How did you get into Vice?

SonnyCrockettBurnett01

I used to watch it as a kid when I was living in D.C. My parents really didn't let me watch it since it came on late, but I used to catch it when it would replay (feels like maybe it was on Saturday or something that it would replay?)At some point in my life, I ended up moving to South Florida (a few minutes north of Miami in North Miami) and started watching re-runs that were playing on one of the cable channels (long time ago). I really got into it then. Strangely enough, most of the people who grew up in South Florida during the time that MV was airing, actually hate the show. The reason being that they felt that Miami Vice made it seem like Miami was nothing but a drug infested city.Truth be told... a lot of the people who grew up down here really have no idea just how much Miami Vice shaped the city. While much of the "colors" of Miami Vice existed before the show, it was the show that brought focus to them, and in many respects, helped save South Beach, and much of the art-deco structures in the design district, etc. It really brought a lot of publicity to the city, and the city grew as a result of it. During the time that Miami Vice was on the air, Miami was /AWESOME/ to the rest of the US. Before then, most people thought Miami was nothing more than a place for Cubans to escape from Castro, and for old people to retire to. MV really turned that around.Anyway... I'm rambling and not saying anything that you guys don't already know anyway!

.. Strangely enough' date=' most of the people who grew up in South Florida during the time that MV was airing, actually hate the show. The reason being that they felt that Miami Vice made it seem like Miami was nothing but a drug infested city...[/quote']don't know what was Miami citizens feeling about the show , but this the opposite , it's because of Miami vice that public opinion and US government started to focus on the cocaïne problem and on the Medellin cartel . the smugglers Bahamas rear base Norman's cay was closed after an NBC documentary

don't know what was Miami citizens feeling about the show ' date=' but this the opposite , it's because of Miami vice that public opinion and US government started to focus on the cocaïne problem and on the Medellin cartel . the smugglers Bahamas rear base Norman's cay was closed after an NBC documentary[/quote']Yeah... it's weird. My wife is from Miami, and she always told me that she hated Miami Vice because the show made it seem like there was crime everywhere (and there was! hahahah). All her friends that she grew up with hated it too. She's nuts though, it's awesome... and honestly while I watched a bunch of shows early on when I moved here, it wasn't until maybe 4-5 years ago that I started watching it regularly because it came on a TV channel here called "Sleuth TV" or something. I used to watch it and get so excited when I'd see something that I recognized.

Short but sweet. I watched the pilot with my father when I was 14 and kept watching. We didn't have a VCR so I may have missed a few back then, but I saw most of them when they originally aired. It was on the whole time I was in high school and it influenced the fashions and the music. It was easily the most influential show of the time.I saw a few reruns in the early 90's and then I got away from it for about 20 years! I only started watching it again when Centric began rerunning it a couple of years ago. Some episodes I remembered surprisingly well, like the pilot, No Exit, Out Where the Busses Don't Run, Smuggler's Blues, and Little Miss Dangerous, to name a few. Many were very vague so it was like watching new episodes. Then I found this site and now I have the DVD's and all kinds of information about the show no one could have dreamed of back then.I joked with Coop last year that maybe the show subconsciously affected me, because I ended up moving to Long Beach, CA and living at a marina and owning boats. I even showed him some pictures of my place and it has a very modernist, minimal style that was popular then. Who knew? http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?1445-COOPER-amp-BURNETT-S-quot-VICE-HOME-quot-PHOTOS/page34http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?1233-MY-MIAMI-VICE-FANTASY-LIFE/page11http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?1233-MY-MIAMI-VICE-FANTASY-LIFE/page9No Ferrari yet, though my wife has a convertible beetle. I have an old VW bus that could sub for Larry and Stan's bugvan! That wasn't so short. I'll stop now.

channel here called "Sleuth TV" or something. I used to watch it and get so excited when I'd see something that I recognized.

Ah, yes, Sleuth. IIRC for the first year there, the channel only ran seasons one and two over and over, and then opened up with the last three the second year. MV actually lasted a lot longer (3 years, I think) than many of their shows; The Equalizer and Knight Rider were dumped after only a year there, I believe. Sleuth was, for a relatively brief time, a really fantastic channel with a terrific line-up. Not only did they show MV some respect (made all the more glaring after TV Land unceremoniously dumped the series), but they also ran Magnum, P.I., Simon & Simon, and a number of other great shows. Since it was uncertain at one point when (or if) seasons three, four, and five were going to come out, Sleuth's relatively un-chopped up airings (compared to TV Land's, at least) were just great. It's not overstating things to say that the channel did much to foster my ever-growing love of MV in those years.Nowadays, it's "Cloo", and the line-up is nowhere near as good as it was. I think the only thing they run that I would watch is MacGyver, and truthfully, that show hasn't aged well for me.