Miami Vice free lecture

miamijimf

For anyone planning on being in Miami during this time period, this is a great opportunity. This announcement is from the Miami Design Preservation League's (MDPL) newsletter. The Miami Vice lecture is by a noted local historian. I would love to go since it's right up my alley but not sure I can get away."More Glimpses the Dark Side of the BeachFall Lecture Series Examines 'Beach Noir'The first lecture on Gambling was a success! There are two fascinating lecturesin October that you don't want to miss!Leading the October 2 discussion of prohibition's impact on the Beach's crime, cultureand tourism is Seth Bramson, noted local historian and author of some 25 books onthe South Florida Gold Coast.On October 24, young, rash Miami producers Billy Corben and Alfred Spellman bringthe Miami Beach drug scene of the '70s and '80s to life. Their award-winning 2006documentary, "Cocaine Cowboys," did the same. They'll recount stories of the riseof the cocaine industry on the Beach and the crashing crime wave that subsequentlywashed across America."How Crime and Corruption Shaped Miami Beach"Schedule for three remaining lectures:Prohibition: Tuesday, October 2 at 7 PMDrugs: Wednesday, October 24 at 7 PMMiami Vice: Thursday, November 8 at 7 PMAll lectures are free and begin at 7 p.m. at the Art Deco Welcome Center, 1001 OceanDrive, Miami Beach 33139. For information go to mdpl.org or call 305.672.2014."

• Administrators

The history of cocaine in Miami. If you go Jim make sure to show them where Hank hid Tony Arcaro! ;)Seriously, it sounds cool. Wish I could be there!

A little more info regarding the "Miami Vice" lecture:November 8, 2012 “Miami Vice” – How Crime and Corruption Shaped Miami Beach 7:00 PM, Art Deco Welcome Center – 1001 Ocean Drive, Miami BeachMaria Kittyle Chavez, Location Manager for Miami ViceMaria’s career began on the TV series “Miami Vice” in 1984 working as a Location Assistant for the Visual Consultant, Gusmano Cesaretti, and soon she became the Scout and then Location Manager for Miami Vice. Maria will discuss her time with Miami Vice and how Miami Beach’s crime and corruption influenced the hit TV show. She will discuss how Miami Vice helped make Miami Beach and the Art Deco buildings famous.I just contacted her regarding this lecture, when/if I hear back, I'll post it.

A little more info regarding the "Miami Vice" lecture:November 8' date=' 2012 “Miami Vice†– How Crime and Corruption Shaped Miami Beach 7:00 PM, Art Deco Welcome Center – 1001 Ocean Drive, Miami BeachMaria Kittyle Chavez, Location Manager for Miami ViceMaria’s career began on the TV series “Miami Vice†in 1984 working as a Location Assistant for the Visual Consultant, Gusmano Cesaretti, and soon she became the Scout and then Location Manager for Miami Vice. Maria will discuss her time with Miami Vice and how Miami Beach’s crime and corruption influenced the hit TV show. She will discuss how Miami Vice helped make Miami Beach and the Art Deco buildings famous.I just contacted her regarding this lecture, when/if I hear back, I'll post it.[/quote']Thanks for the additional info. Wish I could go. Please see your PM.

• 1 month later...

I was hoping to make this lecture, but I'll be in Orlando on business for the rest of the week. Is anyone else going? I emailed Maria and asked if she could have someone record this with an iPhone or camera, well see what happens...

For anyone that does go, I would park a couple of blocks away and walk. This event is right on Ocean at dinnertime, making it a parking nightmare...

A little more info regarding the "Miami Vice" lecture:November 8' date=' 2012 “Miami Vice†– How Crime and Corruption Shaped Miami Beach 7:00 PM, Art Deco Welcome Center – 1001 Ocean Drive, Miami BeachMaria Kittyle Chavez, Location Manager for Miami ViceMaria’s career began on the TV series “Miami Vice†in 1984 working as a Location Assistant for the Visual Consultant, Gusmano Cesaretti, and soon she became the Scout and then Location Manager for Miami Vice. Maria will discuss her time with Miami Vice and how Miami Beach’s crime and corruption influenced the hit TV show. She will discuss how Miami Vice helped make Miami Beach and the Art Deco buildings famous.I just contacted her regarding this lecture, when/if I hear back, I'll post it.[/quote']Did anyone go to this lecture :cool: