"Jack Of All Trades" Swingle Singers Material

ivoryjones

I know many just find simply a pain that vocal stuff from Swingle Singers in "Jack Of All Trades". Particularly I find it interesting and think it somehow fit well Jack Crockett's humorous and comically dishonest character (please don't shoot me:)).Well, I'm annoyed that the recordings from "Jazz Sebastian Bach" from Swingle Singers are not exactly what we hear in the ep. If someone give it a chance and listen more carefully, you'll notice that the four Bach tunes from this album sound a lot like what the ep shows. A lot, but not the same. The first piece, for instance, that is, the Two-Part invention, has a total different mix, in which the bass is a lot louder than in the Singers album.I wonder if The Swingle Singers ever re-recorded those 4 tracks besides "Jazz Sebastian Bach". The worse mix of the ep version compared to the album makes me think perhaps the producers used some live version in the ep.Is there any chance, also, that they used some kind of Swingle Singers cover in the episode?

• Administrators

If someone give it a chance and listen more carefully, you'll notice that the four Bach tunes from this album sound a lot like what the ep shows. A lot, but not the same. The first piece, for instance, that is, the Two-Part invention, has a total different mix, in which the bass is a lot louder than in the Singers album.I wonder if The Swingle Singers ever re-recorded those 4 tracks besides "Jazz Sebastian Bach". The worse mix of the ep version compared to the album makes me think perhaps the producers used some live version in the ep.Is there any chance, also, that they used some kind of Swingle Singers cover in the episode?

Now your really asking a lot here pal.The only way I can watch this ep. is on mute with the subtitles on.:)

I got it folks:)I wouldn't be too happy either about having their albums as Xmas gifts:). I do like it on Vice, but that's it.Just don't get it why they're particularly bashed... Are they too worse than other non 80's pop music like Bert Kaempfert and Hoagy Carmichael? I don't think any of these examples are bad, they're just out of Vice typical sound. They're exceptions somehow interesting to hardcore music driven fans of the series.My point here is not how much me or any other member is worried about The Swingle Singers, but setting the info about Miami Vice music straight. As far as I could see, the "Jazz Sebastian Bach" tracks information, widespread in Vice comunities, is just wrong: maybe the songs came from another Swingle Singers recording, or didn't come from them at all. Maybe another vocal group, who knows.

I have the album of the Swingle Singers doing Bach, since it first came out. It's good but a whole album can get too repititious.All music is enjoyable as long as it's music & not noise. :radio:

All music is enjoyable as long as it's music & not noise.
Tony - have you ever heard of Lou Reed's album from 1975 titled "Metal Machine Music"?I ask because this was both music and noise. Many people have stated that it was most definitely not enjoyable. I have never heard the album' date=' and I don't want to hear it now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Machine_Music

Guest The Talk
...Well' date=' I'm annoyed that the recordings from "Jazz Sebastian Bach" from Swingle Singers are not exactly what we hear in the ep. If someone give it a chance and listen more carefully, you'll notice that the four Bach tunes from this album sound a lot like what the ep shows. A lot, but not the same. The first piece, for instance, that is, the Two-Part invention, has a total different mix, in which the bass is a lot louder than in the Singers album.I wonder if The Swingle Singers ever re-recorded those 4 tracks besides "Jazz Sebastian Bach". The worse mix of the ep version compared to the album makes me think perhaps the producers used some live version in the ep.[/quote']I thought so, too when I did some music search for mv.info.But as I do not have these tracks on CD I only could listen to the few seconds that are played on amazon or lastfm (can't remenber where). So I was not quite sure if there was/is a difference. :confused:
Is there any chance' date=' also, that they used some kind of Swingle Singers cover in the episode?[/quote']Sorry, I do not have an answer to your questions.:cry:Maybe Tom 71 can help again? :radar:Where does your special knowledge (to be read in various threads) about music come from? Is it your hobby or does it come from kinda "daily work"?

Is there any chance' date=' also, that they used some kind of Swingle Singers cover in the episode?[/quote']How many cover songs were used in the series?I know in the pilot there was like "Girls just want to have fun", and in SCORE PT.1 Dolly Parton singing "Great Balls of Fire". There may be more. It's obviously from a different source.In Smuggler's Blues, when the bad guy is unmasked, you can hear Glen Frey singing a bit of the song with minimal musical instruments in the background (perhaps just a guitar). Perhaps they had him do that just for the episode being he was on the show (like having Phil Collins doing "Rat Race" based on one of his songs "The man with the horn" on a "B" side of a 45.) He intended to write a song for the episode, but it was reported that he didn't have enough time in his schedule to do it.)ivoryjones, this question you asked is a very good question for us VICE fans who are above the average, who are looking for answers to questions not asked before.I tip my Ray Bans to you for an original thread.

and noise. Many people have stated that it was most definitely not enjoyable. I have never heard the album" data-date=" and I don">

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Machine_Music

Hey R.R., It's hard to comment on something that you haven't heard, but I did read the comments from your link and it seems that there is no music ...but all noise. That's why I dislike most rap!

Thank you guys! I hope (and believe) we'll eventually get somewhere with this! Thanks for the comments C&B!!!If anyone would like to perform a quick test in order to see the versions are not the same I suggest comparing the scene in which Jack uses the rat mask (3rd cue, Fugue in D Minor from 'The Art of the Fugue) with the album version. Hear how the music ends in that scene and how it ends in the record. You can notice it's the exact same music, but it's a different performance/performer.There's even a clearer point, but it takes more work to find it. Compare 15'29'' of the ep (I used PowerDVD to check it, perhaps the time count my vary from set to set) with 0'28'' of the Swingle Singers recording of Bach's "Fugue No.5 in D Major from The Well-Tempered Clavier I" (I used Windows Media Player for that). Notice considering those points that the drums parts are completely different, the cymbals (only them, not the rest) on the record are played almost double speed than in the ep... If you don't have the recordings, in this case the Amazon.com preview can be helpfull, as it starts in a similar point (not the same) to 0'28''.I guess it could be a cover of SS or a re-recording by them. If it was a cover, the cover group had a hard work getting very close to the original. I wonder if it could be a live version by the Swingle Singers themselves, as the mixing seems to me a little bit raw in the ep, as the voices themselves seem to me more "let go" (actually, at 15'09'' of the ep, a female voice hits a note that is note original from Bach's, I don't know if it's a mistake or a arranger's choice). Months ago, when I first noticed the problem, I searched the Swingle Singers discography and I'm almost sure I ran into a live album in which they played Bach! Unfortunately, I could not find such album in my yesterday googling...Hey, The Talk, thanks for asking! Actually, I was a classically trained musician who was always a fanatic about 70's and 80's rock and pop music, as keyboards/synthesizers from this era (my mouth used to water whenever I saw a Moog or a Hammond with leslies). For about 10 years in my life I studied the piano from 6 to 12 hours a day and played Bach (I actually played 2 tunes from "Jack Of All Trades" in Bach's original setting), Beethoven, Liszt and others in small recitals. Always listened to them together with Rock and other pop stuff. I guess I got burn out of the classical discipline, at the end I realized it was no life to me, even though I was hooked on it (my thing was choosing difficult pieces and see if I was up to the challenge of playing them in public). Nowadays I work more as a musicologist, so I quit the long hours of sitting in the bench and am involved with teaching and researching music theory (analysis and harmony) in a University. Jan Hammer is one of my all time favorites, including his albums before Vice. By the way, I love Dadrian works!