Episode 68: Heroes of The Revolution

C Glide

There are some neat shots (stock) of NYC mid 1980s in this episode, the establishing Times Square shot and then Howard Johnson’s on Broadway / Times Square. Here is the Howard Johnson’s (now gone). These shots were not seen in “Prodigal Son”.

BE90DD73-6F73-4808-AA97-07826CC4F552.jpeg

EDAD812A-B7B6-4727-93F9-B9640053EA2F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Tom said:

Will be in NYC around Easter and stay near Times Square.

Nice Tom - lots of “Miami Vice” locations all over NY. I will also be there.:xmas:

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Matt5:

Nice Tom - lots of “Miami Vice” locations all over NY. I will also be there.:xmas:

If you will be there in the Easterweek, drop me a PM.

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

If you will be there in the Easterweek, drop me a PM.

Of course friend - I don’t think it will be quite then - not 100 % sure when Easter week is next year. :xmas:

Gerade eben schrieb Matt5:

Of course friend - I don’t think it will be quite then - not 100 % sure when Easter week is next year. :xmas:

Easterweek is mid April. Perfect weather for NYC sightseeing!

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Easterweek is mid April. Perfect weather for NYC sightseeing!

Yes good time- at least it will be in the + areas of temperatures. Going to catch any Miami Vice NY locations?

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

Yes good time- at least it will be in the + areas of temperatures. Going to catch any Miami Vice NY locations?

6-15c maybe more. I will stay next to Times Square, so will have lots of locations nearby!

vor 1 Minute schrieb Matt5:

Enjoy friend :xmas:

Thanks pal, I will. I‘ll have my daughter with me and see some broadway shows together with her. She‘s a musical actress and will watch her US colleagues at work :D

• 1 year later...

After Tom’s great work on the new locations recently - I found this interesting and trying to picture the buildings seen behind Trudy. We know the shootout was filmed on Washington and 14th but can’t seem to match up what we see behind Trudy. Thanks to @RedDragon86 for the picture.

96D06630-54AC-4FEA-8DB1-0A7F6BB02385.jpeg

• Like 2

Disregard that looked very carefully and can see it was on 14th looking to Collins it was just the camera angle clumping the buildings together. But here’s beautiful Trudy again.

6875D282-5306-4758-A988-C025DCD36AF8.jpeg

E4321B05-28FE-41F5-ABD8-46E18619D8E4.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

EXACT LOCATION OF HAVANA TEASER STREET SCENE: Stretch around 1348 Washington Ave (W-side of Washington south of 14 Street)?

I tried to find the exact spot of the Havana teaser. We know by experience that this must be Washington Ave. I checked the whole stretch of Washington Ave between 10 and 15th Street, especially the block of 14street (used in this episode) and the 1000 block they used in Streetwise.

To make it very complicated they have replaced or remodelled nearly every shop and every building on that stretch. 

I found a remotedly matching facade area just south of the 14 Street SE-corner on the right side of Collins (same side the shooting with Trudy), but had to dismiss it, as another angle in that episode shows (picture 1 below) that the street side on this stretch right of the cleaning service where the hit was looked completely different then the shops behind Gina´s "mother".

As all other areas of Washington do not fit (e.g. diagonal street fronts on 1300 block, the Streetwise stretch has different fronts and an additional parking lane ...), I checked the other street sides including the one vis a vis the cleaning service and found a quite good fit with pattern of walls, shop windows and doors in the last part of the teaser walk. To match the first store there is lots of creativity needed, but maybe that´s due to a new building and renovation. 

The last picture shows this exact stretch in March 1987 but it is too blurry and in the background of the hit car to see matches. The shop canopies do not match, but this is no proof for anything as they have carefully decorated the teaser to look like Havana 1960 and changed everything from the canopies to the store writings and removed the parkmeters (only metal poles visible).

I say 80% possibility and no other good candidate area in sight.

What do you think? 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-29 um 12.06.30.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-29 um 12.13.04.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-29 um 12.16.37.png

• Like 2

On 8/29/2020 at 6:55 AM, Tom said:

EXACT LOCATION OF HAVANA TEASER STREET SCENE: Stretch around 1348 Washington Ave (W-side of Washington south of 14 Street)?

It seems the shapes of canopies are our best hope.   If you can think of Washington Ave scenes in other eps and get a look at the canopies.  Also, the white bricks at the bottom of the Mercado facade (might have been painted white for the scene).

In the "Everybody's In Showbiz" teaser we see the East side of 1300 block Washington Ave:

showb1.png.6f528cf2f98f5f704e7902acadde79f7.png

showb2.png.124d91b44c9f3113e1f112434ce2bd05.png

showb3.png.4e5eb0b18b68b40c9c2a83dc5b08915f.png

• Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

It seems the shapes of canopies are our best hope.   If you can think of Washington Ave scenes in other eps and get a look at the canopies.  Also, the white bricks at the bottom of the Mercado facade (might have been painted white for the scene).

In the "Everybody's In Showbiz" teaser we see the East side of 1300 block Washington Ave:

showb1.png.6f528cf2f98f5f704e7902acadde79f7.png

showb2.png.124d91b44c9f3113e1f112434ce2bd05.png

showb3.png.4e5eb0b18b68b40c9c2a83dc5b08915f.png

Interesting. That’s the east stretch of 1300 block further down what we don’t see in Heroes. I‘ll check that in more Detail but at first sight neither the canopy shapes nor the facade patterns are a match.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No sure match still for the Havana teaser, but I found that in the teaser of Good Collar (Drexel/Espanola Way, just one block off the other Heroes locations) we see some similar canopies, so I checked them in more detail. See pic below.

The storefronts do not match with Heroes though, but the canopies come very close, much better than the ones to be seen on the alternative on western 1300 Washington block. it is obvious that they mounted "hurrican style" wood covers with graffiti on all store fronts in Good collar for decoration purposes. 

I will continue checking other streets around (Collins Ave?) for potential matches, as there are not many possibilities left for that Heroes teaser: the most crucial exclusion criteria is that (although the street stretch in Heroes is very short, Gina´s mother is walking by several store fronts) all stores have the same building front, there are no alleys between buildings and that is only working on very few stretches even on main SoBe streets within a 50-100m stretch.

But the W-side of 1300 Washington block still is the best fit so far even with the mismatches on the left stretch as shown in my comparison picture above.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-19 um 19.49.28.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-19 um 19.50.01.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
Am 13.3.2015 um 06:44 schrieb airtommy:

Interesting.  It definitely "feels" like Washington Avenue to me.  That's where MV filmed most of these types of brief street scenes.  Most importantly, that area is where they filmed so much else of this episode.

Gina later walks by Farmacia Havana.  I found this:

https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/120160

It has the same slogan as the store behind Gina: "Envios de Medicinas a Cuba"  There is no address given, but they claim it was in Little Havana (without any evidence).

I doubt that this scene was filmed in Little Havanna. Apart from the fact that I did not find any farmacia like that and the reverse telephone number check did not yield anything....Two main reasons: the parkmeters (they removed them and you can only see the metal sticks), as I have never seen them around Calle Ocho and second the wall patterns between some shops (vertical grooves like in the teaser of Streetwise) clearly point to Washington Ave.

• 7 months later...

THE HAVANA 1961 STREET SCENE, 15 Block of Calle Ocho?

In trying to find one of the 11 unknown locations left, I came -after many hours of detailed scrutiny - to the conclusion that the Havana 1961 street scene in the teaser was not filmed on Washington Ave (despite some good looking clues, like the moulds between some shops), but on Calle Ocho

Key arguments for the 15 block of Calle Ocho (southside between 1522 and 1540 SW 8 Street) and against Washington Ave:

• color of sidewalk (dark grey, not pink) - In Streetwise, just filmed 5 months before Heroes we see the pink color of the sidewalk (see below). It is unlikely that the crew removed the pink color on a 100 yard stretch just for this small scene and repainted to grey just to repaint to pink again later. Calle Ocho had just dark grey sidewalks, as in this episode. This rules out Washington Ave (also I checked its whole stretch and did not find any match)
  • The width of the sidewalk and missing palms: exactly matching with Heroes, most other stretches, also on most parts of Washington Ave are much broader or smaller or diagonal or have 35+year old palms at the wrong place.
  • The park meters: in Heroes we see that there are 3 park meters in regular intervals-we see just the metal pipes, as they removed the meters that did not exist in Havana. There were/are very few streets with park meters, grey color and the right width of sidewalk. The park meters on this stretch have been moved a bit (I can prove that with an old pic below from the shop at 1534 SW 8 Street), but they are generally there where we expect it. 
  • The shops: of course the crew could have changed all shop fronts and windows to Cuban/Spanish writing to stand in for Havana, but very unlikely given the effort for such a short scene. Filming at Calle Ocho, especially in the heart of the exile Cuban community -next to Tower Theater at 1508 SW 8 Street and the Domino Park across the street from the theater - takes full advantage of the existing locale there.  

Doubtful details of this candidate: the moulds on the building between some shops is not there on Calle Ocho, but could have been lost during remodelling. Also some details of the first shop, the Mercado behind Gina´s mother are different, but we know already from the Streetwise teaser filmed at 1041 Washington Ave that moulds and store fronts have been changed dramatically between the 1980s and now. The same applies to Calle Ocho.

To make it short: I have not found any 100% proof with old pictures (this block and the stores have been changed quite often between 1920 and today), but I think this is the best spot with highest probability(around 60%). It also would have given the crew the chance to film the short snippet with Gina´s mother entering the small room that looks like a wardrobe in the teaser (after she climbed stairs from the street level) inside the Tower Theater (not found any 1980s interior pics to check though) as this scene was clearly no studio set.

See my comparisons below. 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-19 um 16.17.53.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-19 um 16.11.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-19 um 15.25.22.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-19 um 15.25.43.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-19 um 14.45.04.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-19 um 15.49.53.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-17 um 22.19.34.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Along with the ‘Havana’ street scenes has the location below below been confirmed? ,the ‘airport’ parking garage is makeshift. I’m not convinced it’s MIA looks like Miami Beach.

49183ED1-C17A-4490-BB9A-75BF82BC1190.jpeg

• Like 2

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Matt5:

Along with the ‘Havana’ street scenes has the location below below been confirmed? ,the ‘airport’ parking garage is makeshift. I’m not convinced it’s MIA looks like Miami Beach.

49183ED1-C17A-4490-BB9A-75BF82BC1190.jpeg

This was in fact filmed at MIA, Parking Garage 3 (see behind Crockett&Tubbs, is North Parking/Dolphin Parking now, see old and new airport map). 

Evidence:

• lots of signs that are too much decoration effort for two short scenes and all fit up when examined in more detail with airport history and maps: the signs in MV say "Exit to City", "Miami International Airport", "to Concourses A+B", "To Concourse D" and "Parking Garage 3". There was a Concourse A+B on the northeast part of the airport terminals that was all turned into Concourse D when D was extended later to the complete north side of the terminal. VICE often filmed in Concourse D (Free Verse, Yankee Dollar). See several pics from the (Dolphin) parking garage they most likely filmed in (not same level maybe)
  • The baggage claim scene was filmed at baggage claim 26 which is exactly in Concourse D (see pics below, same ceiling, looks more modern now). This baggage claim scene is proof that this was filmed at MIA, as you cannot stage such a baggage claim in studio or elsewhere with reasonable effort. 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-30 um 19.17.26.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-30 um 19.19.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-30 um 19.38.08.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-30 um 19.40.33.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-30 um 19.50.08.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-30 um 19.50.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-30 um 19.54.26.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-30 um 19.54.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-30 um 19.54.55.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-30 um 20.06.40.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-30 um 20.07.27.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-30 um 20.18.19.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

I am still hunting down the last 10 locations including the teaser street scene set in "Havana". It´s not an exact match on the storefronts we can see close, but the canopies (type, color, widths, ...), the color and width (3 concrete segments!) of the ped walk (dark grey) and the parkmeters are very similar to the 11 block stretch of Washington Ave used in the teaser of "Amen...send money" when Tubbs pops the preacher´s wife (first pic). Interesting whether the shops in the distance that we can´t see here would be it. "Heroes" filmed a lot around the 11 block (Victor on Ocean Drive) to 14th block, that would fit too. See below.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-11 um 00.24.09.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-11 um 00.26.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-11 um 00.27.07.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Interesting comparison between the SW 8 Street background (vis a vis the Tower Theater) of the 1973 Domino Park picture I posted in the Golden Triangle thread and the "Havana" Street fronts. The canopies and some of the windows are very similar, but it is very blurry and far away. This part of town would have had the advantage that most shops had Spanish writing on it already and could be turned easier into Havana than any stretch on Washington Ave?

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-15 um 16.01.35.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-15 um 08.54.03.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Interesting comparison between the SW 8 Street background (vis a vis the Tower Theater) of the 1973 Domino Park picture I posted in the Golden Triangle thread and the "Havana" Street fronts. The canopies and some of the windows are very similar, but it is very blurry and far away. This part of town would have had the advantage that most shops had Spanish writing on it already and could be turned easier into Havana than any stretch on Washington Ave?

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-15 um 16.01.35.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-15 um 08.54.03.png

This is what that 1973 picture look's like now.

Historic Ball & Chain Building-Little Havana 1501 SW 8th St

Untitled.png.995756ccb5d5954112729fbf87fcf2bd.png

Edited by RedDragon86