Awful - what's happening to Miami ( and Crockett's Season 1 and 2 Marina too !)

Matt5

Well ... Miami is not the only one immune.My beloved Marina is staying the same however the one next to me about five miles away is one of my favourite hangouts as well as being one of the best beaches on the entire lake! They are building high rise condos there and tore down a beautiful heritage building this summer(I'm pissed, I went there often when it was a restaurant)Across the lake there is another Marina that had a new condos built and the snobs there forced the city council to privatize the beach area. I have a terrible feeling that is going to happen to our favourite hangout as well. The council says they won't do this but they are already talking about paid parking and moving the carousel that has been there for almost a century!The Band "RUSH" even wrote a song about this place as it is very famous, and the song is called "Lakeside Park" People from all around the lake and the U.S come here by boat for day trips and overnight at the marina. These damn glass and concrete condos are ruining almost any point on the lake that is accessible by an average family! Right now there is still free parking, you can ride the carousel for a knickel, and the beach is groomed sand and very well taken care of by the city. I can see the writing on the wall that this place too will sadly wind down, as tourism will disintegrate and the average family will not have access to the waterfront.I remember a few years ago I was in Florida and was driving along the waterfront for over an hour trying to find access to the beach as it was a very hot day and I have never swam in the ocean before. I must have driven 30 miles and I could not find a single spot to pull up and park. All the waterfront property was "PRIVATE" and also lots of "no trespassing" signs and I am very familiar with Florida gun laws :(I never swam that day and just carried on with my business in Florida for the day.

Sorry to hear that about your hangout and the other areas Stringer. Ya, overbuilding and lack of respect for history is a universal problem. The problem seems worse in Miami, rated recently as the fastest changing city in America, after Las Vegas. Great Vice sites and other locations are being lost almost every day. If you were in downtown Miami, you were about 30 min away from Lummus Park beach on South Beach and about an hour away from Crandon Park Beach on Key Biscayne (during light traffic periods).

I know what you mean. I was in Miami two years ago and I stopped to make a delivery of a crate of stuff at a build site. I had to take a double-take as I realized after I was standing on the spot where numerous episodes were filmed at the seaplane strip for "Chalky's" I couldn't believe how much that entire island area is under development! I posted pics here on the site somewhere.As I said that was two years ago...I wonder if it's still there? It was abandoned when I took photos of it back then. Modernization was encroaching big time!

Sorry to hear that about your hangout and the other areas Stringer. Ya' date=' overbuilding and lack of respect for history is a universal problem. The problem seems worse in Miami, rated recently as the fastest changing city in America, after Las Vegas. Great Vice sites and other locations are being lost almost every day. If you were in downtown Miami, you were about 30 min away from Lummus Park beach on South Beach and about an hour away from Crandon Park Beach on Key Biscayne (during light traffic periods).[/quote']Sadly, Miami prides itself as being a "progressive" city. If you know anything about progressivism ( think Saul Alinsky), you know they have no regard for history. It's all about progress, moving forward for the better of everyone. The collective.

The tides of progress move on..........................

Hmm not sure - so many condos built in recent years remain half empty and the Hotels on Ocean Drive many struggle to keep going - many closed with the Cafes keeping the businesses going . Vegas is the real boom town :D:):balloon:

Hmm not sure - so many condos built in recent years remain half empty and the Hotels on Ocean Drive many struggle to keep going - many closed with the Cafes keeping the businesses going . Vegas is the real boom town :D:):balloon:

I agree Matt' date=' It's a shame what the skyline of Miami has become, all those condos have cluttered the shoreline and traffic is an absolute mess to get from the city to SoBe. There is talk of putting in a tram (like ski resorts use) to go from the city to SoBe !?! That doesn't sound like a very good way to move people back and forth from the beach to the city. Also there is talk of building this ridiculous looking I-395 bridge. See it Here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...miami#commentsSad to say, the old Miami that we all knew is slowly being destroyed.

Here is a video of the " SkyLink" tram

http-~~-//youtu.be/9s-lGG57v5Y

Thanks for posting the video - some ridiculous designs here .Miami is not quite the boom city it once was - several of the Ocean Drive hotels are empty and have cafes only on the ground floor - I witnessed this in Feb :balloon: