"Cows Of October" first instrumental track

ivoryjones

Happy 2009 everybody!I wonder if someone knows what's the name of the first instrumental/orchestral track we hear on "Cows of October", when Sonny and Rico have to hide from the cows... It seems it's not on any Miami Vice Music List.

Unfortunately the track from the beginning of the ep seems to be another one. I don't believe it's credited anywhere. It seems to be from some classic movie like other tracks we hear on the ep, but I have no clue on that.Thanks anyway!

Guest The Talk
Unfortunately the track from the beginning of the ep seems to be another one. I don't believe it's credited anywhere. It seems to be from some classic movie like other tracks we hear on the ep' date=' but I have no clue on that.Thanks anyway![/quote']I guess you are right.I watched this scene and then listened to the music that is listed.To me it sounds very similar to "The Magnificant Seven" but it isn't the same. More like a variation.Maybe Dadrian has an idea? :radar:

I guess there's another music cue in the ep that might be hard to know who played it, that's the one we hear at the end of it, when the cowboy is already in the plane.

it is from Magnificant sevenbut not the main melody. It is the beginning of one of the scores Elmer Bernstein composed for this movie.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom71,Do you mean the cue from the beginning of the ep (cows running) or the one from its end (Calvin in the plane)?

Guest The Talk
I guess there's another music cue in the ep that might be hard to know who played it' date=' that's the one we hear at the end of it, when the cowboy is already in the plane.[/quote']To me this one sounds more like a Jan Hammer (at that time rather say John Petersen) composition.

Yes, I thought of that too. There's a kind of distorted guitar in the background that sounds like Jan or John Petersen guitar we may hear in earlier and later eps. I think we'll never be quite sure, though.I'm passing through season 4 in order to check it out with some attention Jan Hammer and John Petersen music. As it happened when I did it with Tim Truman's music (which I consider great), I was happy to find that there's a lot of good things in it (not that I think that that possible cue from the end of "Cows Of October" is a fine example of it!). For instance, I like the "Vote Of Confidence" theme a lot.

@ivory: I referred to your very first question and that was about the teaser. The final piece is indeed a John Petersen tune as THE TALK already pointed out correctly.

Thanks Tom71 and THE TALK. I got it that the 1st cue is Elmer Bernstein composition for "Magnificent Seven" (and the last is Hammer/Petersen work, or perhaps more Petersen than anything else). If along the way you step into the exact name of the Bernstein cue, please let me know, as this one just bit me curious...Interesting link Neworder, thanks. It's a pitty that Petersen material might not ever be released. I guess that if he pursued an agreement with Universal they would at the end made it possible, as Jan Hammer released many material from the series and I believe Tim Truman had some thoughts on doing something like that (hope one day he will). But then again maybe Petersen case is more complicated because he would depend also on Jan Hammer's interest in releasing it. Not only interest in releasing it, but also an almost certain interest in reworking it, as it's rare hearing any Miami Vice material that he didn't rework on a CD release. Sometimes I wish he didn't do that. I like the MV material as it is, no matter if some cues last only 10 seconds or sound a bit "raw" to some (not to me). For instance, I prefer a lot "The Poem" material as we hear in "Free Verse" than with the percussion stuff he added on the CD. And that is a case in which only Jan was involved: I can't imagine how the two musicians would agree 'reworking' the material they created together more than 20 years ago for the 14 eps from "Missing Hours" to "A Bullet For Crockett"...