This Week In Miami Vice History...

mvnyc

March 4th - 10th:"Made For Each Other", the 18th episode of the 1st season, premiered on NBC on Friday, March 8th, 1985 at 10PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* This episode was one of a very few that focused on the close-knit friendship of Switek and Zito, which survived Zito's personal tragedy (his house burning down) and having to move in with Switek while he lived with Zito's ex.* Darlene puts up a picture of Princess Diana and Prince Harry as a baby. * Most of the non-Jan Hammer music in this episode is by Elvis Presley, as Switek is a big Elvis fan.* Philip Michael Thomas was injured doing a stunt in this episode and doesn't appear for over half of this and all of the next episode ("The Home Invaders"). * During the original broadcast of this episode, the two bikini-clad girls walking down the steps in the intro were wearing Miami Vice staff jackets. This has not been seen since, be it syndication, on DVD, on Hulu, or on Netflix. * One of the counterfeiters in the opening scene is playing with one of the then-brand new "Transformers" toys, specifically that of the character "Shockwave." Noogie can also be briefly seen wearing a "Transformer" watch, when he and Izzy steal the cement truck. "The Fix", the 18th episode of the 2nd season, premiered on NBC on Friday, March 7th, 1986 at 10PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* Bill Russell was credited by his full name, William F. Russell, in this episode.* The University of Miami reinstated basketball at the school starting with the 1985-86 season after a 14-year hiatus.* Bernard King was a star NBA player for 16 years, playing with the New York Knicks at the time of this episode.* This episode's visual quality is significantly lower than any other of the second season, with the images often appearing blurry and poorly defined. The reasons behind this are not known. **There was no Season 3 premiere episode this week**"Honor Among Theives", the 16th episode of the 4th season, premiered on NBC on Friday, March 4th, 1988 at 9PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* This is one of the few episodes where Crockett & Tubbs are so undercover, they can't even get out to OCB. * Palmo's house appears to be the same one used for Alexander Dykstra's house in Season 3's "Lend Me An Ear", while the building where Delgado is put on trial is from this Season's "Death And The Lady" (as Milton Glantz's house). * The moody lighting and cinematic style of this episode, particularly the scenes in the doll room and the trial room, foreshadow the style of Season 5. * This episode borrows heavily from the 1931 Fritz Lang film "M.""The Cell Within", the 13th episode of the 5th season, premiered on NBC on Friday, March 10th, 1989 at 10PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* Crockett appears only briefly at the beginning of this episode, taking his son Billy fishing. This is due to the fact that this episode and the previous one ("Jack Of All Trades"), were filmed simultaneously because of the 1988 writer's strike. * This is considered one of the best episodes of the final Miami Vice season and is the last true "Tubbs episode", where the action focuses solely on Tubbs; although "Too Much, Too Late" also focuses on Tubbs and can technically be considered the final "Tubbs episode", it was not broadcast during the show's original run due to its then-controversial dealings with child molestation.* Jake Manning was in prison well before the time Tubbs arrived in Miami in 1984, meaning there is no way Tubbs could have busted him in Miami as a Metro-Dade Detective. It is possible Manning was busted when Tubbs was with the NYPD, then moved to Miami to plan his revenge, knowing Tubbs was there, although this also seems implausible as a convicted murderer would never be told the location of the officer who arrested him. Furthermore, Tubbs' employment with an undercover division of the police force would impart even tighter secrecy on his presence in Miami.

I know it has it's detractors, but I've always loved "Made For Each Other". Certainly one of the more lighthearted eps of the series, but very good. The Elvis soundtrack doesn't hurt, either.I guess I never noticed the quality of "The Fix" before, but I sure will next time I watch it!Once again, thank you for these threads, always love them!

I know it has it's detractors' date=' but I've always loved "Made For Each Other". Certainly one of the more lighthearted eps of the series, but very good. The Elvis soundtrack doesn't hurt, either.I guess I never noticed the quality of "The Fix" before, but I sure will next time I watch it!Once again, thank you for these threads, always love them![/quote']Thanks Lar, somehow I double posted this one. Maybe someone can delete the other posting.