Overall Review & Rating--Season 4

ViceFanMan

39 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Also although his NYPD bosses were aware of his bad actions I think they would have thought his intentions were good, avenging his brothers murder. I think this stopped him from going to a hearing. 

I don’t think they’d care about his intentions at all. He would have made a great sacrificial rogue cop to cover their own misdeeds. Unless it played out like I suspect it did. IA doesn’t care about intentions. 

18 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I don’t think they’d care about his intentions at all. He would have made a great sacrificial rogue cop to cover their own misdeeds. Unless it played out like I suspect it did. IA doesn’t care about intentions. 

Still they threatening him with misconduct.

I wonder was IA what it was back than as it is today? we don't even know if they investigated him, just seems like his lieutenant threatened him with a hearing that didn't happen.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Still they threatening him with misconduct.

I wonder was IA what it was back than as it is today? we don't even know if they investigated him, just seems like his lieutenant threatened him with a hearing that didn't happen.

Exactly...I think that’s what Lou meant, by he was “threatened” with a misconduct charge. But I think once they knew he was leaving, not only the city but the state, they were not really wanting or caring to push the issue...trying to keep him around to use as a proverbial sacrificial lamb, might bring more attention to their corruption and other illegal activities. In their minds—let Miami have & deal with him.

Edited by ViceFanMan

IA wasn’t that much different in the ‘80s. The nickname the rat squad is quite old. That and Rico’s little stunt would have made prosecution of Calderone very difficult. Likely good for them he jumped bail. The fallout would likely have landed the entire unit on the beach. 

Tubb's action's weren't by the book but what he did came out in a positive way and I think they knew it. 

He exposed Calderone in a big way and I think Lou told the NYPD that, and if it wasn't for him coming to Miami and partnering up with Sonny I don't think they would have exposed Wheeler.

26 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Tubb's action's weren't by the book but what he did came out in a positive way and I think they knew it. 

He exposed Calderone in a big way and I think Lou told the NYPD that, and if it wasn't for him coming to Miami and partnering up with Sonny I don't think they would have exposed Wheeler.

It doesn’t matter. The whole case would have been tossed because he had no legitimate official standing. Even a third-rate public defender could have gotten it tossed. 

Like I said they did threaten him with misconduct.

They probably came to a mutual understanding. You are telling me no one bends the rules in police departments? you see it all the time on other cop and forensic shows.

Edited by RedDragon86
Wording
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Like I said they did threaten him with misconduct.

They probably came to a manual understanding. You are telling me no one bends the rules in police departments? you see it all the time on other cop and forensic shows.

You see it in real life. ;) Once NY wasn’t going to charge Tubbs with anything, they could move forward with the case against Calderone. 

7 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

So you’ll accept this but go nuts about the Burnett arc? Or Caitlin? Or Sonny leaving his car that isn’t his car in an alley? Just bring me a jar of peanut butter. 

In real life cops & priests seem to sometimes do some pretty crazy or even bad/illegal things...yet they still get transferred somewhere else & still have a job. So, as for the Pilot & Tubbs...yup, all the reasons it could’ve have happened have been explained (here & in the Pilot itself). :baby: It technically was possible.

However, the “Burnett-saga” went WAY beyond any of that!! Any cop (or priest for that matter ;)) that did what Crockett did in that would not only be dismissed from the force but most likely be in an institution of some kind—with the brain damage from the boat explosion and supposed subsequent split-personality. None of that was possible or plausible.

The “Caitlin-saga”, was just plain ridiculous and over-the-top for even MV. Plus, it was forced & faky, and you could tell. 

As for peanut butter...I think you’ve already had too much, lol! :p 

(P.S. Confused emoji=too much peanut butter! :))

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sorry...I think you ate all the peanut butter well before anyone else got there. Technically, I suppose it might be possible to engage in rational conversation....but it's not plausible.  

16 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Sorry...I think you ate all the peanut butter well before anyone else got there. Technically, I suppose it might be possible to engage in rational conversation....but it's not plausible.  

Lol!!! :) Sorry, I don’t really like peanut butter much...I’ll let you have it. :p

There probably technically is nothing “rational” nor completely realistic in the world of television drama. But, what was not believable, possible, or plausible regarding Season 4 has been stated & why by the majority of fans/viewers...it is what it is. :funky:

(Side-Note: Confused emoji=too many Lou DeLong records while eating “spiked” peanut butter! :p)

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Lol!!! :) Sorry, I don’t really like peanut butter much...I’ll let you have it. :p

There probably technically is nothing “rational” nor completely realistic in the world of television drama. But, what was not believable, possible, or plausible regarding Season 4 has been stated & why by the majority of fans/viewers...it is what it is. :funky:

Heh heh.  There seem to be some people on this forum with more reputation points than posts who don't know how to relax and float with the little dreams a TV show brings. ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Heh heh.  There seem to be some people on this forum with more reputation points than posts who don't know how to relax and float with the little dreams a TV show brings. ;)

We don't all relax and float the same way, or have the same little dreams about TV shows. Which some people with more posts than reputation points seem to have a hard time handling. Vice is subject to many different interpretations. Some are attracted by the bright colors and loud noises, while others are drawn to the characters and still others plots that may not age well but were both cutting edge and quietly subversive at the same time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

We don't all relax and float the same way, or have the same little dreams about TV shows. Which some people with more posts than reputation points seem to have a hard time handling. Vice is subject to many different interpretations. Some are attracted by the bright colors and loud noises, while others are drawn to the characters and still others plots that may not age well but were both cutting edge and quietly subversive at the same time.

Ah, lighten up.  I was just teasing.  And "quietly subversive." Yeah. Does that mean the typical Hollywood anti-Americanism/pro-Communism?

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Yup...exactly. It’s fun discussing, digressing, even sometimes debating plots, episodes, seasons, characters, even music or the visuals. Everyone has their opinions, but some will try and use insults, bullying, or rudeness when they can’t handle not being agreed with or if another point of view is stated and/or proven. Some also seem to like to “purposely” disagree with the majority...but it never works with me. I just laugh! :) 

I state what is in the episodes/seasons, as well as my opinions. But I will stand by what I post...which is mostly based on what is, or is not, shown in the episodes.

Season 4 is one of those strange seasons that lots of people have different opinions on. I just happen to mostly agree with the majority regarding this season. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

We all see things differently and sometimes experiences in your own life will prompt different reactions to character's actions or plot lines. As a former firefighter I often criticize what I see on TV shows about fire departments. That doesn't mean I can't still enjoy the show. 

Vice was a truly unique cop show and the way they sometimes dealt with certain situations was also unique. I try not to be too critical because , my God people, it's just a TV show!  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Vice was a truly unique cop show and the way they sometimes dealt with certain situations was also unique. I try not to be too critical because , my God people, it's just a TV show!  

Agreed...and a TV show from the 80s. ;) Shows back then were more about entertainment & “escape” than reality. :thumbsup: I miss those days! 

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Agreed...and a TV show from the 80s. ;) Shows back then were more about entertainment & “escape” than reality. :thumbsup: I miss those days! 

Amen brother!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

This is an updated review of the season: 

I know there were some changes with Season 4...the plotlines or episodes seemed to take on a "darker" feel to them, but not in fashion. It seemed the pastels were back with the clothes, compared to season 3, and that was awesome! :thumbsup: I also liked it that Crockett's Wayfarers were back...however, this time black instead of tortoise shell. :cool: 

But, the "tone" of the show and the characters seemed to enter a darker, more depressing, and even sometimes an almost “pointless” place than previous seasons. Some of the worst episodes/plots were in this season as well, and those aspects kind of saddened me and I didn't particularly care for them. I wanted the show to be amazing again so badly...but I could see it slipping even further down the proverbial fall-from-grace slope. ;(

But, there were still some very good episodes, too, and I think Season 4 is still enjoyable! Despite the sometimes "darker" feel, there was still plenty of action and wild, bizarre episodes to keep you captivated.

However, despite some changes the acting, for the most part, was still superb. A lot of the music used was also still phenomenal :radio:, and I of course still loved Jan Hammer's themes used throughout (although this would be his last season). The fashion was still interesting and fun to look at, as well. :glossy:

Overall, not the best season for sure...but for the serious or diehard fan, there were still some enjoyable and interesting aspects to take-in. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I don't have much time for this season.

The season where Dick Wolf ruined the show.

Yeah you can hand pick episodes here and there but I watch a season for it consistency, it has no direction. Sitting in my living room saying "nah skip that" "or and that on as well" "what's that Cows of October?" "fast forward to that episode". It's a mess.

I give it a 4 out of 10 basically for episodes like Childs Play, Baseballs, Rising Sun and Mirror Image.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I don't have much time for this season.

The season where Dick Wolf ruined the show.

Yeah you can hand pick episodes here and there but I watch a season for it consistency, it has no direction. Sitting in my living room saying "nah skip that" "or and that on as well" "what's that Cows of October?" "fast forward to that episode". It's a mess.

I give it a 4 out of 10 basically for episodes like Childs Play, Baseballs, Rising Sun and Mirror Image.

I guess I can always make time for the few episodes that are still really good, even if the season as a whole is not as good. Dick Wolf and the writers definitely did not help the show, especially with this season...but the down-slide slowly had sadly started even during Season 3. 

As for consistency...well, as much as I love MV, in all honesty the show struggled with consistency from season to season—even before Dick Wolf took over. ;) Along with the visuals, if producers & writers had put more effort into character depth, plot/episode depth, and consistency with those, I think the show would have definitely lasted longer.

”Child’s Play” and “Baseballs” were a couple good episodes in Season 4...however, I don’t care as much for “Rising Sun” or “Mirror Image”—the latter ending the season with a “sour” taste in everyone’s mouths & dismal ratings. 

25 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I guess I can always make time for the few episodes that are still really good, even if the season as a whole is not as good. Dick Wolf and the writers definitely did not help the show, especially with this season...but the down-slide slowly had sadly started even during Season 3. 

As for consistency...well, as much as I love MV, in all honesty the show struggled with consistency from season to season—even before Dick Wolf took over. ;) Along with the visuals, if producers & writers had put more effort into character depth, plot/episode depth, and consistency with those, I think the show would have definitely lasted longer.

”Child’s Play” and “Baseballs” were a couple good episodes in Season 4...however, I don’t care as much for “Rising Sun” or “Mirror Image”—the latter ending the season with a “sour” taste in everyone’s mouths & dismal ratings. 

The thing about it is when you watch seasons 1 to 3 you can consistently view each episode without getting bored or even embarrassed, while that's how I feel about the 4th season, when I view episode after episode. 

The first 3 seasons clearly had a vision and serious tone but s4 was a muddled up mess. It is so unusual you would have thought Donald P. Bellisario took over.

Ideally it would have been great if NBC approached Brian De Palma to see if he wanted to become EP for season 4. I wished they had somebody who understood the show after Mann, maybe even Nicollela could have took over. Wolf was so bad Don had him fired.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1