interested in the episode. After I explained the plot and stuff to him he was hooked.Once you catch a clip of MV your are hooked. BTW "Bushido". is now his favorite episode lol

I watch online simultaneously with my American friend, a fellow Vice fan. We chat via google talk whilst watching and scrutinise every scene, sometimes deadly serious sometimes hilarious, it's such FUN and a real break from my reality. It can be tricky to organise with the 8 hour time difference , usually resulting in a late night, early morning for me, but worth it!!! Would be good if a whole GROUP of MV online members could meet up via google/ Skype and all watch at the same time.... That would be AMAZING!!

I watch online simultaneously with my American friend' date=' a fellow Vice fan. We chat via google talk whilst watching and scrutinise every scene, sometimes deadly serious sometimes hilarious, it's such FUN and a real break from my reality. It can be tricky to organise with the 8 hour time difference , usually resulting in a late night, early morning for me, but worth it!!! Would be good if a whole GROUP of MV online members could meet up via google/ Skype and all watch at the same time.... That would be AMAZING!![/quote']That's really cool and I understand why you do it...Vice is a world I love crawling into. And if you're chatting 8 time zones apart, that means your chat friend is Pacific Standard Time. Just like me!

Last night' date=' a friend of mine came over, last minute, to hang out. A few years back, I lent him the Vice box set since he had never really seen it before (he was going out on Friday nights while we were in high school, unlike yours truly). He was so impressed with the show, he told me he was going to dress like Crockett. Sure enough, he found some original Ray Bans from the '80s. Just like Crockett's.Back to last night: I threw in The Great McCarthy to show my friend 1) the cover band playing at the party, and 2) one of the extras who I think is very attractive and wears fantastic clothes.While watching the ep. my friend says, 'What's the episode where EJO has a fight with some dude in the alley? And there's another one where the old Chinese dude tells EJO he needs to find his trashcans?'"You're thinking of the Golden Triangle. And it's not trashcans. It's hubcaps."I put Golden Triangle II on for my friend so he could see the scene with General Lao Lee in the limo. He loved it. He kept asking me to play the scene over and over (which I did). He also loved how Castillo says something like, "My country is not your playground."We still had not addressed Castillo's fight in the alley. So, I played all of Golden Triangle, part I. Even though he'd seen it before, my friend was blown away, and knew exactly what to look for in the show. A former model, he asked me to pause a scene with Crockett. "You see what he's wearing there? Very smart how he's dressed: He's not wearing a belt. That was very fashion forward for the '80s. Bryan Ferry, to this day, does not wear a belt when he wears a suit. It's a very progressive style."I never really noticed that before, although it was obvious. I love when someone points something out to me with fresh eyes. My friend didn't leave until close to midnight since we watched all that Vice and I paused and rewinded as necessary. My friend's other favorite line? "Bourbon, Julio."[/quote']I enjoy reading stories like this CharlieGlide. :thumbsup:Keep "converting" them!

I enjoy reading stories like this CharlieGlide. :thumbsup:Keep "converting" them!

Thanks, C&B. If you haven't already, check out my Jon Polito story in the General forum. Not sure why it didn't show up on the main page feed.

Thanks' date=' C&B. If you haven't already, check out my Jon Polito story in the General forum. Not sure why it didn't show up on the main page feed.[/quote']I know what you mean. My Birthday thread for Kristina didn't show up on the main page either. Not thrilled with the new setup.

Good one Charlie!I wish I could instill that type of enthusiasm in some people, but they are passive to Vice until they see my boat. Then they want to see the Great McCarthy!!!???!!!???

Good one Charlie!I wish I could instill that type of enthusiasm in some people' date=' but they are passive to Vice until they see my boat. Then they want to see the Great McCarthy!!!???!!!???[/quote']Speaking of boats and The Great McCarthy, that Cary 50 footer looks so f'ing huge next to the Chris Craft.My friend and I were talking about that last night. I presumed that the director wanted the viewer to be able to pick out McCarthy's boat easily, especially with some of the long shots. That boat is just huge!

Last night' date=' a friend of mine came over, last minute, to hang out. A few years back, I lent him the Vice box set since he had never really seen it before (he was going out on Friday nights while we were in high school, unlike yours truly). He was so impressed with the show, he told me he was going to dress like Crockett. Sure enough, he found some original Ray Bans from the '80s. Just like Crockett's.Back to last night: I threw in The Great McCarthy to show my friend 1) the cover band playing at the party, and 2) one of the extras who I think is very attractive and wears fantastic clothes.While watching the ep. my friend says, 'What's the episode where EJO has a fight with some dude in the alley? And there's another one where the old Chinese dude tells EJO he needs to find his trashcans?'"You're thinking of the Golden Triangle. And it's not trashcans. It's hubcaps."I put Golden Triangle II on for my friend so he could see the scene with General Lao Lee in the limo. He loved it. He kept asking me to play the scene over and over (which I did). He also loved how Castillo says something like, "My country is not your playground."We still had not addressed Castillo's fight in the alley. So, I played all of Golden Triangle, part I. Even though he'd seen it before, my friend was blown away, and knew exactly what to look for in the show. A former model, he asked me to pause a scene with Crockett. "You see what he's wearing there? Very smart how he's dressed: He's not wearing a belt. That was very fashion forward for the '80s. Bryan Ferry, to this day, does not wear a belt when he wears a suit. It's a very progressive style."I never really noticed that before, although it was obvious. I love when someone points something out to me with fresh eyes. My friend didn't leave until close to midnight since we watched all that Vice and I paused and rewinded as necessary. My friend's other favorite line? "Bourbon, Julio."[/quote']Great story :D

Great to read your bud loves vice so much!I love it when other people are able to enjoy the show, even if they have never seen it before. I got my wife into Miami Vice and she loves it! Our fave ever MV episode is "Honor Among Thieves" 'Cus it's probably the darkest and creepist episode of MV ever, I like when DJ has too defend Del Gado as well.Same goes for my best friend Gavin. He will happily watch an episode of Vice with me and he loves the eps "Golden Triangle" & "Little Miss Dangerous" :)

Last night' date=' a friend of mine came over, last minute, to hang out. A few years back, I lent him the Vice box set since he had never really seen it before (he was going out on Friday nights while we were in high school, unlike yours truly). He was so impressed with the show, he told me he was going to dress like Crockett. Sure enough, he found some original Ray Bans from the '80s. Just like Crockett's.Back to last night: I threw in The Great McCarthy to show my friend 1) the cover band playing at the party, and 2) one of the extras who I think is very attractive and wears fantastic clothes.While watching the ep. my friend says, 'What's the episode where EJO has a fight with some dude in the alley? And there's another one where the old Chinese dude tells EJO he needs to find his trashcans?'"You're thinking of the Golden Triangle. And it's not trashcans. It's hubcaps."I put Golden Triangle II on for my friend so he could see the scene with General Lao Lee in the limo. He loved it. He kept asking me to play the scene over and over (which I did). He also loved how Castillo says something like, "My country is not your playground."We still had not addressed Castillo's fight in the alley. So, I played all of Golden Triangle, part I. Even though he'd seen it before, my friend was blown away, and knew exactly what to look for in the show. A former model, he asked me to pause a scene with Crockett. "You see what he's wearing there? Very smart how he's dressed: He's not wearing a belt. That was very fashion forward for the '80s. Bryan Ferry, to this day, does not wear a belt when he wears a suit. It's a very progressive style."I never really noticed that before, although it was obvious. I love when someone points something out to me with fresh eyes. My friend didn't leave until close to midnight since we watched all that Vice and I paused and rewinded as necessary. My friend's other favorite line? "Bourbon, Julio."[/quote']Another entertaining little story to read.:thumbsup:Thanks, CharlieGlide.Interesting that you point out the fashion and the absence of belts back in the 80's....it's something I hadn't noticed either....From reading your posts, it seems you are quite the fan of 'The Great McCarthy' episode. It is certainly one of my top favourites - it offers everything wrapped up in one episode.......quintessential vice. :glossy:

Another entertaining little story to read.:thumbsup:From reading your posts' date=' it seems you are quite the fan of 'The Great McCarthy' episode. It is certainly one of my top favourites - it offers everything wrapped up in one episode.......quintessential vice. :glossy:[/quote']Thanks, Juscat. I'm a fan of The Great McCarthy but it's prob. not in my top ten. I get really put off by how McCarthy was stylized. His hair is dorky (they should've put something in it to give it some style) and his wardrobe is pretty brutal. BUT...I love that this is more or less a 'Tubbs episode' and we get to hear Rico's Blues quite a bit. Plus, I'm a huge fan of power boats.When I was a young kid, a boat race would pass in front of our house called the Bushmill's Grand Prix (sponsored by the whiskey). I loved the roar of the boats and the chase helicopters. The sound of the boats hitting the swells is one of my favorite sounds in the world and you can hear it very well during the boat race in the episode......and there is that one chick at the party whom I would love to meet some day (with my wife's permission, haha).