when did the 80s era end?

Victor

I wouldn't refer to Vice only, though. A lot of stuff happened coincidentally, apart from Vice. I just think in a lot of ways, the time roughly from 85 to early 87 was "pure" 80s. Before that, remnants of the late 70s were prevalent, and after that you got a glimpse of what was about to come in the 90s. Strangely enough, Miami Vice reflected that, too, at least in some aspects. Don's haircut during season one is what I perceive as an aftermath of the 70s, although slighty adjusted to 80s tastes. Season two still is often perceived the epitome of Vice and 80s-style, and during the last seasons they often went further than people could fathom, but retrospectively the whole vibe of the show, at least imho, truly was a glimpse into the 90s.

I'd say the '80's ended sometime in 1994. Where I live, even as late as '94, there were still some girls with big hair and a hint of the '80's style still appeared on TV and in the movies. It seems once 1995 rolled around anything what represented the '80's was completely gone. Season 2 and 3 of Miami Vice seem to represent the '80's the most. Don Johnson's hair cut in season 3 is just about the ultimate style for men in the '80's.

I'd say 89 after vice left the air..People stopped wanting to be crockett and more like kurt cobain hippy stuff with the long hair