Did anyone else actually like this movie?

Vincent Hanna

Yes, I own the DVD and like it very much.  This film was never meant to replace or imitate the series.  It was never meant to be a direct 1 to 1 remake either and I think that upset many fans who were expecting different.  It was yet another vehicle for Michael Mann to explore his recurring themes in his neo noir genre.  And I think it was done well.  I find the doomed love story with Crockett particularly affecting.  I'm not quite sure what would've made people happy here.  If Mann or somebody else (God forbid) were to simply transpose the old show into the 2000s then that wouldn't work either because the culture isn't the same now. What you wind up with would just be another 2006 action/buddy cop movie.  I mean do you really want Kevin Hart as Noogie and Lady GaGa as a love interest or something?  Do you want booming, samey sounding hip hop and nu metal blasting from the 2000s instead?   No thanks.  I'll leave that to Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer (turns and retches into trash can).

yeah, personnally i loved the movie too. yeah i think it's not Miami vice, but it wasn't meant to be it actually. Mann tried something new. and i salute his effort in doing so. the movie is darker. in lot of scenes we feel real danger, or oppressive atmosphere. which we never felt, or very rarely in the original series. but, i like it personnally. i mean narcos word is not a care bears world. plus sometimes it seems that lot of people that didn't like the movie, don't seem to get it was a pilot. for me it clearly appears that the movie was made as a pilot, and a basis for a reboot. this is why the plot seems is a bit messed up sometimes. but personnally i don't see catastrophic errors, that could make me say it's a bad movie

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 2:43 PM, jpm1 said:

yeah, personnally i loved the movie too. yeah i think it's not Miami vice, but it wasn't meant to be it actually. Mann tried something new. and i salute his effort in doing so. the movie is darker. in lot of scenes we feel real danger, or oppressive atmosphere. which we never felt, or very rarely in the original series. but, i like it personnally. i mean narcos word is not a care bears world. plus sometimes it seems that lot of people that didn't like the movie, don't seem to get it was a pilot. for me it clearly appears that the movie was made as a pilot, and a basis for a reboot. this is why the plot seems is a bit messed up sometimes. but personnally i don't see catastrophic errors, that could make me say it's a bad movie

I liked the movie but it’s a stand alone piece from the greatest tv show ever, Miami Vice.

On 9/22/2018 at 4:24 AM, Bren10 said:

Yes, I own the DVD and like it very much.  This film was never meant to replace or imitate the series.  It was never meant to be a direct 1 to 1 remake either and I think that upset many fans who were expecting different.  It was yet another vehicle for Michael Mann to explore his recurring themes in his neo noir genre.  And I think it was done well.  I find the doomed love story with Crockett particularly affecting.  I'm not quite sure what would've made people happy here.  If Mann or somebody else (God forbid) were to simply transpose the old show into the 2000s then that wouldn't work either because the culture isn't the same now. What you wind up with would just be another 2006 action/buddy cop movie.  I mean do you really want Kevin Hart as Noogie and Lady GaGa as a love interest or something?  Do you want booming, samey sounding hip hop and nu metal blasting from the 2000s instead?   No thanks.  I'll leave that to Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer (turns and retches into trash can).

On 9/22/2018 at 8:43 AM, jpm1 said:

15 hours ago, Matt5 said:

I liked the movie but it’s a stand alone piece from the greatest tv show ever, Miami Vice.

If Mann had made this movie as a stand-alone film, and released it under a different name (not tried to use the MV idea), then maybe it’d have had a different outcome. Maybe... But if the movie was not meant to imitate or be a new reinvisionment of the original show (but in 2006)...then why use the name, and/or use characters from it? ?(  

I respect everyone’s opinion as their opinion...and this is my opinion (but is shared by many MV fans), but I’m sorry...but the movie sucked!! :thumbsdown: Despite a couple/few good actors cast, the acting was flat, boring, and bad. Other cast choices for characters were terrible! :eek: The plot was ridiculous—most of it didn’t even take place in Miami, and some of the movie was “grainy”, shaky, and basically gave you a headache while trying to watch. :wuerg: 

A movie version of MV could have been done so much better...but this was one of the biggest disappointments I’ve ever experienced in a movie theater! ;(  

Edited by ViceFanMan

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

There are several reasons why Mann may have made it.  I'll try to think.

1) This is a ready-made universe with characters and situations the audience is familiar with, so there's no need for much exposition (one of the critcisms).  Mann has been pushing the in media res thing since Heat (and even MV itself with its teasers) and this was another chance to do so.

2) He never directed an episode himself and here he had a chance do it all himself unrestrained by TV standards or red tape (no pun intended).  Plus the retro wave is in full swing in film so I'm sure it was an easy pitch to execs.

3) This is most important and missed-Mann was seeing how the premise-NOT THE LITERAL SHOW- would translate to today's world in a single story.  In other words his goals with the film was not the same as the TV series.  The show was meant to capture/reflect/represent the zeitgeist of the day while simultaneously telling gripping police drama that covered timely subjects like cocaine, stinger missles etc.  The movie here isn't meant for that.  The show had 5 seasons to do it in.  It's almost like remaking The Untouchables into a film in the 80s.  There's no way people who loved that original show will get the same things out of that single film, but that doesn't mean De Palma had no reason to try it.  Mann is all about variations on themes and the big variation here is Miami Vice itself.  In other words he could put C&T in 50s/60s Miami too if he wanted, and see how the premise would apply there too.  Not saying he should but he could.

I think the bottom line for me is Mann's attempt was intelligently guided and respectful of the material, unlike trash like Starsky and Hutch or 21 Jump Street which actually demean the originals by reducing them to comedies.  Those films try to make you feel stupid for liking the originals in the first place and that is something Mann would never do.He didn't do that here and it worked for me.  With respect, sorry it didn't work for you.

If Mann had made this movie as a stand-alone film, and released it under a different name (not tried to use the MV idea), then maybe it’d have had a different outcome. Maybe... But if the movie was not meant to imitate or be a new reinvisionment of the original show (but in 2006)...then why use the name, and/or use characters from it? ?(  

I respect everyone’s opinion as their opinion...and this is my opinion (but is shared by many MV fans), but I’m sorry...but the movie sucked!! :thumbsdown: Despite a couple/few good actors cast, the acting was flat, boring, and bad. Other cast choices for characters were terrible! :eek: The plot was ridiculous—most of it didn’t even take place in Miami, and some of the movie was “grainy”, shaky, and basically gave you a headache while trying to watch. :wuerg: 

A movie version of MV could have been done so much better...but this was one of the biggest disappointments I’ve ever experienced in a movie theater! ;(  

Edited by Bren10
New addition

vor 5 Stunden schrieb ViceFanMan:

I agree. For me that was a flat and somehow soulless successor version of „Heat“ but had nothing to do with MV. A recycled Smugglers blues story, movie title and some characters from the show (but cast with actors that did not fit the characters in any dimension  - even The A-Team movie had that better!) are not enough! If you call something after an iconic show, you should be aware to have set the expectation bar on a certain level. If a director can’t stand that heat he himself created, then better get out of the kitchen by choosing another format or title. From the creator of the original show I had expected more sophistication. I fear with a series reboot led by Vin Diesel it could get only worse.

• Like 1

I thought it was an absolutely brilliant movie! It felt to me like Michael Mann unchained, finally he was able to expose the grit and the drama and the real blood and guts that had been denied him all those years of prime time TV when shot people went 'ow' and fell on their backs with a few daubs of tomato ketchup. When the trailer was blown up with Trudi caught in the blast! Wow.

The gunfight at the end was spectacular in the cinema (and in surround sound at home), the fact that you could actually hear the bullets hitting the cars and earth they were sheltering behind - you normally never get that, it really put you there.

Some of the imagery was just awesome! The Adams A500 flying low and slow over the marsh. The meet with Montoya with all the military level security 'Where are all the people?'. The race boat run to Cuba with that epic track 'One Of These Mornings'. The run up Government Cut with the Donzis while Castillo is overflying the city - just incredible! And all of this stuff links so beautifully with the imagery that was stock in trade in the TV series, it's one of the things that made it great. 

Best of all were the knowing nods for die hard fans. From really obvious stuff like the Ferrari convertible (a clear modern take on the Daytona) to some really subtle stuff. When they first went to make the deal in the Smuggler's Blues episode there's that young boy hanging around. In the film, as they approach the club to meet Yose, there's a young boy on the roof, watching them. Subtle stuff. 

But if you want to understand just how clever and subtle the links to the original really went, try listening to Crocketts Theme, then the Adams A500 music, then switch between the two one after the other - see if you spot it... Then you'll realise just how clever, and how close to the original, this film really is. It's epic, and a wonderful homage to the original series. 

• Like 2

yeah, absolutely not trying to get a divide here. but i really don't understand people saying it was horrible. love the ending gunfight too, really realistic. going to Cuba with your own catamaran to visit a bar was trully epic too IMO, and in the pure line of the MV series. and yeah finally, same for the A500. clearly a scene flight simulators enthusiasts won't disown. the A500 clip now makes me want to watch the movie again. where's my DVD player.. :)

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 12:37 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I'm sorry but I cannot stand the 2006 movie..it sucked, horribly (my opinion)!! First, hardly any of it actually took place in Miami, and the actors chosen for most of the characters were terrible choices--Castillo especially! I was like...what the "heck"?? ?( :o

Second, it was somewhat boring and the movie seemed to be out of focus throughout most of it...it was very "grainy" and slightly "blurred" or something. It left some with headaches, as in my theater my dad and I talked about how out of focus it was, and we overheard some girls saying the same thing...and it was giving them headaches. I also read similar experiences online in the days following the premiere--so it was not just my theater. ;)

Third...there were hardly any odes to the original series, save the movie "Trudy" being tied up in an old trailer like the Smuggler's Blues episode. I realize that in 2006 we weren't gonna have pastels and Phil Collins playing in the background (although I prefer that)...but I expected a "heck" of a LOT more from this movie--and was devastatingly disappointed and let down!! :evil: ;(

To be blunt but truthful...this movie was boring, out of focus, actors were terrible, plot was mediocre, and it is a disgrace to the MV franchise!! :thumbsdown: The original series kicks this movie's proverbial butt BIG-TIME!!! :thumbsup:

This was my review last year...still stand by it. 

10 hours ago, Tom said:

I agree. For me that was a flat and somehow soulless successor version of „Heat“ but had nothing to do with MV. A recycled Smugglers blues story, movie title and some characters from the show (but cast with actors that did not fit the characters in any dimension  - even The A-Team movie had that better!) are not enough! If you call something after an iconic show, you should be aware to have set the expectation bar on a certain level. If a director can’t stand that heat he himself created, then better get out of the kitchen by choosing another format or title. From the creator of the original show I had expected more sophistication. I fear with a series reboot led by Vin Diesel it could get only worse.

Fully agree...if you’re going to try and tie a movie into a immensely popular past TV show, there’s a definite expectation you’re gonna have to meet. This movie failed...miserably!! :thumbsdown: See my review above. 

If this was Mann trying to be all ‘unchained’ and doing his own thing...fine. But DON’T try and tie it in with something superb like MV!! He should have made the movie with all new characters and called it “The Cuban Underworld”...as it seemed to be more about there instead of Miami. 

As I stated in my original review: The original series kicks this pathetic movie's proverbial butt BIG-TIME!!! 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Our old buddy srobak loved it and verbally abused anyone who didn't!

I won’t verbally (or physically :p) abuse anyone...just the movie itself. :D All statements about the movie are ‘opinions’. Mine hasn’t, and won’t change. :done: I doubt anyone else’s will either (whichever side they’re on). It’s interesting to see other’s views of it...even if you totally disagree. ;) 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Haha 1

Regarding it not being based enough in Miami to be called Miami Vice, is the same true for Prodigal Son (mostly set in New York)? Don't recall anyone ever saying that should never have been an episode. 

I think the movie's biggest problem is those that wanted it to be exactly the same as the TV series, right down to a late thirty year old Don Johnson. That was never going to happen. And because of that, some people had decided to hate it from the off, and only saw it to criticise it (I remember one guy on here once saying he'd bought the DVD because it was Miami Vice, but had never watched it because it was bound to be rubbish!)

I see it like classic cars. I love cars like the Ferrari Daytona and the Testarossa, they're from my era. Some classic enthusiasts insist that these (and cars like them) were the 'proper' Ferraris and the modern stuff is rubbish. However I think that the 812 and 488 are fantastic. Doesn't stop me loving the old cars, but doing so doesn't stop me appreciating the modern stuff. 

• Like 3

this is more or less what i wanted to say too. an exact copy of the 80s series with the same ingredients can't work in 2018 (or 2006). been rewatching the movie yesterday. and globally it's a very good movie. the ending gunfight is one of the best i ever saw in a movie. the places, the actors even small roles, are great. José Hierro is awesome, same for the elegant Gong li. and the new vice team characters are great, and well chosen. but well... :)

Edited by jpm1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Smuggler's Blues said:

Regarding it not being based enough in Miami to be called Miami Vice, is the same true for Prodigal Son (mostly set in New York)? Don't recall anyone ever saying that should never have been an episode. 

I think the movie's biggest problem is those that wanted it to be exactly the same as the TV series, right down to a late thirty year old Don Johnson. That was never going to happen. And because of that, some people had decided to hate it from the off, and only saw it to criticise it (I remember one guy on here once saying he'd bought the DVD because it was Miami Vice, but had never watched it because it was bound to be rubbish!)

I see it like classic cars. I love cars like the Ferrari Daytona and the Testarossa, they're from my era. Some classic enthusiasts insist that these (and cars like them) were the 'proper' Ferraris and the modern stuff is rubbish. However I think that the 812 and 488 are fantastic. Doesn't stop me loving the old cars, but doing so doesn't stop me appreciating the modern stuff. 

Yeah, but a TV series sometimes having an episode take place somewhere else is one thing, but the movie was a one-time thing. The majority of it should have taken place in Miami, and a small snipit in Cuba...instead of the other way around. 

No one was expecting the movie to be exactly like the TV series...with pastel colors (although pastels were ironically starting to comeback in style) and Phil Collins playing in the background. For 2006 that wouldn’t have worked, true. Most were expecting a modern version (regardless of the age of a character), but still something that paid some kind of homage to the series. Again, when you use the MV name you’re going to have to meet a certain expectation. 

My opinion...but, the acting was boring and bad (although some of the actors are good in other movies/shows), some of the cast were very poor choices, the movie itself was boring and had no captivation, the plot was mediocre and had no creativity, and it just left a “sour” taste in a lot of MV fan’s mouths.

Again, the movie should have been its own thing, and not tied into MV in any way. Some would have gone to see it just because it was Michael Mann. 

On 9/25/2018 at 2:25 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Most were expecting a modern version (regardless of the age of a character), but still something that paid some kind of homage to the series. Again, when you use the MV name you’re going to have to meet a certain expectation. 

Which is absolutely 100% what it was. From the broad overarching themes (Crockett and Tubbs with the rest of the team go after drug dealers - not only that but it even mirrored one of the best episodes!) right down to tiny details like elements of the music (check out those two music links I posted further up).

Was it identical? Of course not and nor should it have been.

Did you like it? Maybe you didn't and you're completely entitled not to. But that's very much personal taste, I thought it was brilliant!

But did it pay homage to the original? That is absolutely irrefutable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smuggler's Blues said:

Which is absolutely 100% what it was. From the broad overarching themes (Crockett and Tubbs with the rest of the team go after drug dealers - not only that but it even mirrored one of the best episodes!) right down to tiny details like elements of the music (check out those two music links I posted further up).

Was it identical? Of course not and nor should it have been.

Did you like it? Maybe you didn't and you're completely entitled not to. But that's very much personal taste, I thought it was brilliant!

But did it pay homage to the original? That is absolutely irrefutable. 

It was a “version” of sorts, true. But what we got was majorly disappointing and a huge let-down! ;( 

The idea of Crockett and Tubbs going after drug dealers was what MV was about...so most likely the movie was going to have that. But, again the acting for whatever reason was so dry and boring you couldn’t “relate” to or enjoy the characters at all. It needed a lot more than just the premise of C&T trying to go after druggies. That was a given...we wanted and needed something more than just that! 

The one scene of Trudy being held captive in an old trailer & they have to rescue her was the ONLY real homepage paid to the series, in my opinion. The rest was so unbelievably poorly done and cast that it just was a major devastation of what was hoped for! :evil: 

Again, I think it should have been made and released as something else on its own...and not had any so-called tie-in with MV. It might have fared better.

But, you are right, in the fact that most of these aspects mentioned from all of us are opinions. ;) Everyone’s entitled to theirs...a few may have liked it...a lot didn’t! Lol. Whatever the case, I’m not sure ‘brilliant’ enters into it (even if I had liked the movie)...but to those that liked it & those that didn’t—to each his or her own. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't argue with anyone saying that Miami Vice is a poor man's Heat because it is, but at least it's not "Blackhat" which is a poor man's Miami Vice. :D

Miami Vice is fascinating to me, even if maybe for the wrong reasons. The avant-garde style is very peculiar etc. The in medias res opening that's unrelated to the rest of the film still befuddles me. ?( The style in which the story unfolds is borderline genius and unique, so I think that deserves some merit even if the actual story is uninspired and by the numbers.

I like weird stuff so I'm glad the film exists, I'll take the good stuff and the many flaws. :thumbsup:

Edited by Vincent Hanna
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I watched this again last night for about the 3rd time. The first two being when it came out in 06. My opinion didn't change any since watching it years ago.

I did learn that Naiomi Harris played Trudy. I thought I recognized her this go around and found on IMDB she played Eve on Specter and Skyfall. Seems she lost some weight for the Bond movies as she seems chunkier in MV.

Also the Chinese chic was the one that played in Hannibal Rising and the bald head older white supremacy leader was the same character in the movie Blood In, Blood Out (great movie BTW).

I still thought there was no character development in the movie. Other then Sonny and Rico and Gina and Trudy who you knew from their skin color there was no development. I had no idea who Larry was, never found Stan and the character choice for Castillo couldn't be further from Almos.

All in all, an OK cop / action movie but that's about all. No connection to MV other then character names. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, timm525 said:

I watched this again last night for about the 3rd time. The first two being when it came out in 06. My opinion didn't change any since watching it years ago.

I did learn that Naiomi Harris played Trudy. I thought I recognized her this go around and found on IMDB she played Eve on Specter and Skyfall. Seems she lost some weight for the Bond movies as she seems chunkier in MV.

Also the Chinese chic was the one that played in Hannibal Rising and the bald head older white supremacy leader was the same character in the movie Blood In, Blood Out (great movie BTW).

I still thought there was no character development in the movie. Other then Sonny and Rico and Gina and Trudy who you knew from their skin color there was no development. I had no idea who Larry was, never found Stan and the character choice for Castillo couldn't be further from Almos.

All in all, an OK cop / action movie but that's about all. No connection to MV other then character names. 

My opinion of it hasn’t changed either. ;) I agree...no character development whatsoever, and even if this hadn’t been MV characters terribly re-used, the acting was so dry and shallow you could barely get the end of your pinky submerged in it. Terrible plot, cast, acting, directing, camera focus, etc...just a terrible movie all the way around. :thumbsdown:

But, we all know Michael Mann, most of the actors, etc...can make or be in awesome things. Again, perhaps this movie should have been made and released differently & with different characters & title; on its own, and not tried to “use” the MV name. 

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2018 at 7:03 AM, ViceFanMan said:

The plot was ridiculous—most of it didn’t even take place in Miami

And yet the plot was virtually a carbon copy of Season One episode Smuggler's Blues, widely lauded as one of the very best episodes ever. I don't recall anyone calling the plot of that episode ridiculous...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smuggler's Blues said:

And yet the plot was virtually a carbon copy of Season One episode Smuggler's Blues, widely lauded as one of the very best episodes ever. I don't recall anyone calling the plot of that episode ridiculous...

That's very true and I agree with that (I actually love this film).  But as others here have noted, the Smuggler's Blues plot is easier for people here to take within the framework of a series and as a standalone episode as opposed to a single feature film called Miami Vice.  While I don't particularly agree with that myself, I understand that point of view.

3 hours ago, Smuggler's Blues said:

I wouldn’t say the movie is a “carbon copy” of the series’ episode, but the one scene with Trudy in the trailer was a homage of sorts. But, you are correct...the plot of Smuggler’s Blues was not ridiculous! ;) But more of that episode did take place in Miami, than the movie. Also, a series doing an episode or two (or parts of episodes) once in a while somewhere else is one thing...but a movie, being a one-time thing itself, needs to take place where the title says or suggests—especially if it’s a so-called version of a show like MV.

Edited by ViceFanMan

• 1 year later...
On 9/24/2018 at 8:37 PM, Smuggler's Blues said:

I thought it was an absolutely brilliant movie! It felt to me like Michael Mann unchained, finally he was able to expose the grit and the drama and the real blood and guts that had been denied him all those years of prime time TV when shot people went 'ow' and fell on their backs with a few daubs of tomato ketchup. When the trailer was blown up with Trudi caught in the blast! Wow.

The gunfight at the end was spectacular in the cinema (and in surround sound at home), the fact that you could actually hear the bullets hitting the cars and earth they were sheltering behind - you normally never get that, it really put you there.

Some of the imagery was just awesome! The Adams A500 flying low and slow over the marsh. The meet with Montoya with all the military level security 'Where are all the people?'. The race boat run to Cuba with that epic track 'One Of These Mornings'. The run up Government Cut with the Donzis while Castillo is overflying the city - just incredible! And all of this stuff links so beautifully with the imagery that was stock in trade in the TV series, it's one of the things that made it great. 

Best of all were the knowing nods for die hard fans. From really obvious stuff like the Ferrari convertible (a clear modern take on the Daytona) to some really subtle stuff. When they first went to make the deal in the Smuggler's Blues episode there's that young boy hanging around. In the film, as they approach the club to meet Yose, there's a young boy on the roof, watching them. Subtle stuff. 

But if you want to understand just how clever and subtle the links to the original really went, try listening to Crocketts Theme, then the Adams A500 music, then switch between the two one after the other - see if you spot it... Then you'll realise just how clever, and how close to the original, this film really is. It's epic, and a wonderful homage to the original series. 

The guy in the air traffic control room at minute 2:15 (Miami Vice A500 video) was one of the Russian hit-men in "Bushido"

• Like 1

I didn't care for it.  I saw it twice but haven't seen it for some time now.  I should probably watch it again and see if I feel the same way.  I think I went into somewhat biased to begin with as I've never been a fan of Colin Farrell.  I remember when the Starsky & Hutch movie came out, I thought it would be funny to see a MV spoof in this style.