Non-Don episodes - how many and why?

cageyJG

As a precursor to this question, I am curious to know who the first person will be to let us know exactly how many non-Don eps there are, I'm guessing maybe 2 (+/-1). That would probably be the Gina as Cuban nightclub singer ep and maybe a Tubbs or Castillo ep...? Or Trudy even. I am fairly confident there are at least two, where scripting for DJ is minimal.But say there aren't, like the montage ep, "A Bullet for Crockett" where DJ spends the entire ep in a hospital bed and we just see a few dozen clips from past eps.Is the impetus for such an episode where the de facto lead character doesn't appear a result of that actor wanting to take vacation, squabbling over salary, or what-have-you? I tend to doubt the producers have such an episode cast and paid for under purely artistic reasons.I'm watching an old B&W Perry Mason, and in this episode, "Perry is in Europe working and can't help - sorry." So I know this kind of plot device exists, I just don't know what it may be called and what the probable occasions for using them would be!

• Administrators

There were 111 episodes and IMDB lists Don in all of them.If I recall correctly, he was in all of them, even if it was just one scene and only on screen for 10 seconds. There was an episode where he only appeared on screen at the beginning for about 10 seconds at the station.But I'm pretty sure he appeared in every episode.

Yep, DJ didn't have any screen time in the "Borrasca" ep. There were couple of episodes where he only made a brief appearance in the beginning, such as "The Afternoon Plane and "The Cell Within".

Yep, DJ didn't have any screen time in the "Borrasca" ep. There were couple of episodes where he only made a brief appearance in the beginning, such as "The Afternoon Plane and "The Cell Within".

Same with "Miracle Man", he was only on screen for about 2 minutes.

Probably late season 4 and in season five... Not my favorite seasons for sure. I've been trying to give season 5 a good shake lately yet it's a far cry from the first two seasons... Mike

I think it was contract problems.I have heard asking for more money and not getting along with others but I would rather hear that from Don the whole truth than a tabloid.

O.k.' date=' great job, gents. So what are the good conspiracy threads surrounding Don's absence...?[/quote']Mainly in Season 5 his few absences were due to him knowing the show was winding down and he appeared less - he was actively filming new movies in 1988 as well as recording his second solo album "Let it Roll" in 1989 also :balloon::dance2::cheers:

Thank you and thank you. As far as I'm concerned, outside of Vice, DJ is best remembered in his roles as Eduardo Sanchez and Lt Falcon! (Need to rewatch H.D.a.t.M.M., could be a 3rd.) ;) Edit: And of course, Nash Bridges, which I think I might get Netflix for. How could I have left that out. Don't hurt me.

• 1 month later...

He' s probrably also very well remembered for "Nash Bridges " also which ran from 1996-2001 :balloon:

I remember Nash Bridges. When the show first started, someone asked Don how does Nash compare to Crockett, and Don replied, quote, that Nash was "the same guy, just... ten years older." That's kind of true, I guess -- Nash had that Southern charm, a flashy sense of style, and drove a fast car. But Nash Bridges wasn't anywhere as cool as Miami Vice. It's funny because it ran just as many years as MV (5), only Vice seemed to go much quicker.

Edited by Spyder

• Administrators

I remember Nash Bridges also, kind of. I think we used to watch it, though I was only 2-7 years old when it was on. I read on IMDB that Philip Michael Thomas was in two episodes, and some other Vice actors also.

Edited by SL1DE

• 1 year later...

(snipped)But say there aren't, like the montage ep, "A Bullet for Crockett" where DJ spends the entire ep in a hospital bed and we just see a few dozen clips from past eps.Is the impetus for such an episode where the de facto lead character doesn't appear a result of that actor wanting to take vacation, squabbling over salary, or what-have-you? I tend to doubt the producers have such an episode cast and paid for under purely artistic reasons.

In the case of A Bullet for Crockett, a writer's strike was going on at the time it was filmed.  I have to give the show's producers props for not just showing a rerun and for setting up the situation as well as the team's reactions during the time he was critical in the hospital.

• Administrators

Same with "Miracle Man", he was only on screen for about 2 minutes.

That's longer (by about 2 minutes) than the time most of the fans watched the episode!

Yeah I remember Nash Bridges quite well, and yeah PMT showed up in some prison break episode, called something along the lines of back from miami I think

actually in looking up the cuda there was quite a few full episodes fully uploaded on the yousual site if you catch my drift so you might be able to still find it, actually Mr Quick Draw from the hitlist was also in one of the episodes and designed his sidearm for the series too. .38 super I think it was.

along with a custom compensator, hard chromed frame, and blued slide, like the standard bren ten in alot of ways really.

so I'm not surprised that there is a more than a few vice connections, and switeck showed up in one of the episodes too.

with the writer strike thing, I wonder if that was also the same strike that resulted in shades of grey being made, which is a clipshow that is widely regarded as one of the worst TNG episodes ever made, so Vice wasnt the first to be effected in such a negative way from that either it seems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_Gray_%28Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation%29

He was only in the start of "Afternoon Plane" before Tubbs goes off on his vacation. DJ probably got the week off whilst they filmed the rest of the ep so I doubt he complained. 

But in S4 & 5 I think he just didn't give a crap anymore and I don't blame him really. He was probably pushing for more eps starring Tubbs so he didn't have to be in some of this stuff like "Cell Within" xD

• 7 years later...
vor 18 Minuten schrieb Swevicus:

By contrast, PMT only misses a single episode during the show's run - "The Home Invaders".

Both PMT and DJ only missed one episode completely (DJ was not in Borrasca at all). Buth both were hardly present in numerous episodes - hard to compare by number of scenes present/absent.

You're right. I think this trend was mostly present in Season 5 (in DJ's case, I think it was because he was trying to move onto other things, so PMT took centre stage for a bit along with Michael Talbott).

Yes, both guys only miss one episode each. One due to injury, the other due to a planned break by DJ so he could record his second album. 

Generally speaking though, up until The Afternoon Plane in Season 3, most episodes were pretty even here or there. The Afternoon plane was the first time we saw one of the two main characters, take over the entire episode. This would often be seen later on in season 5.