Episode 89 - Blood And Roses

miamijimf

Unknown location: Cook´s house. The entrance we see in the teaser and the entrance that C&T take when they come driving in are the same, i.e. we see in both scenes the main entrance and its driveway.

Clues: mulched driveway (not paved-very rare), entrance far away from the road (heavy vegetation in between), the chimney, the roof (partially flat, partially elevated, block-shaped structures, the pool is partially under a diagonal ceiling, the wall next to the pool is long and seems to be interrupted. Most of that should be visible above.

My assumption: due to heavy vegetation and size of property and surrounding this must be somewhere south and not within normal and narrow residential areas (NE Coconut Grove, ...).

I searched a lot already but no find. This time the "look for bushy areas" strategy did not work that fast.

PS in my last picture I have encircled a strange object. Looks like the fallen leafbase of a palm tree. No clue why it is there. It is lying on the tile-floor but it was also visible in the teaser when Mosca stepped over it. 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.39.34.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.40.28.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.40.49.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.41.27.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.41.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.42.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 19.42.43.png

• Like 1

I just did an exhaustive search for Cook's house (set back from road, vegetation, marrow pool) from CGrove down to Pinecrest, Glenvar, Kendall but I couldn't find it.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

I just did an exhaustive search for Cook's house (set back from road, vegetation, marrow pool) from CGrove down to Pinecrest, Glenvar, Kendall but I couldn't find it.

Me neither. Could it be somewhere else, up north? I don’t see any heavy vegetation areas in Golden Beach or north of downtown that could fit.

10 hours ago, Tom said:

Me neither. Could it be somewhere else, up north? I don’t see any heavy vegetation areas in Golden Beach or north of downtown that could fit.

It could be south of Pinecrest.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

It could be south of Pinecrest.

Don´t think so. First, I searched much further down and found nothing. Second, further south of Pinecrest are not many areas left with heavy vegetation.

But it´s gotts be somewhere. Very unlikely that they tore it down.

Edited by Tom

27 minutes ago, Tom said:

Don´t think so. First, I searched much further down and found nothing. Second, further south of Pinecrest are not many areas left with heavy vegetation.

decent candidate:  https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=b011d3e8-fa8a-44b5-b736-617cdeea31c8&cp=25.620009~-80.312175&lvl=21&dir=90&style=g&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

• Like 1

vor 16 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

This is a nice modern home I´ve checked days ago. Unfortunately, It has no similarity with Cook´s house we see in the episode. Neither the pool, nor the building structure. It qualifies only for the distant location in the moddle of a wooden area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the find of the Deliver us from evil house that is also far away from the street, I intensified my search for the Cook house around the dense green areas east of SW57 Ave recently, but no luck.

Besides, extensive searches on realtor platforms for houses in Greater Miami built between 1984 and 1987 haven´t yielded anything. 

Maybe the Cook house has more things in common with the DUFE house than the far-off-road?  Maybe it was also not sold in the last 30 years (thus no realtor pics) and maybe it is older than I thought? I had two or three cases on my searches where I found houses that looked like VICE 80s but were in fact built mid- to end 70s.

What is still very unique is the mulched driveway (but it could be gone by now of course). I only found two houses in total that had the same feature and one of them was Angelina´s home at 7000 SW69 Ave. 

@daytona365 maybe we can solve that house like the Deliver us from evil home but with switched roles (I don’t spot it despite heavy scans but you do?)?:p

Somehow I am running out of ideas where to look as I have checked every house with heavy greenery in Dade County and even up in Broward (not many there).?(

I am sharing a new picture evidence here that adds to that issue. Please pay attention to the reflection in the window (marked in red), especially with the really high trees in the background (it also shows the wall and the plants alongside the pool that we see in another scene). That together with the driveway that has endless green jungle in the background indicates that there are not many areas in Greater Miami that fit.

P.S. and there is a long white wall visible behind Tubbs that goes all along to the right and is seen also in the window with the palm trees.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-05 um 22.52.30.png

Edited by Tom

Another interesting evidence as to how the overall property might be structured. 

1. the pool is very narrow with wooden walkways on both sides.

2. Left of the pool is a long briefly interrupted wall that might indicate the end of property (which seems to be narrow in the front from left to right indicated by the drive up scene of C&T), left of the pool seems to be a garden with a wall in the background (one brief glimpse behind the old lady gives a view to that) that is (outside of our screen, but) separated from the pool with a long window or a glass wall (see point 3).

3. The pool area can be seen from the house through a window .It can briefly be seen in the scene with Mosca walking onto the scene.

4. There seems to be a circled shaped driveway in front of the house (indicated by the cars location and the bushes in the left of the scene where C&T drive up plus the palm trees seen behind C&T when they enter the building.

Bottom line: los of unique clues that should be visible from above but yet I can´t find it. Demolished maybe?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-05 um 22.43.17.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-05 um 22.46.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-05 um 22.47.56.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-05 um 22.48.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-05 um 22.51.40.png

Edited by Tom

1 hour ago, Tom said:

@daytona365 maybe we can solve that house like the Deliver us from evil home but with switched roles (I don’t spot it despite heavy scans but you do?)?:p

Somehow I am running out of ideas where to look as I have checked every house with heavy greenery in Dade County and even up in Broward (not many there).?(

I am sharing a new picture evidence here that adds to that issue. Please pay attention to the reflection in the window (marked in red), especially with the really high trees in the background (it also shows the wall and the plants alongside the pool that we see in another scene). That together with the driveway that has endless green jungle in the background indicates that there are not many areas in Greater Miami that fit.

P.S. and there is a long white wall visible behind Tubbs that goes all along to the right and is seen also in the window with the palm trees.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-05 um 22.52.30.png

Yeah I noticed that reflection too. You'd be suprised if I'd tell you how many hours I've already spent looking for this house, that's actually when I also went over Hammock Lake Dr and missed the "DUVE" house although I was looking for that too. I also looked at a couple hundred realtor photos. The house looks brand spanking new in the episode, would be sad if it has been demolished. Maybe we can use a divide and conquer approach with each of us focus on a certain area?

vor einer Stunde schrieb daytona365:

Yeah I noticed that reflection too. You'd be suprised if I'd tell you how many hours I've already spent looking for this house, that's actually when I also went over Hammock Lake Dr and missed the "DUVE" house although I was looking for that too. I also looked at a couple hundred realtor photos. The house looks brand spanking new in the episode, would be sad if it has been demolished. Maybe we can use a divide and conquer approach with each of us focus on a certain area?

Good idea. I even looked up north in Lauderdale, El Portal and near Golden Beach but there are no such green areas. If no one has an idea where to look up north of downtown we can split up the southern part. If @airtommyand @C Glideare in too we have at least 4 areas to assign: West of Dixie, Pinecrest, Grove and Coral Gables.I volunteer for any of them.

I even used search engines from realtors for identifying all houses built between 84 and 87. But if that house was not sold in last 20 years Like the DUFE home you‘ll not find it there.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Checked Kendall and Glenvar Heights (all "green" areas west of Dixie) yesterday night and no find.  Just to save you guys time from going over it again. I started there again because it struck me upon watching Crockett´s house in Kendall that it had the same trees and a mulched driveway next to the stepping tiles which I found an interesting similarity.

It is interesting that in Kendall there are -in contrast to other Miami Dade areas - at least some houses with mulched driveways and similar branched trees like with Cooks home (Cooks home has a lot of these trees in front and on the side of the building and hardly any palm trees in front of it - as opposed to Coconut Grove by the way). 

There are also homes there built in 1987 that look very similar to other bauhaus style buildings used in VICE (DUFE house, Traynor villa). The cook house is a bit different in roofing and style (more 70s Bauhaus style) and I found a few similar buildings from the late 70s but that was it. One house was built in 1988 and would have fitted well in a VICE episode.

Today, I will look into Coconut Grove, Coral Gables and Pinecrest, if anybody wants to coordinate search areas.

• Like 2

half an hour ago I wanted to start this post with "I'm officially giving up on this sucker". My eyes were burning from countless hours of staring at aerials. But then I put on the episod once again and started doing a sketch of what the house would look from above. This is what I came up with:

grafik.png.38940cd7bb8089f8051ab3728f456d37.png

after I had drawn this, I thought "wait a minute, I've seen this house a couple hours before but have dismissed it". Now I'm pretty sure it actually is the house. Looks like there has actually been only minor remodelling:

Cook_1.thumb.jpg.68f5fed6da255ed79db1eb2088080a1e.jpg

Cook_2.jpg.46fd11909c5f7b019c94f4d5f4712b6d.jpg

Cook_3.thumb.jpg.775da91ac34c7f5a223979d8bcb3219e.jpg

google maps and bing maps seem to be confused about the address , it's either 8650 SW 53rd Ave or 5255 N Kendall Dr.. I can't find any realtor pics of the house, so this would maybe call for a proper recon mission by @C Glide. For the DUFE house we're likely to get pictures provided by the owners themselves, so no immediate need to go to theirs.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

vor einer Stunde schrieb daytona365:

half an hour ago I wanted to start this post with "I'm officially giving up on this sucker". My eyes were burning from countless hours of staring at aerials. But then I put on the episod once again and started doing a sketch of what the house would look from above. This is what I came up with:

grafik.png.38940cd7bb8089f8051ab3728f456d37.png

after I had drawn this, I thought "wait a minute, I've seen this house a couple hours before but have dismissed it". Now I'm pretty sure it actually is the house. Looks like there has actually been only minor remodelling:

Cook_1.thumb.jpg.68f5fed6da255ed79db1eb2088080a1e.jpg

Cook_2.jpg.46fd11909c5f7b019c94f4d5f4712b6d.jpg

Cook_3.thumb.jpg.775da91ac34c7f5a223979d8bcb3219e.jpg

google maps and bing maps seem to be confused about the address , it's either 8650 SW 53rd Ave or 5255 N Kendall Dr.. I can't find any realtor pics of the house, so this would maybe call for a proper recon mission by @C Glide. For the DUFE house we're likely to get pictures provided by the owners themselves, so no immediate need to go to theirs.

You gotta be kidding me! I looked at that house 10 times already! It is the neighbor´s house of Lois in "Love at first sight" that I inspected and posted interior pics about last week!

The mistake I made (and why I dismissed it) as opposed to you: I did not recognize that the pool is alongside the house but thought the pool is shorter and at a 90 degree angle to the house. Also, they filmed these scenes in a way that it was hard to bring the puzzle pieces together as to draw up a complete sketch of the property. Now everything makes sense - the pool, the long window, the long garden, the wall and the roof.

Second mistake I made: I thought the very long green mulchy driveway means that it has to be far off. The explanation is easy: this house is a corner property with two entrances and two official addresses! The side entrance is the long one we see in the episode. The main entrance on SW 53 Ave is off screen.

Congrats pal! You have earned your place on the leader board with two major locations on one day!

Edited by Tom
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

The mistake I made (and why I dismissed it) as opposed to you: I did not recognize that the pool is alongside the house but though the pool is shorter and at a 90 degree angle.

The reflection in the kitchen window made me realize this. They come in and there's this long hallway. Tubbs turns to the left and comes out at the southwest corner of the main house, then turns right into the kitchen and moving towards the pool area. As he approaches the glass front, you can clearly see the long wall that runs along the pool reflected in the window with those long, black covered lights that were visible during the party scene.

This example once more underlines the benefits from drawing sketches. I have also been over this house multiple times without catching it.

Edited by daytona365

vor 27 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

The reflection in the kitchen window made me realize this. They come in and there's this long hallway. Tubbs turns to the left and comes out at the southwest corner of the main house, then turns right into the kitchen. As he approaches the glass front, you can clearly see the long wall that runs along the pool reflected in the window with those long, black covered lights that were visible during the party scene.

I realized this, but I suspected that there was a cut between Tubbs entering&turning left and when he entered the kitchen, so I did not link these two scenes geographically! Big mistake!

Now, let´s look for interior pics. The Lois home next door was also (heavily) remodelled and there are lots of pics.

But that´s just for completeness of experience! THat´s 100% the location given the chimney and the layout.

BTW: It´s 8605 SW 53 Ave, not 8650 (main address). The alternate (street access road where C&T came from) is 5255 N Kendall drive, with a Jody Wolfe Consulting company registered, but also no pics available. I suspect that two lots were merged as the northernmost building part is shown in Google lotting only under 8605 SW 53 Ave and the southern building part marked with 5255 N. Kendall.

Historic aerials from 1986 is not very conclusive. It shows Lois home neighborhouse much smaller and Cooks house pretty much the same. The diagonal canopy over the pools end where Gina stood is not visible there either.

Mysterious is: the house is listed as built and renovated in 1950. What we see in the episode is definetely not from 1950, so they must have missed another renovation later on the records..

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-10 um 16.25.35.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-10 um 16.26.18.png

Edited by Tom

22 minutes ago, Tom said:

BTW: It´s 8605 SW 53 Ave, not 8650 (main address).

I know, but bing maps keeps showing that address. Still can't find any pics though

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

I know, but bing maps keeps showing that address. Still can't find any pics though

You thought now comes the easy part ? :p

@daytona365 As you seem to have a good run today, what about finding the wooden Lombard house and Rita´s house from the same episode (World of Trouble) today as well?:D

No pictures yet, but I have found some clue that the house was indeed at least remodelled in 1981 and two lots (two houses and two "living units") merged. That would fit better with what we see than 1950 which seems to be the original build date only.

I have found Ms. Wolfe´s (owner of the property) telephone number in case we don´t find any pictures ...:p

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-10 um 16.43.06.png

Edited by Tom

Am 6.6.2020 um 10:26 schrieb Tom:

@daytona365 perfect how you executed this plan! :clap:

8605 SW 53 Ave OR 5255 N. KENDALL DRIVE (both addresses work, but the latter is listed officially everywhere)

For all others who want to understand why two addresses and how the drive up scene of Crockett & Tubbs with the huge green background works, I attach two pics that show the whole story. The circle driveway is hardly visible through heavy canopy (just a small fraction is visible and it looks like paved, not mulchy anymore but we have to go there in person to confirm this aspect. North Kendall Drive is just another -old- name for SW 88 Street (as is Montgomery Drive for SW 120 Street for example).

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-10 um 17.18.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-10 um 17.18.58.png

Edited by Tom

1 hour ago, Tom said:

@daytona365 As you seem to have a good run today, what about finding the wooden Lombard house and Rita´s house from the same episode (World of Trouble) today as well?:D

Nah. I think I have a hunch where it might be but I gotta prepare dinner, otherwise the kids will eat ME! New day, new luck...

Edited by daytona365
  • Haha 1

On 6/6/2020 at 10:26 AM, Tom said:

• Haha 1

Tubbs:  "Do you get the feeling we've staked this crib before?"

Crockett:  "Yeah or down the street or on the next block or something"

I wonder if they ad-libbed the lines since they had filmed next door a few months before.

• Like 1