WHAT IF: "Prodigal Son" soundtrack album

Viceman Cometh

We all know vicers love to argue and disagree with one another (unless it’s about the greatness of Coop, in which case there seems to be universal unanimity). A recent bump in the “Prodigal Son” DVD discussion made me watch the ep yet again, and since then I’ve been obsessed. When I looked over the lovingly compiled list in the glossary of all the songs that appeared in the episode, I realized it had the makings of a soundtrack album separate unto itself.I set about coming up with a tracklisting for the imaginary album that would hang together as a mixtape/setlist. That meant abandoning arranging them in the explicit order in which they appear in the episode. That will be heresy to many. Heck, I even considered dropping some songs entirely (Good Night Ladies, Glad, Pride and Tell it Like it Is in particular) but I ended up keeping all of them. So below is my lineup for the Prodigal Son soundtrack album. It is split between a fast side on side one and a slow side on side two. It seemed like the most logical way to do it, though I can’t say I’m entirely happy with it. It opens with “YBTTC,” since that would be the big single they would’ve been trying to push at the time. Both sides end with instrumentals, in a nod to the first Miami Vice soundtrack album. I choose to open Side Two with Bryan Ferry, because I felt it was strongest song on that side that had plot relevance and wasn’t “Take Me Home,” which I knew I wanted to be the last vocal number on the side (if I hadn’t settled on a fast side/slow side, I would’ve opened Side Two with “White Stuff.”) Next I clustered together several Tubbs and Valerie songs (including, ahem, Jan’s “Tubbs and Valerie”).Side 1• You Belong To The City by Glenn Frey • The Pleasure Seekers by The System • Caribbean Queen by Billy Ocean • Pride (In The Name Of Love) by U2 • Do You Believe In Love by Huey Lewis and The News • White Stuff by Fashion• Glad by Traffic • ColombiaSide Two• Windswept by Bryan Ferry • Many Rivers To Cross by Joe Cocker • Tell It Like It Is by Aaron Neville • Tubbs and Valerie• Goodbye Girl by Go West • Rubber Miro by Liquid Liquid • Good Night Ladies by Lou Reed • Take Me Home by Phil Collins• New York Theme

Hey that's a pretty cool idea. When I'm not busy i'm gonna have to listen to those in that order and test it.How about making a topic so we can create our own Miami vice soundtrack from any music on the show?