Red Ray, The Next Big Thing In Digital Projection

mvnyc

• Administrators

Seriously?! I can barely see the difference with blu-ray and this is supposed to be 4 times better? Please. I think most people are sick of having to replace their stuff with a new format every few years. Let the "gotta have it" techno geeks throw away their money on this stuff. I predict it will go the way of digital audio tape.

Seriously?! I can barely see the difference with blu-ray and this is supposed to be 4 times better? Please. I think most people are sick of having to replace their stuff with a new format every few years. Let the "gotta have it" techno geeks throw away their money on this stuff. I predict it will go the way of digital audio tape.

Ditto on that. Too many standard DVDs to replace with Blu-ray already and not cheap to do so. Although Blu-ray does give you more special features and behind the scenes stuff. Hard to imagine something 4 times better than Blu-ray but I'd be curious to see a demo.

Well' date=' like I said in my OP, this is really geared towards theater use. If someone (with deep pockets) has a digital cinema in their basement or living room and [i']must have the absolute best video and audio quality, than this is the next big thing. On the consumer level, like you said, this is more for the "gotta have it" gearheads who have nothing else to do with their money (10K) but ride on that constant upgrade "merry-go-round."

Ditto on that. Too many standard DVDs to replace with Blu-ray already and not cheap to do so. Although Blu-ray does give you more special features and behind the scenes stuff. Hard to imagine something 4 times better than Blu-ray but I'd be curious to see a demo.

I saw it at a trade show, where they had a "shootout" between the redray player and another digital projector (a Christie Solaria One), the Redray had a slightly sharper picture, but that was about it. With a $10,000.00 price tag, it's an expensive upgrade.

• Administrators

I remember a TV commercial a few years back for a new television. In the commercial they stated "we won't show you the picture because it will only look as good as the TV you're watching it on" I thought that was pretty slick advertising at the time. Now it makes me think of the blu-ray craze (and now possibly red-ray?) and like that TV commercial I realize that the picture is only gonna look as good as these 57 year old eyes can see it! ;) I do own a blu-ray player (because it was a gift) but that's as far as I go with upgrades.

Sometimes this whole computer-driven era makes me want to just transport back to happier times, when a stereo store was a hifi store and nothing more. Here is a Christmas ad from 1980 from the very first company I worked for, Tech Hifi:

4k is about to become the standard resolution for films and television shows. Most movie theaters are upgrading to 4k digital projectors and the next generation of televisions are already here with 4k resolution. The reason is because 4k resolution more or less perfectly captures the full extent of what can be seen on 35mm film. The 1080p sources we have seen of 35mm films and TV shows looks good, but there is still a lot of detail which can't be seen unless the resolution is increased.I don't think Red's Red Ray will really take off much outside of professional settings. We're probably just going to see 4k blurays for the public consumption and 4k streams through netflix and the like.