This Week In Miami Vice History...

mvnyc

November 11th - 17th:"The Great McCarthy", the 8th episode of the 1st season, premiered on NBC on Friday, November 16th, 1984 at 10PM EST. Some notes about this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* The Barnett Bank building that Izzy robbed in the opening is now owned by Bank of America.* The famous boat race scene would not be the last time Don Johnson raced powerboats. He raced in the late 80s APBA powerboat championship in a Wellcraft SCARAB, the same boat Sonny Crockett piloted in seasons 2-5.* The aforementioned scene is also one of the very few times the color red appears on the show; red was one of the colors Michael Mann 'banned' from use on the production of the series, but owing to the fact the extra boats taking part in the race were simply owned and crewed by members of the public, the production team had to relent on this occasion and allow the red speedboat to take part."Tale Of The Goat", the 7th episode of the 2nd season, premiered on NBC on Friday, November 15th, 1985 at 10PM EST. Some notes about this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* This was the only episode that delved into the world of voodoo.* Little Coco's character, Baron Samedi, was named for the actual voodoo god of the same name.* The theory of Tetrodotoxin causing a period of "zombieism" was written by ethnobotanist Wade Davis in 1983 and in his 1985 book "The Serpent and the Rainbow", but was debunked by the scientific community later in the 1980s, claiming the symptoms of voodoo zombies did not match the ones created by the poison and no substantiation of zombies created this way existed.* When Legba and his thugs walk into the arcade, there is a man playing the video game "Centipede" right outside the door. Although his hands are moving the trackball and pushing the fire button, he is not actually playing, as the score list is up on the screen the whole time he is "playing" and can be seen quite clearly when the thugs walk past.* Tubbs is shown reloading his 5-shot revolver during the climactic gunfight -- arguably the only time in the entire series that he does so."Better Living Through Chemistry", the 8th episode of the 3rd season premiered on NBC on Friday, November 14th, 1986 at 9PM EST. Some notes about this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* Gina & Trudy do not appear in this episode.* "Born To Be Wild" is the first "third party" song to be used in more than one episode of Vice; it was previously featured in "The Great McCarthy."* A flashback scene was filmed showing the shooting incident that led to the split between Tubbs and Batisse in New York, but was cut from the final episode without explanation."Missing Hours", the 7th episode of the 4th season premiered on NBC on Friday, November 13th, 1987 at 9PM EST. Some notes about this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* Starting with this episode, John Petersen joins Jan Hammer for music credit in most of the remaining fourth season episodes.* This marks the final appearance of Charlie Barnett as Noogie Lamont (the Noogman). This is also the only appearance of the character since the second season's "Trust Fund Pirates".* Carson mentions "computer bulletin boards", which was the precursor to the internet chat rooms of today."Heart Of Night", the 3rd episode of the 5th season, premiered on NBC on Friday, November 18th, 1988 at 10PM EST. Some notes about this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):* This episode was the first shot for the fifth season, but was aired third due to the resolution of the Sonny Burnett Arc.* May Ying and Ma Sek previously appeared in "Golden Triangle (Part II)", although they were played by Joan Chen and Glenn Kubota respectively, making this the only time recurring characters on Miami Vice were played by different actors between appearances. James Saito, who replaces Kubota as Ma Sek, was also in "Golden Triangle (Part II)" as Howie Wong.* Because of Crockett's recovering from his trauma, he only appears for about two minutes in the episode.* The originally scripted ending called for Castillo and May Ying parting ways during the day with Castillo leaving first. This was changed to the broadcast ending.

"The Great McCarthy" - Some good classic Vice. It actually took me a few years to warm up to it, but I really enjoy this episode nowadays (as I do all of S1). The billiards scene with Lindsey Buckingham's "Go Insane" is a personal favorite, though it's never really mentioned when the greater musical moments of the show are discussed (not that it really should be; it's not like "Voices" Part II or anything)."Tale Of The Goat" - Not a favorite. Not necessarily a bad episode, but not one I'm in a hurry to revisit anytime soon, either. Is it just me or is the ending too abrupt? "You're safe now"END."Better Living Through Chemistry" - I remembered this one as middling, but on a recent viewing, I enjoyed it much more than I have in the past. Interesting that "Born To Be Wild" was used in both this episode and "The Great McCarthy," almost exactly two years apart."Missing Hours" - Forgive me for being crass, but this episode can go straight to hell. IMO easily the worst episode of the entire series, and the only one I straight-up refuse to watch. What a waste of James Brown and Chris Rock, and a sad send-off for Charlie Barnett's Noogie (who was pretty much forgotten by this point in the series, anyway)."Heart of Night" - Another grower, but I like it. Anytime we get some Castillo backstory is fine by me.

too abrupt? "You're safe now"END."Better Living Through Chemistry" - I remembered this one as middling, but on a recent viewing, I enjoyed it much more than I have in the past. Interesting that "Born To Be Wild" was used in both this episode and "The Great McCarthy," almost exactly two years apart."Missing Hours" - Forgive me for being crass, but this episode can go straight to hell. IMO easily the worst episode of the entire series, and the only one I straight-up refuse to watch. What a waste of James Brown and Chris Rock, and a sad send-off for Charlie Barnett's Noogie (who was pretty much forgotten by this point in the series, anyway)."Heart of Night" - Another grower, but I like it. Anytime we get some Castillo backstory is fine by me.

Agreed 100%, Never thought "The Great McCarthy" was anything special, ditto for "Tale Of The Goat" and "Better Living Through Chemistry", what can be said about "Missing Hours", it totally missed the mark and "Heart of Night" was good, but not one of my favorite Castillo episodes...

"Tale of the Goat" had some elements of "Whatever Works " in the episode :dance2::)

Yep, sure did. I always think of those two together, even though they're really not related beyond the whole kinda supernatural thing. I'm not a big fan of either episode, though 'Whatever Works" does feature The Blasters' "Dark Night," always a plus.

Last year I watched "Missing Hours" for the first time just to see how horrible it is.The teaser started off odd,Izzy and Noogy playing a sci-fi battle.When that guy started freaking out is what began my "Oh boy" and knew this was going to be a long terrible episode.I kept switching channels and I happened to watch the "face-transforming" scene and that was it for me!My take on the episode would of been a bunch of guys in alien suits and blasting light shows to scare off drug deals and stealing the goods.That would of been a better episode for me in my opinion!

Crunchy peanut butter sounds a bit gross too:DI like "Tale of the Goat" as Legba is such a unique and funny enemy.Didn't like "Heart of Night" because its a bit slow for me and the sexual assualt bits makes it a skip-able episode to me.

Crunchy peanut butter sounds a bit gross too:DI like "Tale of the Goat" as Legba is such a unique and funny enemy.Didn't like "Heart of Night" because its a bit slow for me and the sexual assualt bits makes it a skip-able episode to me.

I found "Heart of Night" quite disturbing and violent - but loved "Tale of the Goat" :D

REH-MOOOOOOVE THE BARRIER!!!:DI love the episode too but didn't get the "He had his back turned on me the whole time" quote.I didn't see how that made him think that Marie was still alive.I must be missing something:pI loved "Whatever Works" as it is such a cool and stylish episode.The Power Station scene with John Taylor and the fight was pretty cool as well!:thumbsup: