The band Fashion

CharlieGlide

I was reading the John Taylor (Duran Duran bassist) autobiography and he mentioned the band Fashion being a bit of an influence. Reading this, I took out an album of theirs I purchased about 7 years ago.I always loved their music used in the background in 'Evan.' It took a while but I got one of their albums (I only buy vinyl, unless it's Jan Hammer or something impossible to get), and am playing it right now.Truly an under-rated band. The singer has trouble hitting a few notes here and there and that couldn't be fixed pre-Pro Tools, so what you hear is the real deal.Musically, Fashion is pure '80s mood music. There's a song of there's called 'Eye Talk' which was a minor radio hit on the local, influential radio station I listened to growing up (KROQ in LA).Another great song is called 'Trader.' Great stuff if you love semi-progressive '80s music with a funk influence.Who else likes Fashion?

• Administrators

Sorry to say that I only know their 2 songs from Vice. "White Stuff" from "The Prodigal Son" was a song I spent years hunting for. Back in the day before I owned a PC it was almost impossible to find. The only way being that you hopefully heard it played on the radio. Needless to say, I never did! It wasn't until I hit the internet that my dream of collecting every song from Vice became a reality!Good stuff!

I heard an interview with John Taylor a couple of weeks ago on the CBC on a program called "Q"Wow that guy went through hell!!! Ahhhhh the life of a rock star?It was interesting and he was a staple of the 80's for sure! His stories of excess and style were provocative. I'm not sure but you may be able to hear the interview if you check out CBC website in Canad and look for Jian Ghomeshi's "Q". They have podcasts of many of his lucrative guests?????

I heard an interview with John Taylor a couple of weeks ago on the CBC on a program called "Q"Wow that guy went through hell!!! Ahhhhh the life of a rock star?It was interesting and he was a staple of the 80's for sure! His stories of excess and style were provocative.

The book was a good read. Alot of it is about how he was hooked on cocaine and partying. He couldn't just sit still. It was like he HAD to be out every night which would in turn lead to scoring coke. He writes a bit about how Michael Des Barres is friends with Don Johnson and they hung out a bit. Man, I bet that led to some craziness.

There's a song of there's called 'Eye Talk' which was a minor radio hit on the local' date=' influential radio station I listened to growing up (KROQ in LA).QUOTE']I grew up listening to KROQ in the 80's with Richard Blade, Rodney on the Roq, Jed the Fish. Good times. I used to love Sunday night's Mighty Wicked Reggae Revolution with Native Wayne. Did you listen to that?

I listend to Native Wayne only because I would usually listen to KROQ. My friend knows him so I've met him a few times over the years. Same with The Poorman. He used to jog by my mom's house everyday and I would see him at the Circle K sometimes by my house.I spoke to Richard Blade several years ago to see if he would DJ my wedding. We didn't get as far as price because he was booked that weekend. But he was very, very nice on the phone.

I listend to Native Wayne only because I would usually listen to KROQ. My friend knows him so I've met him a few times over the years. Same with The Poorman. He used to jog by my mom's house everyday and I would see him at the Circle K sometimes by my house.I spoke to Richard Blade several years ago to see if he would DJ my wedding. We didn't get as far as price because he was booked that weekend. But he was very' date=' very nice on the phone.[/quote']Cool stories. Richard Blade as your DJ would have been awesome. I met Native Wayne at a Steel Pulse concert at the Roxy several years ago. Nobody seemed to recognize him at the show and we just stood near the stage and talked about all kinds of stuff. This was after his KROQ show was over and he was doing another show locally called Native Wayne, Still Smokin'. I can't remember the station name, but it's defunct.I miss hearing new stuff on a show like that and the interviews. I have a huge reggae collection, a few hundred albums, and I've been listening since the early 80's. I even saw Peter Tosh at the Greek on his last tour before he was shot in '87. Reggae's just lost its popularity over the years. Even the Long Beach Reggae festival was cancelled last year after I don't know how many years. I went at least a dozen times. There've been a few hits by Damien Marley, Sean Paul, and Matisyahu over the years, but then it disappears again.I always wished Vice used more reggae music. It would have been appropriate given Miami has the largest West Indian population in the US and reggae was much more popular then. Worst of all, only two episodes I remember dealt with Jamaicans and one was the silly "Big Thaw" episode. I never understood why.