season 6 vice-who would you have replace don???

DA_PAUL2

Totally hypothetical here-say the ratings were great on season 5 and it got renewed with all the cast staying on except Don.Who would be your choice?While i appreciate Don was the star i loved pmt and ejo just as much and think the 4 supporting actors were great also-so i would still watch the show.I dont have an idea myslef who could have came in as Tubb's partner?They wouldn't have a black man fronting a show like that back in the early 90's as sad as that is(and i think pmt was more than capable)so if they had to bring in someone who is your pick?I remember hearing they were going to replace hime in season 3 with the guy from ncis?I would have hated that!I would have like more eps with Castillo going back undercover too.Look forward to your thoughts.

• Administrators

Who would be your choice?

No one!Generally, I don't like movies/series that are continued under the same name with different actors.And not only the films I don't like it in the music business as well. Guns N' Roses without Slash und Duff isn't Guns N' Roses for me. Or Queen without Freddie Mercury... no go. Best example was the tribute to Freddie with different -some very good- musicians (like Elton John, George Michal, Roger Daltrey, Liza Minelli, Axl Rose, James Hetfield...). The show and the songs were good, some very good, but it wasn't Queen at all and it was obvious that no one could ever replace Freddie. Although I like all the groups and musicians who participated at the tribute concert.Same would be with Miami Vice. The series without the original cast... wouldn't be Miami Vice at all (at least for me).

Well i agree with you i cant think of an example where a tv show has replaced an actor and it has been better-I take your point miami vice without the original cast isnt the same it's just a totally hypothetical question for fun-Don wanted to leave anyway-For me personally i could have lived with that-im going for a younger actor like emillio estevez who Tubbs has to take under his wing!Maybe even kill him off at the end and go with someone new for season 7 lol.

Paul, I think this is a great question! While "Don can't be replaced" is to be expected, and the reality is no actor would have been accepted in such a role -- it is a fun thing for Vice fans to ruminate on 30 years after the fact. I think a guy like William Russ would've brought something different to the lead detective role. He's capable of the familiar gravitas, but has more of a gallows humor than Crockett's world-weariness. And I think they could have gotten away with having him be a non-Evan character (since Evan was way back in S1 and this was the age before DVDs).David Strathairn, who played Hank's former partner in "Buses," would've been an interesting choice, too. He's a capital-A actor who would've excelled at slow-boil menace and brooding.I'll add others as I think of them.

The real question is, Do you think Don would have been so eager to leave the series, if season 4 wasn't so horrible? I think he got disillusioned around that time, In interviews he describes it as a lost opportunity.Say the show was still in the top 20 of the year? I think he would have stayed another season or 2.

The real question is' date=' Do you think Don would have been so eager to leave the series, if season 4 wasn't so horrible? I think he got disillusioned around that time, In interviews he describes it as a lost opportunity.Say the show was still in the top 20 of the year? I think he would have stayed another season or 2.[/quote']Nope. DJ and PMT both signed standard five-year contracts and Don, a journeyman actor who'd been waiting nearly two decades for his big break, was going to roll the dice on a movie career. Nothing would've kept him around.

Alright good point, so..what If Marty Mcfly took Don in his delorean and showed him his career in 10 years.He sees that his highlights after vice are such classics as harley davidson and the malboro man and tv movies, guilty as sin & paradise?Mcfly takes him back to '89, you think he would stay on vice or quit?:)I give credit to PMT he knew he was extremely lucky to get that one part. Maybe It went a bit to his head with the EGOT thing.

Paul' date=' I think this is a great question! While "Don can't be replaced" is to be expected, and the reality is no actor would have been accepted in such a role -- it is a fun thing for Vice fans to ruminate on 30 years after the fact. I think a guy like William Russ would've brought something different to the lead detective role. He's capable of the familiar gravitas, but has more of a gallows humor than Crockett's world-weariness.[/quote']I can see him doing well in the role-good choice!For others saying about Don leaving-i was surprised at a you tube interview i seen for the 100th episode and they were asked about it being the last season-Don was saying he felt the series had never really reached it's full potential for a variety of reasons and that it was up to the viewing public if season 5 was to be the very last season,was he just being diplomatic or would he really have stayed on if ratings had been regained?Btw loved the marty mc fly scenario!!!Great responses guys!

No one!Generally' date=' I don't like movies/series that are continued under the same name with different actors.And not only the films I don't like it in the music business as well. Guns N' Roses without Slash und Duff isn't Guns N' Roses for me. Or Queen without Freddie Mercury... no go. Best example was the tribute to Freddie with different -some very good- musicians (like Elton John, George Michal, Roger Daltrey, Liza Minelli, Axl Rose, James Hetfield...). The show and the songs were good, some very good, but it wasn't Queen at all and it was obvious that no one could ever replace Freddie. Although I like all the groups and musicians who participated at the tribute concert.Same would be with Miami Vice. The series without the original cast... wouldn't be Miami Vice at all (at least for me).[/quote']Hear, hear

Looks like a great, original (ORIGINAL! what a concept!) thread is being shut down by a bunch of close-minded alpha-hotels. We get it, Don is irreplaceable. Now go away and let the grownups talk.

Well i agree with you i cant think of an example where a tv show has replaced an actor and it has been better

British (actually, Scottish) crime drama Taggart suffered for a while after it's lead actor Mark McManus died, but eventually Alex Norton took over and was absolutely brilliant.So it's certainly possible to carry on a series effectively after it's lead actor is replaced.

British (actually' date=' Scottish) crime drama Taggart suffered for a while after it's lead actor Mark McManus died, but eventually Alex Norton took over and was absolutely brilliant.So it's certainly possible to carry on a series effectively after it's lead actor is replaced.[/quote']And it continued for many years after Mark died - they even kept his character's surname (Taggart) as the series name. It was a brilliant show with the city of Glasgow being a major "character".I agree with Viceman too ,that Ted Danson has turned around CSI & it is better than it's been for ages. Look how Vice changed when EJO came in as Castillo. For me, Vice took off after that.Although I liked the character of Sonny Crockett & would like to think a new lead character would have given the series a new lease of life, with the co-stars getting more air-time, personally I don't know which direction the series could go after Season 5 even if they hadn't ended it with the finale of Freefall. The characters seemed to have gone as far as they could (especially in their private lives) and the stories may have just become weaker ...?

The thing you are talking about have tried on Airwolf. But you have seen when Jan Michael Vincent gone from the show what happened to it! That's why you better shut down this thread pal!

The thing you are talking about have tried on Airwolf. But you have seen when Jan Michael Vincent gone from the show what happened to it! That's why you better shut down this thread pal!

Good point:thumbsdown:

If there was a S6 I suppose the new kids in S5 could maybe pull it off as the young MVI would not watch it but it is feasible that a spinnoff could have erupted. I think they were thinking that when they cast the young dude a second time to team up with the "Mod Squad"It's all been done before ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!

That was the whole point of Leap of Faith, wasn't it? It was a pilot for a new spin-off show that never got picked up.

That was the whole point of Leap of Faith' date=' wasn't it? It was a pilot for a new spin-off show that never got picked up.[/quote']I agree perhaps Justin Lazard will have something like new Sonny Crockett and the others will have the new vice squad with some new members but I'm glad it never had been happened. It'll bad to Vice trademark.

LOL!! airwolf was a one man show-thats not really a fair comparison.Vice had a tremendous supporting cast to me-When i watch it i see Tubbs and Castillio as equals to Crockett.Initially i thought viceman cometh was maybe a little rude with his comment but the narrow minded view of "Don was irreplaceable" or continued negative comments after i specifically replied to the first one saying "it was hypothetical for fun"-i think he was right.Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this is a thread for specific suggestions of a character replacement-coming on and saying"no one" etc is adding nothing to the thread-i completely understand those opinions and respect them but there is no point posting that view here after caipi initially expressed it.To Viceman Cometh i salute you brother!(btw i haven't seen csi with Ted Danson but ill give it a watch thanks to your recommendation).

No one!Generally' date=' I don't like movies/series that are continued under the same name with different actors.And not only the films I don't like it in the music business as well. Guns N' Roses without Slash und Duff isn't Guns N' Roses for me. Or Queen without Freddie Mercury... no go. Best example was the tribute to Freddie with different -some very good- musicians (like Elton John, George Michal, Roger Daltrey, Liza Minelli, Axl Rose, James Hetfield...). The show and the songs were good, some very good, but it wasn't Queen at all and it was obvious that no one could ever replace Freddie. Although I like all the groups and musicians who participated at the tribute concert.Same would be with Miami Vice. The series without the original cast... wouldn't be Miami Vice at all (at least for me).[/quote']LOL......I agree totally about the music business. Rod Stewart with his rough, raspy voice is no Frank Sinatra , because he has a beautiful orchestra playing behind him!! :radio::eek: