Latest computer virus scam!!!

Ferrariman

Done! I found some malware and deleted it. Don't know why McAfee missed it...

Because Malwarebytes also deletes phone-home-components and adware which isn't necessarily hazardous or a really virus. Anyway, if I have to clean a computer, to free a computer from vicious software or to rescue some data due to a system infection, I also use Malwarebytes in most cases. It is a useful tool.

For those using macs. What exactly is it that makes them virus-proof?

1. The Apple operating system is unix based (like Linux is)2. The operating system and hardware are from the same manufacturer, so there are less "grey areas" regarding the question of working "hand in hand"3. Apple OS isn't completely virus proof, maybe 70 to 90% it Windows is the 100% benchmark4. There are less Apple then Windows users. For many virus coders it isn't worth the efforts if they can only hit a few

Apple isn't virus proof...have a look at an article I posted earlier in this thread as well as here (http://voices.yahoo.com/another-mac-virus-found-infecting-computers-11244626.html?cat=15). It has simply been a much smaller target just like android systems in phones, but that is changing with increasing volumes sold and both making themselves bigger targets by hackers. As to why Malwarebytes has been successful/what it does, have a look below at a question and answer posted on the Malwarebytes forum where they talk about having a layered defense (multiple programs as well as a firewall is the best defense).Q: I think I've made a mistake. I've always thought that "Malware" was a general term for all intentionally offense computer programs. That is, I thought, that the term "malware" inculded: Trojans, Viruses, Spyware, Worms, Backdoors, and Rootkits (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware). I have since read in these forums that, despite the implecation of the name, MalwareBytes is not an anti virus program. I am confused because many people talk about how MB removed various viruses for them. There is nothing in the sales litterature (that I can find) that says it is an anti-virus program nor anything that says it is not. What is AntiMalwareBytes? Do I need to run AV software as well? Are there any products that are not performance hogs that are both Av and anti spyware products? A: (moderator)You are correct that malware is a very general term, however Malwarebytes' is not an antivirus, it is basically a program designed to detect and remove infections that most antivirus programs tend to miss or are unable to remove. You should absolutely have an antivirus software along with a good firewall and of course a good antispyware/antimalware app like Malwarebytes'. If you want programs that are low on resource usage some good AV's would be Kaspersky and Avira Antivir (just use one of course), and for antispyware/antimalware: Malwarebytes' (of course) and SUPERAntiSpyware. If you really wanted a "suite" or all-in-one solution, I can't say that I can recommend any of them, because if you think about it you're relying on one company, one group of investigators to positively identify every single piece of malware on the internet at any given time, and that just isn't going to happen, that's why I believe the layered approach is always better. I'm sure you've heard the old saying "jack of all trades, master of none", that's how I see all-in-one security suites, they just can't detect everything on any given day.

• 2 weeks later...

P.O.'dMan... my mom just told me about getting an "FBI notification" over the phone, said that it even activated her webcam to take a photo, and the ransom to pay a penalty(for $200). Unbelievable. All this, after having googled "Christian Coloring Pages" for my young niece. Over the phone is less than ideal for me to get involved, but I'll pass her the info re: Malwarebytes and Combofix. I've used both. I'll navigate along with her. Niece wouldn't stop screaming for ice cream, so we had to end the call. :cry:These scammers need to be locked up.

Man... my mom just told me about getting an "FBI notification" over the phone' date=' said that it even activated her webcam to take a photo, and the ransom to pay a penalty(for $200). Unbelievable. All this, after having googled "Christian Coloring Pages" for my young niece. Over the phone is less than ideal for me to get involved, but I'll pass her the info re: Malwarebytes and Combofix. I've used both. I'll navigate along with her. Niece wouldn't stop screaming for ice cream, so we had to end the call. :cry:These scammers need to be locked up.[/quote']Locked up and blown away. No need to pay this ransom as it can be removed. I did a little research on this FBI Ransomware and you might also consider downloading the freeware on this site and running it in Safe Mode. (Emisoft Emergency Kit) http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-emergency-kit/

Thanks for the link. Always prefer one-stop shopping."FBI Moneypak Ransomware", according to one news source, makes $5M/yr. Unbelievable (as in, "I hope that's an exaggerated claim.")

Thanks for the link. Always prefer one-stop shopping."FBI Moneypak Ransomware"' date=' according to one news source, makes $5M/yr. Unbelievable (as in, "I hope that's an exaggerated claim.")[/quote']Sure, no worries. I hope people aren't paying that much to these lowlifes. The program can be defeated and removed. Of course it helps to already have MBAM pre-installed. But if not and you have an infection and you can't get MBAM to run, then I'd go with the Emsisoft Emergency Kit program. FYI, I tested it last night as it is a little tricky to install..just follow the extraction guidelines they provide, extract to your desktop or USB key, and then click the Start file. Just run the first program called Emergency Kit Scanner after you update it. It can be run in Safe Mode (F8) if infected or Normal Mode as well (which I did) and is designed specifically for Ransomware. I ran the full scan and it took quite awhile to complete.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

It seems there is something even worse now out there trolling the Net..a Fee-based Ransomware that charges you to Decrypt your files now has its own Customer Service website (to make sure you can pay their ransom). This one is particularly BAD because even if you remove the Ransomware from your computer using various Antimalware services your Files are Still Encrypted and you can't access them. You apparently get stuck paying the fee ranging from $300 to $4000 to Decrypt your files! ...unbelievable. So be sure and do backups frequently and use a manual backup with a device not connected to your network. That way if you're ever infected with this Nasty malware you can remove it without paying the ransom but you will need to do your own file restore.~~The Article:"The criminal gang behind the nasty CryptoLocker ransomware attack realized they were leaving money on the table from people who got this extortion notice, but could not quite figure out how to pay for the decryption key. A new "customer service" website will to help these victims and even offer an extended-payment deadline for a much higher price.Now heres a first crooks who realize the importance of customer service.Its the latest twist in the global CryptoLocker ransomware attack. This diabolically nasty malware locks up all of the victims personal files and in some cases, backup files, too with state-of-the-art encryption. The bad guys have the only decryption key and they demand $300 or two Bitcoins to get it..."The complete article can be read here: http://www.today.com/money/cryptoloc...ims-2D11586019