This Week In Miami Vice History...

mvnyc

October 22nd - October 28th:"The Big Thaw", the 4th episode of the fourth season premiered on NBC on Friday, October 23rd, 1987 at 9PM. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* This is one of two episodes ("Missing Hours" is the other) where Miami Vice borders on science fiction. In 1987 no such cryogenic technology existed. Currently it does, but only in experimental form.* Originally, the electronics whiz Steve Duddy was to be the one involved in Nevin's "thawing", but was changed to Izzy when the episode was filmed.* The episode is written by Michael Duggan under his pseudonym "Joseph DeBlasi".* The building where the cryogenics lab was (the "Fountain of Youth Nursing Home"), was actually the site of the old South Beach Elementary School, closed due to the general deterioration of the area. A new school (South Pointe Elementary), now sits on the old foundation of the previous building. "The Good Collar", the 5th episode of the Third season premiered on NBC on Friday, October 24th, 1986 at 9PM. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* John Diehl does not appear in this episode. * Count Walker plays the system well, knowing those under 18 won't likely go to adult jails, though adult prosecution of juvenile crimes (especially violent crimes) has increased. "The Dutch Oven", the 4th episode of the Second season premiered on NBC on Friday, October 25th, 1985 at 10PM. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* The Imperial Hotel (where Crockett and Max are playing gin rummy), was renovated and still exists today.* For the first time on Miami Vice, two live performances of pop songs by two different artists are shown (Cleavant Derricks and David Johansen).* This episode was filmed shortly after the first season finale "Lombard", but held back until the second season (for reasons unknown), leading to the following continuity goofs as a result: Larry Zito's beard is suddenly gone in this episode, yet it reappears in the next. Tubbs' police shield is silver instead of its usual Sergeant's gold."Calderone's Demise", the 5th episode of the First season premiered on NBC on Friday, October 26th, 1984 at 10PM. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* This episode was called "Calderone's Demise" when it originally aired, but the name was changed to "Calderone's Return (Part II)" when it went into syndication, presumably to better link it with the preceding episode, which begins the story. This second title is now it's official one, and has been used on the show's VHS and DVD releases, as well as online. * Crockett and Tubbs are the only Vice regulars to appear in this episode. Gina, Trudy, Switek and Zito do not appear at all. Castillo is not introduced until the following episode.* This episode is one of three episodes that does not feature the "Miami Vice Theme" playing during the closing credits ("Phil the Shill" and the series finale "Freefall" are the others).* This episode features one of the longest pre-credits sequences (the boat ride to the Caribbean, interspersed with flashbacks from previous encounters with the Calderone family) of the entire series.* Calderone is made-up to look much older in this episode than he did in "Brother's Keeper", with a beard and greying hair; this is presumably to make it believable that he had adult children. * When NBC originally repeated this episode on May 24th, 1985, Part I ("The Hit List") and Part II ("Calderone's Demise") were shown as a "movie" and Calderone's death scene was slightly extended to show a more violent end to the drug lord, which has not been seen on any subsequent broadcast or on the DVD collection, though some of the cut footage is shown in the montage at the end of the episode. The scene (as it is now) has clearly been shortened, as Calderone goes from standing and aiming his gun at Tubbs, to sitting and tumbling into the pool within a second. The music choices are also different: In Part One, "Pride"/U2, "Who's Zooming Who"/Aretha Franklin and "Rock By Day"/Eugene Smith were used. In Part Two: "Many Rivers To Cross/Joe Cocker and "Can't Turn Back"/Red Ryder were the choices, thus making this version a highly collectable one**.**For me personally, this is the Lost Episode of the series and #1 on my list of Miami Vice "Most Wanted" items. I never recorded this airing because it was a rebroadcast, unaware they would air a different version of the original two episodes. That being said, does anyone on this site have this version? I have looked on many tape trading sites, etc and have not located it....yet.

the Lost Episode of the series and #1 on my list of Miami Vice "Most Wanted" items. I never recorded this airing because it was a rebroadcast, unaware they would air a different version of the original two episodes. That being said, does anyone on this site have this version? I have looked on many tape trading sites, etc and have not located it....yet.

Anyone?