This Week In Miami Vice History...

mvnyc

September 24th-September 30th:"Contempt Of Court" - The 4th Season Premiere episode aired on NBC on Friday, September 25th, 1987 at 9PM EDT. Some notes about this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki): *This was the third episode filmed for the season, but the first one aired as the Series Premiere. *Stanley Tucci and Meg Foster will reprise their roles later this season in "Blood And Roses". *This is the second time Crockett is thrown in jail for not revealing his informant's identity, the first was in Season 1's "Give A Little, Take A Little". *The RICO statute referred to is called the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, which grants extended penalties for crimes committed by organized groups. *The show was repeated on Christmas Day, 1987, the only time Miami Vice aired on Christmas Day. "When Irish Eyes Are Crying" - The 3rd Season Premiere episode aired on NBC on Friday, September 26th, 1986 at 9PM EDT. Some notes about this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki): * Originally the third season opener was to be a two-hour premiere set in Ireland, but was scrapped when Don Johnson was unavailable due to a recording commitment for his album "Heartbeat." * The episode "El Viejo" was subsequently intended to be the season opener, but was held back due to studio executives at NBC thinking the destruction of Crockett's car would make for a more powerful start to the season. As a result of this change, the Daytona would be temporarily "resurrected" six episodes later, after its destruction, causing a major continuity error."The Prodigal Son" - The 2nd Season 2-Hour Premiere episode aired on NBC on Friday, September 27th, 1985 at 9PM EDT. Some notes about this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* "The Prodigal Son" was repeated as the NBC Sunday Night Movie on March 23, 1986, the second time (of three total) that Miami Vice aired on a Sunday. * Miguel Piñero, who played Crockett's and Tubbs' arch-nemesis Esteban Calderone, plays a Revilla brother (also named Esteban) in this episode. His hair is longer and he wears sunglasses to differentiate himself from his Calderone persona. *This episode features one of Crockett's rare trips out of state on Miami Vice. Over the course of the series, he also travelled to Saint Andrews Island, Colombia, Los Angeles, and Costa Morada. "Heart Of Darkness" - The second episode of the 1st Season premiered on NBC on Friday, September 28th, 1984 at 10PM EDT. Some notes about this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* The car dealership the police pass when they are trying to save Crockett and Tubbs from being killed by Kovics, "Tropical Chevrolet", is still in business at the same location. * It is never stated who killed Penny McGraw, but strongly implied that Artie had her killed, or even killed her himself. * The end credits feature still images taken from the episode itself instead of the usual stock footage of Miami landmarks used in virtually every other episode of the series ("Leap Of Faith" also featured this style of end credit imagery). FYI: The Calendar year 1984 is the same as the Calendar year 2012, so one could watch the season 1 episodes on Friday nights at 10PM and feel the excitement all over again!

Interesting thread idea, I like it. Couple of things I would say about the info listed. Did not Artie say he waited outside in the car while she (Penny) was killed so we know who killed her though the name escapes me at the moment. Second though Contempt of Court was set up to revolve around the RICO statute, that was a major issue/goof of that episode. Nowhere in the ep. did it explain why Crockett was in a Federal Court testifying about a state crime not associated with the RICO statute and the testimony was about the principal who committed the crime and not another who was associated thru a criminal organization which if the crime they were talking about was a RICO covered crime (which it was not) then it could have made sense. It seemed to me that Mosca was the one on trial yet he was the one who was the principal in the unassociated crime. I like the episode allot but I have never been able to get past this horrible error to rate it as high as it could have rated.

Thanks C Glide, the "notes" info was pulled from the Miami Vice Wiki site, so it is what it is. I just thought: What if we had a thread highlighting the episodes that aired in the current week? I find myself watching them this way because I think back to what I was doing at that point in my life, etc. It's a bit of a sentimental thing, but (for me) brings back one of the happiest times in my life...

Thanks C Glide' date=' the "notes" info was pulled from the Miami Vice Wiki site, so it is what it is. I just thought: What if we had a thread highlighting the episodes that aired in the current week? I find myself watching them this way because I think back to what I was doing at that point in my life, etc. It's a bit of a sentimental thing, but (for me) brings back one of the happiest times in my life...[/quote']Awesome!

yeah it's the excitement factor!I can watch vice at any time but when i watch it after 10 p.m it brings a certain buzz and a comfort during the day knowing it's coming up to vice time as the clock ticks lol.

For some reason' date=' it brings me a certain peace and comfort that the 1984 matches 2012 as far as the days go. That means this Friday Miami Vice is on![/quote']Agreed...1984 was one of my best years, in many ways. If I could go back, I would...

This could be the thread of the year for me. I'll try and dig out some UK listings from somewhere to give this an angle from across the Atlantic.

Sounds great, thanks blondman69!