Unresolved plotlines and stories

Lifeguard

I thought it was dropped because Frank Zappa died, which made it impossible to bring Fuente back.  But he wasn't diagnosed with prostate cancer until after the series ended.  So I'm not sure why they didn't bring him back to tie up the story.  Perhaps Zappa was just too busy and wasn't available to shoot it?

I knew about Zappa's situation and his later diagnosis. If he was unavailable for whatever reason the writers could have written in a lookalike, or even going so far perhaps to concoct a replacement similar to what they did with Jimmy Cole (Glen Frey) who was supposed to repeat in Trust Fund Pirates but was unavailable, so they brought in the Jackson Crane character as a replacement. Could have created Fuente's son, or a business partner?

I think, as someone said in here, Vice wasn't keen on continuing storylines, even some potentially good ones.

I knew about Zappa's situation and his later diagnosis. If he was unavailable for whatever reason the writers could have written in a lookalike, or even going so far perhaps to concoct a replacement similar to what they did with Jimmy Cole (Glen Frey) who was supposed to repeat in Trust Fund Pirates but was unavailable, so they brought in the Jackson Crane character as a replacement. Could have created Fuente's son, or a business partner?

I think, as someone said in here, Vice wasn't keen on continuing storylines, even some potentially good ones.

That would have been interesting if they did a story with Fuente's son and they casted Dwezil Zappa for the role.

• 10 months later...

I would have loved to have seen a sequel episode to Payback, that was definitely one they really set up.

I haven't watch enough of the series yet to see all these unresolved plotlines, but from what I've read, I understand that much of the last season was just too hurried, as the show got canceled and they wanted to hurry up and end it. If it had gone on for a few more seasons, we would have gotten a much better sense of completion. Unfortunately, it's way too late now, and we don't have a time machine. But I think it's a great idea to make a novel series, it's never too late for that, and it would add all the things that felt missing from the show. As for the Tubbs' son disappearance, I guess the writers realized they'd made a mistake writing a child for him, as he'd never be able to take care of him, so they just conveniently never mentioned him again.

Edited by viceystyle
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't watch enough of the series yet to see all these unresolved plotlines, but from what I've read, I understand that much of the last season was just too hurried, as the show got canceled and they wanted to hurry up and end it. If it had gone on for a few more seasons, we would have gotten a much better sense of completion. Unfortunately, it's way too late now, and we don't have a time machine. But I think it's a great idea to make a novel series, it's never too late for that, and it would add all the things that felt missing from the show. As for the Tubbs' son disappearance, I guess the writers realized they'd made a mistake writing a child for him, as he'd never be able to take care of him, so they just conveniently never mentioned him again.

NBC announced the cancellation around the time they were filming Lost Madonna, and you can tell they really stepped up their production game for the last remaining episodes, though it does all feel very rushed. The script for Freefall was written in a big hurry, and it really shows in places. I don't think they'd let these opportunities slip by if they brought back the show now.