Miami vice cd in Friends-being made fun of!

DA_PAUL2

I was channel hopping getting dressed an a repeat of friends was on-i didn't catch the full joke but the character Monica was showing Chandler an actual Miami vice cd-had the real logo and everything-and he was all embarrassed"yeah they were giving them away at the store........for cash"he said to her!!!HOW DARE THEY!LOL making fun of either jan hammer or the other great songs of the show----i guess its the type of thing i would do if i caught a friend with the theme song of friends on their ipod or something-(totally different end of the spectrum)everyones music taste is different of course and i can take a good joke like anyone(not everyone finds vice cool these days i know) but i thought the music was the one thing that would have escaped any ribbing from outsiders?Anyways cool to see vice being in such a really popular show back in the day!

• Administrators

There were a lot of Vice referrences in various shows over the years. Seems Vice was a guilty pleasure for many people who were embarassed to admit it.

There were a lot of Vice referrences in various shows over the years. Seems Vice was a guilty pleasure for many people who were embarassed to admit it.

yeah I remember one from Fresh Prince of Bell air years ago with the butler dressing like PMT. thing to rememember is that well Vice while the fashions of the first two seasons may not be everyones cut of Teabut they atleast had style and taste, even if it was outlandish and its nothing to be ashamed of if you can pull it off.better than black, grey, or a 100% white and dull. also the other thing to remember is that right after that kind of time period is that people were sick of hearing those songs constantly on the radio and MTV when they had standards and they wanted something new and differentand when you look at the explosion of different music styles then as an offset from the 1980's music its not too unexpected for people to scoff at it and then love it latter.I mean look at what happened with rock and techno in the 1990's and the 2000's, you know Fear Factory, Ministry, Hypocrisy, Metalica, Inflames, Amon Amarath, the sisters of mercy They certainly werent the hair metal bands of the 1980's, that's for damn sure.and then Moby, the propeller heads (who worked on the bond film in 1997 with the BMV scene with the late John Barry I believe), Amon Tobin, Nine Inch Nails, Junkie XL and The Crystal Method technowisesame thing happened with cars too, you know in the 1940's and 1950's people thought multi million dollar 1930's buggatis of today were utterly worthless along with the 250 GTO in the 1970's, hell even with the now saught after miura jay leno was given one without a an engine that was mint outside of the engine being ruined because it wasnt worth anything in the 1980's!a 750K car nowadays given away for nothing that they made less that 600 of!! so people when they get sick of something burn out and sometimes never want to go back with anything. others want to latter hence the nolstagia factor and then you have the new generation that's never been exposed to it and with the options and choices of today they grow an appreciation for it.its an odd market, if you like what you like you shouldnt be ashamed of it, that being said I'll never be caught dead with a white suit and green shirt, that is not my style!the daytona and the Early to Mid S3 look, now that I could work with and mix in with my current style and pull it off without tipping anyone off that I'm a vice fan, and thats the best way to make a fan out of someone. dont mention the name but to talk about the show and what they did with it that way they see it for it was and not what everyone scoffs at now.

Very good points there friend!You have enlightened my to a different perspective.I guess even the coolest music to someone can be corny to another,and at the same time can come back into fashion further down the line.Good response!

I remember MIAMI VICE mentioned on THE GOLDEN GIRLS. I remember someone dressing up as Crockett, and mentioning MIAMI VICE several times, and I remeber a line from Bea Arthur. One of the girls asked her if she was upset (about whichever situation the episode was centered on), and Bea Arthur said, "No, I'm upset becasue Crockett and Tubbs are wearing darker colors."Remember, some people may love the show, and some will hate the show, but above all, ...either way, the show will be remembered. That's all that's important.

Vice, like many other cultural phenomena that defined its decade, is one of those things that people don't remember accurately. If they'd stop generalizing and look up clips on YouTube, they'd see that the show was not as garish as they'd like to think it was. It's kind of like Starsky and Hutch -- they didn't spend the entire time dressing like pimps, but everyone seems to "think" they did. Just like Crockett and Tubbs. They wore pastels, yes, but it's not like they were driving around in a pink car wearing orange suits with yellow shoes and red pants. The style of the show is recalled incorrectly from foggy memories, at best.I also hate hearing how the show was "one big music video." It was a show that utilized cutting edge editing techniques that weaved modern music into the soundtrack to fit the dialogue and action. The way Vice is remembered, it sounds as if it's all music and gunfire for 45 minutes.

Also take a look at this:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Ub6hFt290

doesnt look like there handing them out for free to me!
Vice' date=' like many other cultural phenomena that defined its decade, is one of those things that people don't remember accurately. If they'd stop generalizing and look up clips on YouTube, they'd see that the show was not as garish as they'd like to think it was. It's kind of like Starsky and Hutch -- they didn't spend the entire time dressing like pimps, but everyone seems to "think" they did. Just like Crockett and Tubbs. They wore pastels, yes, but it's not like they were driving around in a pink car wearing orange suits with yellow shoes and red pants. The style of the show is recalled incorrectly from foggy memories, at best.I also hate hearing how the show was "one big music video." It was a show that utilized cutting edge editing techniques that weaved modern music into the soundtrack to fit the dialogue and action. The way Vice is remembered, it sounds as if it's all music and gunfire for 45 minutes.[/quote']yeah and I hate how people call it MTV cops or some jive ass crap like that (atleast have the decency to say MTV when it didn't suck and employ a woman beater like Chris Brown!) I mean I don't hear people calling Tarentino's films one big music video yet he uses the same kind of techniques that vice did for his films to match the feel of the scene
big bad man who's not to be messed with kills a drug dealer for his cash out in the middle of nowhere for no other reason than greed, an angry young man
Sonny defeats him and figures out the woman was in it all along for the attention and everything else and it all ment nothing to her in truth (can tell that just by the body language when she leaves and grabs the deputies arm at the end) what would someone do if something like that happened to them in real life? a facade that we hoped would be true turns out to be a lie, we'd feel bad about it, we'd cry if it was something seriousalso I just picked up on this but it looked like she was making a model of the graveyard of the other drug dealers there on the beach.a bunch of bad dudes walk out of a diner about to commit a serious crime and cause some serious chaos in the city of LA, for a bag full of dough
I mean the music was put in because it fit the feel of the scene, not the other way around like a music video. They literally got it backwards if they honestly believe that.and that from the episode that everyone always calls style over substance just because they didnt show the equipment burrying the cars from the sound of it.also I forgot to mention I never liked friends.

also I forgot to mention I never liked friends.

Me neither. It started the trend of sitcoms where people stand around work all day telling jokes, not actually doing any work but getting paid lots of money.

I didn't like, or watch Friends, as for some reason, I never thought the jokes were funny. The writing wasn't clever, just kind of ...amateuristic.

apparently they had the guy who produced Taxi Behind it, pimping it and all that at the begining so that might explain how it took off so well. and that according to Matt Leblank who seemed like a good guy when he was on the Gram Norton show a few nights ago. he's playing a nightmare version of himself in some british comedy lately about his fictional actions during the show hence why he was on.actually seemed quite good, that one I may have to check out but I've always prefered the british shows to the american ones like the Inspector Morse series, life on mars, ashes to ashes, Red Dwarf, waiting for god and all that.hell outside of him and maybe Jennifer aniston and the other guy who was in that film with bruce willis that had a lackluster sequel I havent heard anything about the actors from friends in it really.

I didn't like' date=' or watch Friends, as for some reason, I never thought the jokes were funny. The writing wasn't clever, just kind of ...amateuristic.[/quote']Today's brand of "awkward" comedy started in the 90s with shows like Friends. That and the decline of Saturday Night Live is another reason why I'm not very impressed with modern sitcoms or humor.

• Administrators

"Friends" wasn't that bad. I think we all see it as terrible now because it's one of those shows that didn't hold up over time. I also used to love "Starsky & Hutch" but when I watch it now it's boring as hell. People may laugh at Vice but the nice thing is that nobody on this site is laughing. We're all here because we love it. :thumbsup:

Wow Spyder, you nailed it!"Buuuuuut Raaaaaaach!" Ugh, whiny '90s males. :thumbsdown:P.S. ... "Funnybot", haha.

"Friends" wasn't that bad. I think we all see it as terrible now because it's one of those shows that didn't hold up over time. I also used to love "Starsky & Hutch" but when I watch it now it's boring as hell. People may laugh at Vice but the nice thing is that nobody on this site is laughing. We're all here because we love it. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Wow Spyder' date=' you nailed it!"Buuuuuut Raaaaaaach!" Ugh, whiny '90s males. :thumbsdown:P.S. ... "Funnybot", haha.:thumbsup:[/quote']Switek and Zito were much funnier than the guys in Friends. They should have had their own show!

Vice' date=' like many other cultural phenomena that defined its decade, is one of those things that people don't remember accurately. If they'd stop generalizing and look up clips on YouTube, they'd see that the show was not as garish as they'd like to think it was. It's kind of like Starsky and Hutch -- they didn't spend the entire time dressing like pimps, but everyone seems to "think" they did. Just like Crockett and Tubbs. They wore pastels, yes, but it's not like they were driving around in a pink car wearing orange suits with yellow shoes and red pants. The style of the show is recalled incorrectly from foggy memories, at best.I also hate hearing how the show was "one big music video." It was a show that utilized cutting edge editing techniques that weaved modern music into the soundtrack to fit the dialogue and action. The way Vice is remembered, it sounds as if it's all music and gunfire for 45 minutes.[/quote']This. A perfect explanation! :thumbsup::clap::clap::thumbsup:I hate Friends (and it has nothing to do with any MV-bashing). Frankly, and this is just IMO, it wasn't and isn't very good. A trendy sitcom that became popular because it was so airheaded and trite that it could appeal to the masses, and after 9/11, it took on a whole new role as the TV equivalent of comfort food. Oh, but it had a catchy theme song! :rolleyes :rolleyes::rolleyes:As far as NBC's mid-90's sitcoms go, Seinfeld & Frasier were far, far superior shows in every way.Again, just IMO.

This. A perfect explanation! :thumbsup::clap::clap::thumbsup:I hate Friends (and it has nothing to do with any MV-bashing). Frankly' date=' and this is just IMO, it wasn't and isn't very good. A trendy sitcom that became popular because it was so airheaded and trite that it could appeal to the masses, and after 9/11, it took on a whole new role as the TV equivalent of comfort food. Oh, but it had a catchy theme song! :rolleyes :rolleyes::rolleyes:As far as NBC's mid-90's sitcoms go, Seinfeld & Frasier were far, far superior shows in every way.Again, just IMO.[/quote']Yes, Seinfeld and Frasier, and Cheers, too, which Fraser was based on -- another smart 80s/90s comedy we just don't see more of these days.

"Friends" wasn't that bad. I think we all see it as terrible now because it's one of those shows that didn't hold up over time. I also used to love "Starsky & Hutch" but when I watch it now it's boring as hell. People may laugh at Vice but the nice thing is that nobody on this site is laughing. We're all here because we love it. :daumenrauf:
Yeah I feel the same way about Starsky' date=' they used to do reruns of it with Kojack on some station out in the middle of nowhere here that I just by dumb luck picked up with the antennae here years ago.just amazing how dated they feel now, guess that shows if you dont take a risk with something it shows and usually dates badly while stuff that did ages well.regardless of the changes in the times.
Switek and Zito were much funnier than the guys in Friends. They should have had their own show!
yeah I miss those guys, pitty they dont get casted together in stuff like with Zito in Burn notice or Switek in Nash Bridges, it really showed that they were friends in real life ill tell you that much