Something cool on the Today Show today

BlueAir

I was half asleep with the Today Show on until I heard the words Duran Duran.The anchors were talking about their poster crushes and Savannah Guthrie said that hers was John Taylor and they showed a short clip of the video to Rio.I'm a huge fan of the band and to hear this all of a sudden in the morning was cool!Al Roker's poster crush was Pam Grier and they showed a clip of her in Foxy Brown.Later they showed a family that turned the clock back to 1986 lifestyle wise.They did it all because their sons kept asking to use the ipad instead of going outside.They use a vintage VHS player and watch nothing but '80s films and TV.They use '80s home arcade games like the original Mario game,wire telephones,clothes,electronics,decor,ect.Plus,to keep the '80s vibe,guest have to leave their cells and iphones in a box when they walk in.I was surprised that the show briefly played the Fixx's "One Thing Leads to Another" in the background.All in all it was all pretty interesting show to me '80s wise:thumbsup:

That sounds interesting. Too bad I missed it. That would have brought back a lot of memories!I like the idea of leaving the iphones at the door - WHAT A CONCEPT!We just added a new word to out vocabulary recently with the word "PHUBBING" If you are with someone in a social thing such as dinner for example and he/she is constantly texting while you are trying to converse, the person who is rude texting is said to be "PHUBBING"I hate cellphones.............................................

I was half asleep with the Today Show on until I heard the words Duran Duran.The anchors were talking about their poster crushes and Savannah Guthrie said that hers was John Taylor and they showed a short clip of the video to Rio.I'm a huge fan of the band and to hear this all of a sudden in the morning was cool!Al Roker's poster crush was Pam Grier and they showed a clip of her in Foxy Brown.Later they showed a family that turned the clock back to 1986 lifestyle wise.They did it all because their sons kept asking to use the ipad instead of going outside.They use a vintage VHS player and watch nothing but '80s films and TV.They use '80s home arcade games like the original Mario game' date='wire telephones,clothes,electronics,decor,ect.Plus,to keep the '80s vibe,guest have to leave their cells and iphones in a box when they walk in.I was surprised that the show briefly played the Fixx's "One Thing Leads to Another" in the background.All in all it was all pretty interesting show to me '80s wise:thumbsup:[/quote']Really great to know

That funny Pahonu! hahahahahahahahahahahahaNever hear that one before!Speaking of Duran Duran, I just hear an Awesome documentary with Taylor on CBC's "Q" and it talks about how he got burnt out and the depression and drug use of a superstar. It's actually quite interesting!It s funny that you always hear about excessive drug use by sixties heroes like the Stones, or Hendrix, Joplin etc but this was the 80'sPuts perspective on the excesses of the 80's and superstardom.

The 80's are considered Very Cool right now! I wish Miami Vice would be shown on regular cable network station. But I guess not because of the cost of the music in the episodes.

yeh you got that right!!!We were lucky to get the tunes on the dvd and I am grateful for that.I mentioned before in another thread here somewhere that we had the series WKRP on our Canadian Comedy network some time ago. They played all the original tracks like when Johnny Fever Played Pink Floyd or Foreigner, Bob Segar etc. When I visited Detroit one weekend WKRP was on an American station and all the music was dubbed with sound-alike crap???I suppose they didn't want to pay the royalties?I'm not against an artist being paid for their work but the large record companies have taken liberties and asked far too much for their music which sadly they own the rights to and not the artists.Many artists who luckily still own their music are very careful on how they use it. I am surprised that in "The Great McCarthy" Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild" was used as John Kay is very particular where his music is used and rarely gives rights to it. I believe the only other movie was Easy Rider but I might be mistaken. I heard a radio interview with him and he mentioned he doesn't like to commercialize his music.A couple of years ago I was dumbfounded when I saw a Cadillac commercial using Led Zeppelin' "Rock and Roll"So sad............................................... ....I believe some things are sacrilegious.It would kill me to see a candy bar commercial with a Beatles tune.............. :(

.Later they showed a family that turned the clock back to 1986 lifestyle wise.They did it all because their sons kept asking to use the ipad instead of going outside.They use a vintage VHS player and watch nothing but '80s films and TV.They use '80s home arcade games like the original Mario game' date='wire telephones,clothes,electronics,decor,ect.Plus,to keep the '80s vibe,guest have to leave their cells and iphones in a box when they walk in.I was surprised that the show briefly played the Fixx's "One Thing Leads to Another" in the background.[/quote']THEY DO THAT TO?AT LAST I'M NOT ALONE!!!:)

The 80's are considered Very Cool right now! I wish Miami Vice would be shown on regular cable network station. But I guess not because of the cost of the music in the episodes.

They show reruns of so many old shows. If Miami Vice was shown regularly, maybe the younger people would enjoy the great story lines &humor of the show. It may be a little dated ( no cell phones, etc.) but the drama is very powerful.Same with Nash Bridges.......much better than the current cop shows. SPIKE should broadcast these shows since it is a man's TV channel!

Centric doesn't even show Miami Vice anymore.It was last month since they shown it,the last episode being the first part to "Freefall".Vice is still a very cool show and still taking new fans,it just needs some good air time and a good network to be programed on.