Transition From S1-S5

zackcrocker

Just wanted to post here about the gradual change from s1 to s5. it was pretty dishearting to see and read about so many thing changeing for the start to finish. was not happy when i read that sonny wears a leather jacket and jeans aparntly in season 5! (which i havent seen yet) he should have kept the White Jacket! and the story lines changed DRAMATICALLY from light hearted fun to dark... i was pretty upset i must say! i was happy to see the Testirossa though in season 3, i had just started to get used to it then the daytona just randomly showed up for an episode, and as the season went on i started to miss it :( and then to top it off a major character gets off'd and his partner finds him, that was a sad episode i must say. but all in all im working my way through 4 now, so we'll see what happens! i should be watchin vice now! but i cant! i have to sleep, i just worked all night lol if i wasnt so tired i would, but dont worry tomorrow il catch up! anyway anyone else want to comment? feel free!

The show just moved with the times - the Season 3 look( early ) with the dark Navy suits and dark nite time shots are some of the best episodes - cinematography of the entire series. By Season 5 Sonny wore jeans and ripped tshirts a lot but it looked great . :D

and the story lines changed DRAMATICALLY from light hearted fun to dark... i was pretty upset i must say!

I would never describe MV as ever really being "lighthearted fun". The earlier seasons, particularly S2, were flashier, but with exceptions such as "Made For Each Other", it was always a pretty serious show. One look at the first 'regular' episode, "Heart Of Darkness" proves that. Even eps that have lighter moments (such as "Phil The Shill", "Out Where The Buses Don't Run", etc.) also have a darker, more dangerous edge.Yes, S5 had a more hopeless, despairing feel to it. It's much more unflinching in it's storylines. You can actually trace Crockett & Tubbs idealism thoughout the series. They start out hopeful, relatively optimistic, and progressively become more and more burnt out with the whole thing. You can see it in Sonny in particular. In that respect, S5 is like the flipside to S1. It really brings the series full circle.S5 tends to get a bad rap, but IMO many of the episodes are very strong, and the season overall is a return to form after the hit-or-miss S4. S5 may not have the 'classic' Vice look, but it still has it's own distinct style. As the old saying goes, "Don't knock it till you've tried it!".

the other thing is its abit more realistic to not have him wearing suits all the time, not unlike the pilot. where he only wore suits for the meetings with the drug dealers and the higher ups in the food chain, then it was a button up shirt over a T shirt for everything else.same thing with the D, we didnt even see her until the end of the pilot for the most part. Meaning he probably had some sort of a lower key ride he used for work.but S5 might be more a sign of things to come with Dick Wolf in the main seat considering the popularity of his law and order series and his nihilistic feeling shows, it just so happens with drugs and the damage they cause its abit closer to reality when you show how dark that kind of stuff can get.and the fact that no matter what you do with the kind of money they bring in and people just wanting to get high off of the stupidest stuff like bathsalts theres no real way to stop it it seems. outside of the extremes sadly. With the TR and the Daytona, I'm glad they had both for people to pick and choose what they loved, theres atleast one guy on here from ferrarichat who loved the TR in white and bought one for himself that we had come over here when someone tried to pull a fast one on them saying he had one of the two real trs used in the show at his used car lotand we've got a DEA agent with an actual daytona replica and a guy who owns the actual car and a bunch of other vettes including a 68 he's restoring on hereand to say the least the daytona blowing up scene.....

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dZl3yfGpc

so I'm glad vice changed so much over the years, gives everyone abit of variety to pick and choose what they liked about the show and to enjoy it in real life.plus I'd like to try and imitate the look he had here honestlyhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/screenshots/lineof12.jpghttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/screenshots/lineof04.jpgcasual, badass and yet classy all at the same time

I agree with you guys somewhat now that I'm seeing it from a diffrent set of eyes, like I said I'm only in seas on 4 and haven't seen any of season 5 yet, so my opinion may change, but I like the fact that you guys brought a diffrent light to it! Great feedback guys!

Season 5 was gritty and DJ played the burnt out cop well - it kind of mirrored DJ at that point as he was probrably fed up with Vice by Season 5 .:D

but S5 might be more a sign of things to come with Dick Wolf in the main seat considering the popularity of his law and order series and his nihilistic feeling shows' date=' it just so happens with drugs and the damage they cause its abit closer to reality when you show how dark that kind of stuff can get.[/quote']Yep, definitely. That last season of MV really pointed towards a lot of dramatic television in the 90's. Maybe it's just my "Vice Eyes", but I can see the influence on Law & Order. Not so much in the music or fashions, of course, but in the gritty, unflinching storylines. MV ushered in a new era of realism, and L&O continued that, even though the styles of both series are radically different. The "no real winners" attitude L&O often took is quite reminiscent of MV at it's bleakest. And since Dick Wolf was involved in both series, I can see L&O being some kind of spiritual succesor to MV, even if the connection is not immediately evident.But, then again, that just may be my "Vice Eyes". I tend to see the MV influence everywhere.

Vice was gritty in Season 5 - and two episodes "Hostile Takeover" & "Redemption" arer considered the best of the whole series .:D

• 1 year later...

I do like how every season has it's own unique look to it. In S3 pretty much everything changes, the colour pallet, crockett and tubb's clothes, the ray bans are gone, Testerossa replaces the Daytona. The story lines are a lot stronger.

The story lines towards the end of S2 where pretty thin so I'm glad they changed tack a little. It would have been very easy to just coast and repeat themselves but they didn't.

My problem with most of S4 and 5 is that DJ looks a little bored and it ruins my enjoyment somewhat. 

My problem with most of S4 and 5 is that DJ looks a little bored and it ruins my enjoyment somewhat. 

I wouldn't say DJ looked bored, I think personal he was burned out ( just like Crockett) - can't blame him really, the work schedule they were under would burn anyone out. I think he felt the show had run it course and the writing had declined. Plus he wanted to make movies and do more music projects.

Then there is Dick Wolf.. :p

I wouldn't say DJ looked bored, I think personal he was burned out ( just like Crockett) - can't blame him really, the work schedule they were under would burn anyone out. I think he felt the show had run it course and the writing had declined. Plus he wanted to make movies and do more music projects.

Then there is Dick Wolf.. :p

I guess it works if for the show if you think it's the character that's tired and burned out but Don still doesn't look very happy in some particular episodes like in Cows of october for example.

But to me fair I don't think anyone could stomach seeing your hit tv show turn into a quest for bull semen.