Sandoval's poem from "Free Verse"

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

Remember the poem Sandoval recited. It was at a university, I think. I've always wondered if this was a "real" poem that the screen writers borrowed for the script or if the writers actually came up with it themselves. I'm not a poet nor am I a judge of what constitutes good poetry, but I thought it was a pretty nice poem.

Good question, I've wondered this myself as well. I wonder if the other poems he recites in the episode are from the same source. I mean, I feel like all of the poems have a similar feel to them. I've never done any research on the subject, though.

I would put money on it that whoever wrote the script wrote the poetry. Especially since the poems aren't too long and they speak directly to the storyline.

Guest myonlyvice

I would put money on it that whoever wrote the script wrote the poetry. Especially since the poems aren't too long and they speak directly to the storyline.

That would be strong evidence if it were true, but I don't recall any direct connections to the storyline. What verses in particular did you have in mind? I suppose poems can mean whatever you want them to mean.

A user called goffscalifornia from miamivicefan fanclub in Yahoo! groups transcribed the poem Sandoval recited in the university:In the place where I came from the jungles were a jade wall And the plains rolled like the sea The mountains carried the wind on their shoulders But some thought the sky was too bright and they wept And others thought the sea was too deep and they gasped for breath And some said we use the land - it cannot be owned or possessed And others said we did not create this and so it mocks us And therefore we will take it And they said that which we did not create we still can kill And they rolled out in all their armor The horses weighed down under the weight And the rains came And the mud And they sank in the land which they could not possess Upon the earth which they did not create

• Like 1

A user called goffscalifornia from miamivicefan fanclub in Yahoo! groups transcribed the poem Sandoval recited in the university:In the place where I came from the jungles were a jade wallAnd the plains rolled like the seaThe mountains carried the wind on their shouldersBut some thought the sky was too bright and they weptAnd others thought the sea was too deep and they gasped for breathAnd some said we use the land - it cannot be owned or possessedAnd others said we did not create this and so it mocks usAnd therefore we will take itAnd they said that which we did not create we still can killAnd they rolled out in all their armorThe horses weighed down under the weightAnd the rains cameAnd the mudAnd they sank in the land which they could not possess Upon the earth which they did not create

Thanks for posting the poem. Have to say, it 'sounds' better on the page. I always thought the poem was an analogy with the poet's situation on Vice where he is a fish out of water in Miami and how he is being hunted. I was probably over-thinking this, but I suppose that's one purpose of poetry.On a practical level, I wonder if the production would go to the trouble to get a clearance to use the poem if it's from a non-Miami Vice staffer, and/or if the production would pay money for it.For what it's worth, on a couple shows I've worked on I've written fake news stories, fake lyrics and so on. It's just faster and easier to do it all in-house.

Thanks for posting the poem. Have to say' date=' it 'sounds' better on the page. I always thought the poem was an analogy with the poet's situation on Vice where he is a fish out of water in Miami and how he is being hunted. I was probably over-thinking this, but I suppose that's one purpose of poetry.On a practical level, I wonder if the production would go to the trouble to get a clearance to use the poem if it's from a non-Miami Vice staffer, and/or if the production would pay money for it.For what it's worth, on a couple shows I've worked on I've written fake news stories, fake lyrics and so on. It's just faster and easier to do it all in-house.[/quote']Appreciate the info. Figured as much after giving it a bit thought. I'm gonna watch the episode again this evening, just to analyze the poems again. I really like them. I think those poems have actually awoken an appreciation for poetry in me. It would be cool to know who wrote these poems. It doesn't really matter if it was a show's writer or some actual poet, just give the credit where it's due. I wonder how hard it would be to find out who the author is.

Guest myonlyvice
Thanks for posting the poem. Have to say' date=' it 'sounds' better on the page. I always thought the poem was an analogy with the poet's situation on Vice where he is a fish out of water in Miami and how he is being hunted. I was probably over-thinking this, but I suppose that's one purpose of poetry.On a practical level, I wonder if the production would go to the trouble to get a clearance to use the poem if it's from a non-Miami Vice staffer, and/or if the production would pay money for it.For what it's worth, on a couple shows I've worked on I've written fake news stories, fake lyrics and so on. It's just faster and easier to do it all in-house.[/quote']I'm leaning towards an internal job myself. It would probably cost too much time and money to secure the rights to an external work. Whoever the writer(s) was/were, I think they took a pretty decent stab at some poetry. I don't really understand it and I certainly don't see any connections to the episode's plot, but it sounds really nice. Thank you to whoever posted the transcription. :clap: That's cool that you wrote fake news and lyrics and whatnot. You could work for "The Onion"! :)