Hill Street Blues appreciation thread

Lar

Here's a show I think we can all appreciate: Hill Street Blues. Just as revolutionary as MV, but in a completely different way. While MV added an artistic, cinematic flair to TV, HSB brought a gritty, documentary-like feel to TV. It's safe to say both shows changed television significantly.Plus, HSB has a few connections to MV outside of the revolutionary aspects. Anthony Yerkovich was involved with HSB before creating MV, Edward James Olmos and Martin Ferrero had guest roles (there may have been others, but they escape me at the moment). HSB also features the original Sonny Crockett: A fat, racist biker!Anybody else a fan? American Life TV (channel 115, Time Warner for me) plays an episode twice every Sunday night, at 9 PM and 12 AM, if anyone cares to check it out.

• Administrators

Must have missed this topic. I was a big fan back in the day. I bowled on Thursday nights so I would always set my VCR for "must see TV" The lineup was "Cheers" "Night Court" & "Hill Street Blues" I'll never forget the episode when Joe Coffee got blown away buying a pack of Garcia Vega cigars, big shock back then.

The holiday's are over and things will get back to normal, folks might have more time to read through the many threads here. I know for myself, it takes a bit of time with life moving on as well!I enjoyed this show very much. I was a faithful viewer till it's sad passing. Some shows never lose their shine! I think it lead the way for cop shows to be much more then they were, as did vice. Some good people came from this for the industry to go forward with as well...Plus it gave us Dennis Franz.

Used to watch it back in the day with my pops. I must have been between age 4-7. I have several distinct memories about it, but none too mature. I'd love to check it out on DVD. It was definitely gritty. I can't think of a better word for it. The intro - unforgettable by the way - is worthy of a lot of praise. Those old cars peeling out from the garage into the gritty, slushy cold Chicago (that was Chi-town, right?) makes me think of growing up in industrial-drab Lansing. Favorite characters: obviously the Capt. ("Let's be careful out there.")The undercover bum who growled at everyone - I thought that was so hilarious. The blonde - next to Wonder Woman, one of my first crushes.The SWAT LT who always used to run around with a sweater-vest and pipe.Taurean Blacque.I thought Frank's wife was a major *****. Was that precocious of me?You know what strikes me about the show is that every one of the characters was memorably portrayed. I so wish I could go back to the 70s Chi-town as an adult and see what it was like. Cagey

Plus it gave us Dennis Franz.

You mean Dennis "I won't give up until I've shown my bare *** to everyone in creation" Franz? Oh, o.k. I think I know who you mean! :blind:

Those old cars peeling out from the garage into the gritty' date=' slushy cold Chicago (that was Chi-town, right?) makes me think of growing up in industrial-drab Lansing. [/quote']It was never stated where exactly the show was set. All we really know is that it's the urban midwest.I'm glad people are finding this thread!

• Administrators
Those old cars peeling out from the garage into the gritty' date=' slushy cold Chicago (that was Chi-town, right?) [/quote']Lar is right, they never said where they were located. The cars simply said Metro Police.

If anyone's around, American Life TV is playing the pilot episode at 12 AM, you've got about half an hour. Eastern time, at least. I actually missed this episode when they first started airing the series; I started watching with episode #2, and have only missed two, maybe three episodes since then (once, the cable box died, and once, maybe twice, the DVR didn't record at all for some reason).