What Happened to Papa Legba?

Tony D.

Papa Legba hasn't been here since May of 2011. He also was sick but was starting to get better and now he's MIA. I'm worried about his condition. :sick:We should have a list of MIA's. People who were active but suddenly dropped out! :radar:

We had the Remembering Old Vicers thread, might be time to dig it out. Papa L. hasn't been around in almost two years, I couldn't believe it when I saw that a second ago. I hope he's o.k.Almost forgot, there used to be this funny post we had about "the cycle of a lurker". I'd like to see it again.It went something like:1. Brand new lurker2. Test the waters3. Come into the light4. Post a lot5. Post down trickle6. Get bored7. Lurk8. Go back to step 3 Always very thought-provoking, how people come to be in and participate in online communities.

Yep' date=' Papa Legba is very well & still has a wicked sense of humour. Maria 714 also post on F/B but no longer is seen on here - she is ok too[/quote']Thank you Miamijimf & CarolineUK for this info. I was really getting worried about them both. :thumbsup:I deactivated my facebook account because I was getting stangers wanting to chat or meet me and I don't like all the silly people telling you every dumb thing they do. :thumbsdown:Maybe COOP defected to fake book ( Facebook )??? I doubt it.....he said he didn't like it.

Thank you Miamijimf & CarolineUK for this info. I was really getting worried about them both. :thumbsup:I deactivated my facebook account because I was getting stangers wanting to chat or meet me and I don't like all the silly people telling you every dumb thing they do. :thumbsdown:Maybe COOP defected to fake book ( Facebook )??? I doubt it.....he said he didn't like it.

Amen..I have no desire to have a FB account. I read a number of blogs and talked to many people who feel it wastes their time with posts about innane topics, getting updates about mindless nonsense from hundreds or even thousands of people, getting 'liked' from complete strangers, or 'likes' even from companies that are taking over the site with endless marketing pushes to boost revenues. I know the younger set is big into it, but so far I have resisted having any temptation.Would be good to get Legba and others back in here if possible.

Amen..I have no desire to have a FB account. Would be good to get Legba and others back in here if possible.

Amen to that! Get them back here. :thumbsup:

"Papa Legba!? They said you were dead?"Hi everyone. Maria gave me a heads up this thread.Firstly. Tony, good to hear from you again. How are you? I must apologise for my absence. I appreciate all the support you gave me throughout my health concerns. Following an MRI scan, the problem appeared to be a growth spur on one of my vertebrae that was putting pressure on the spinal cord, which was mimicking the symptoms of MS. But I don't have MS! I'm not entirely convinced that this was the whole reason for my health problems at the time. It's a long story, but my belief is that it was possibly down to some medication that I was taking at the time which was starting to give me weird side effects. Anyway, since stopping taking that medication two and a half years ago, I am now much better than what I was.There has been no concious reason for me not being on here recently. I guess i've just naturally migrated over to Facebook over the course of time. I shall have to check in here more often.With regards to Facebook, it is true that it is a website which is demonised often and I think people either love it or hate it. However I have always said that like any form of communication, it is only as good as the people who use it. Yes, you do occasionally get some people telling you what mundane thing that they're up to or bragging about what they have. However despite it's reputation, it can also be an excellent way of asking for help, offering your services, and also sharing thoughts about topical events and discussing serious issues. I also know that a lot of the cynicism towards Facebook derives from a sense of paranoia about the extent to which the tentacles of corporate organisations have access to our personal information, but personally I believe that is largely unfounded. The adverts are only generated automatically from the demographic information that you provide. So for example, because Facebook is aware that I am "39" and "single", I then get adverts appearing in the right hand margin for "mature" dating sites. That's the extent to which that goes. So I would encourage people to keep an open mind about it. There are also a few interesting Vice actors on my friends list including Saundra Santiago, Olivia Brown, Phanie Napoli, Bill Smitrovich, and Marc Macauley, who also make regular posts.I have also been busy writing a blog, which for anyone who is interested is at http://worldofalexraybould.wordpress.com/But yeah, Tony. Many thanks for your concern. Sorry I've not been in touch. Even if I don't see you guys on Facebook I'll try and pop in here more often!Remoooooooooove the barrier!Papa

• Administrators

Good to hear from you Papa! Glad everything is going ok for you. As for facebook, I agree, you either love it or hate it. I can't really say I hate it, I'm just a private person and have no desire to share the details of my life with everyone. Another good reason I avoid it is because the last time I browsed it from a friends account I found all the usual suspects there. RB, srobak and several others whom I'd much rather forget. Anyone else I care to contact, I already have by conventional means, namely telephone or in person.But this topic is about Papa Legba and I'm glad he's ok! Stop in and say hi once in a while Papa!

Hi Papa,Your titled you post, "Papa Legba!? They said you were dead?" I knew you were not dead- Zombies are undead. :DSeriously, glad to see you posting here again.

Papa Legba,We never talked or met, but i am glad such a honored member is still around here!For those who don't trust that FB ( and that will include myself) just set your privacy level on very high... filter those spam...just let your friends, and i mean real friends, interact with you.I am a FB member now for 2 years and i am just interacting with about 35 of my real friends. And i am enjoying it so much.Tony, it's great to see that our "father of the forum" Tony D. is taking care of every earned member!God bless you.

Hey Papa Legba.......what a relief to know you are O.K. and it's great to know you will be checking in from time to time! :clap:If I looked at Facebook I'd probably know you were there.Say hello to Maria 714, also.@Christian.......thanks for your kind words!Hello Shill, welcome back........it's like a Miami Vice Convention today! :D:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cagey......Papa & Maria are spending more time on Facebook, but said they'll check in periodically.

• 1 month later...

What have you been up to Papa Legba ??:thumbsup::D

Well I turned 40 earlier this month. Spent a couple of weeks in Thailand last month. Glad to see Shill is still around. Never knew he was German though!? :D

Well I turned 40 earlier this month. Spent a couple of weeks in Thailand last month. Glad to see Shill is still around. Never knew he was German though!? :D

Great to know :D

Hi Alex,This is what happened to Papa Legba, a.k.a. Clarence Williams III. He must have survived because he came back to Miami as an evil Haitian gangster who everyone thought was dead. He's not a zombie but the similarities to Tale of the Goat are pretty striking. This is in Burn Notice's season two episode- Truth and Reconciliation.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7871[/ATTACH]

post-16-13892965547705_thumb.jpg

Well I turned 40 earlier this month. Spent a couple of weeks in Thailand last month.

Happy birthday!And - my co-worker got gored in the arm by a water buffalo there. Good times, he says! The nurses dumped some peroxide on him and just sewed him up with no anaesthetic.

7871[/ATTACH]

Hi Jim. After you first told me about this episode, I decided to rewatch "American Gangster" on dvd, starring Russell Crowe, Denzel Washington, Clarence Williams III as Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson. Playing a gangster, he uses that sinister quality he has very well. He doesn't appear for long in the film, but appears more in the Directors cut/extended edition.