Episode #72 "The Big Thaw"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

I know this is not the most popular ep. but I always loved this one. I thought it had a very comical side to it.I gave it a 9. :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

Ahhhh! One of my favorite episodes. I know, it really isn't classic Vice, with gunfights, sea & sand, beautiful beachfront mansions, but if you feel uptight & want to laugh, this is a must! Stan has some funny lines, like: "how can he have rights, he's a popsicle?" and his "I hate health" speech. Izzy steals the show, though, in addition to Nevins in the capsule. Very funny situation, as he tries to figure out thawing Nevins. Crockett gives some funny remarks when he sees Izzy is the doctor/ Entrepreneur Sonny: " This is from a guy who can't make toast." The end game is hilarious. Japanese businessmen with cameras around their necks bowing to Izzy, Reggae band playing, Nevin's wife trying to kill Izzy & C&T deciding to let her do it or save him...... & the capsule floating out to sea in the hot setting sun. Funny, mang! The song "What is Life?" by Black Uhuru says it all. I give it an 8.5 because this ep makes me laugh, & is very enjoyable as a needed break after "Death & the Lady!" For this Poll, I gave it a 9.....it really is a funny episode & that's what makes Miami Vice so enjoyable, you can feel like Sonny & Stan etc. would be good pals with you if you ever met them in person. I can't say the same for people on Law & Order or CSI Miami! :p

My original review 10 October 2007 at 5:02pmThis episode has grown on me over the years. I give it a 6. Things I like: 1. The different locations: We get a night shot of a rundown nursing home; we get shots of chaos in the OCB squad room; We get the scenic pictures by the water front. Drive by scenes while Sonny and Rico are searching for Izzy and Esther, the lovely sweep of the Scarab and scenes from Sonny and Rico's perspective while driving. Also the shot of where Robilard's band members were staying and the place where Froeble was going to beam his interview with the tv station, of course he was dead so Izzy tried to take over The scene 2. The Interplay among the characters: We get humorous remarks from almost every member of the OCB gang except Trudy. Gina has the line "Well it doesn't make any difference because his spirit's here". Both Stan and Sonny refer to Robilard as a popsicle; Stan"s infamous I hate Health clubs speech; and Castillo's infamous phone scene (I think Castillo got so disgusted especially after the Commissioner telling him about the law suits that he yanked that phone out of the wall, and broke it, but not the connection) and Crockett's reaction to it and telling the commissioner that he can catch the Lieutenant down at Lupe's in 5 minutes. Sonny leaves somebody with the check again! We also get Crockett telling Castillo "It's in the works" a phrase I'm more used to Nash Bridges using than Sonny Crockett. Also the lines Stan, Sonny and Rico have at the beginning when Sweitek tells Sonny and Rico about the judge and the search warrant to when they find Robilard. I loved Crockett's attitude throughout this whole episode and that the whole OCB gang was in this one doing something on the case, not just making cameo appearances. 3. The Music: The music video: it was in a simple early MTV style not very sophisticated at all the fact that it was used as a testament to Robilard's and Ether's love for each other and that a judge bought it, is funny. The use of Regae music was very appropriate for a story about a Regae singer. What I didn't like: 1. Stereotypes: The Japanese business men spoke broken English and had cameras around their necks and were smiling all the time. Also they seemed non-intelligent when Izzy was talking about the Robilard dolls and also when he was talking about shooting one of them to make a point. Japanese businessmen speak very good English and would have been shrewd enough know what was going on. The Regae band seemed so carefree without a care in the world, like they sing all day and don't worry about their supper. It was obvious one of them at least was performing somewhere making some kind of money. 2. Too much Izzy. I like Izzy but he just seemed to be in this story way too much he also seemed more obnoxious than usual although it's nothing to the way he was in Cows of October. 3. The non OCB characters: I detested Esther, the air conditioning men, the guy from the coroner's office, Poe and Froeble, I didn't like the lawyer either but kind of felt sorry for him for having such a messed up client. This episode does have some good humor in it, but most of it is just too over the top for me. I prefer the more serious MV episodes or the political ones.3/22/2010 - I still don't like this episode as much as others. Too each his/her own. I like the political, serious, or comspiracies episodes better than this one. I still think there was way too much Izzy in this one, however it does have good humor, so I'm changin my score to a 7. This episode is never one of my top 50 episodes to watch though.

This one made me laugh. Funny, yet kinda a poor episode-especially after such a gold star stunner... Stan, Izzie and the cool fashion keeps this one going. for me and the Scarrab to the rescue towards the end...8 from me...Mike

• Administrators

I loved Castillo always telling Stan to "move the body"!I agree it wasn't a Vice classic but to me it was very funny in a different sort of way.

I cann't help it but this is yet again a episode wich I usually skip when rewatching season 4.Actually just as with Amen .... send money I had to really motivate myself to watch it in order to make a good judgement for the poll.But I survived watching. :pI rated this ep a 4.I just miss a certain Vice feeling. I do like the first minutes of this ep just untill they discover the body.Good things this ep:The humor in this ep is quit funny when you get over the missing vice vibe thing.I like the scene were LT Castillo gives a phone to Sonny which is disconnected.The shirt Sonny wears.Bad thingsThe story lineto much izzythe (ex) wife the japanese bussines manHow can the tube with the body first sink and then drift away???

I too gave it a 4.However, it was a real treat to see the comedy in the episode. Izzy at his goofy best. It was obviously meant to be a part, if not full comedy.Castillo ripping a phone out of the wall is funny as a joke...but not really what I think Castillo would do if it were'nt a comedy.

Horrible. atrocious. garbage. trash. rubbishOne of the 10 worst episodes. 2/10

I agree.2/10 seems really harsh, but that's what I voted too. This wasn't well done, though there were some parts that made me laugh. But I was clock watching, waiting for it to end so that I could start watching the next episode. I've only clock-watched one other time. That was while watching Missing Hours.

Guest neworder

This episode is fairly insane, but enjoyable in places. It’s certainly one of the better so called 'comedy episodes'. The music from Jan Hammer and the reggae themed artist’s music is great, there are some funny scenes here and there and the odd funny line. The episode however, is let down by too much Izzy towards the end which is boring and ridiculous. I’m going to give it 6.5 (6 on poll), lowered from 7 on .org because there is too much Izzy, but I don’t mind watching this episode and there are some funny bits here and there.

• 3 weeks later...

I can only cast a 4 for this episode. Although Izzy provides a laugh in most of the eps he appears in, this one didn't do much for me. I also found the thought of hauling a frozen cadaver around throughout the whole show was pretty creeepy.

Episode 72#: The Big ThawINT. Dick Wolf's Office - DayDick Wolf sits behind his desk doing paperwork, Michael Mann walks in, Dick looks up to him."Hey, Mikey! Come in and sit down!" - Dick."I have no time to sit!" - Michael."What's wrong?" - Dick."You have dishonered Vice this week!" - Michael."Why are you talking like a chinese stereotype?" - Dick."Shut up! The Big Thaw was the worst episode I've seen!" - Michael."But, but, we needed comedy!" - Dick."No we don't! comedy and Vice go together like hot dogs and jambalaya, mix them up and you get a very smelly package and get episode with bad acting, cringeworthy special effects, you shame us, Dick!!" - Michael.Dick runs crying out of the room.--------That pretty much sums everything up simply, this episode is shameful, cheap, uncalled for and cringeworthy, this is shameful.Michael: This episode receives a 1 from agent 47!

Since my original post is still comedy gold (;)) I'll just quote it and write up my new review. This episode really, really .... doesn't suck. Honestly it's a silly episode with a questionable plot but the whole thing is just darn funny and enjoyable. The amount of Izzy this season is definitely commendable and the use of the song "What Is Life" is great here too. Also a spot for a younger Alfred Molina as a lawyer. This might be one of the biggest point jump yet. 7/10 is the new score above the old 1. 

Edited by agent 47
New review due to Blu-ray viewing.

This is a terrible episode all round.I don't even want to go into details.To put it in a nutshell,it gets a 3 from me.And I think that 3 is being generous.

• 2 months later...

Oh agent 47 that was priceless you had me laughing *said in a Jamacian accent*:DAnyway for me as other's have said I could skip this one only for a few parts. My favorite part is the end where Tubbs and Crockett come in on the boat , they are all fighting and the body is floating away. Oh and Sonny just leans back and watches them while Tubbs talks him into doing his civic duty...lmao!And did anyone and can anyone tell me why that boat is the same but different in colors than the other scarab in other seasons. Did Sonny get a new Scarab? And I still after watching many times do not understand why they keep the case. But Tony D is right , Stan is a laugh more than usual in this episode. I too love the 'I hate health, I hate sweat rooms" something like that and Trudie gets mad and says she treats her body like a temple and Stan treats his like an amusement park....:D I love that! I sadly had to say 4/10 Sue

Episode 72#: The Big ThawINT. Dick Wolf's Office - DayDick Wolf sits behind his desk doing paperwork" data-date=" Michael Mann walks in, Dick looks up to him."Hey, Mikey! Come in and sit down!" - Dick."I have no time to sit!" - Michael."What">

1 from agent 47!

• 7 months later...

well what can I say...silly,very silly... would have been ok for any other series but not for miami vice. tried to see the lighter side and just see it as a comical episode.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a poor episode with a few high points. The ending was good with the coffin floating out to sea. Not much else to like though 4/10

• 1 month later...

Yeah for me this is awful-maybe the worst ever episode i have seen.It does have some great comedy-a puddle in the cupboard where the body was"maybe he melted?"and the chaos in the office with the electricians ect.Izzy had a great line when he tells the singers wife he has endured the brain washing techniques of the cuban secret police lol.A very small conversation between crocket and tubbs in the cafe about the consequences if you could live forever is the only serious bit in this ep.A detour from the norm but overall it was very poor for my tastes.

• 7 months later...

I do kind-of like the idea of a comedy ep, But there's way too many of them. This makes a good companion piece to "Made for each other" If they were the only 2 ridiculous eps then i could forgive it.But The worst part of The big thaw is knowing that this isn't even the worst the show has to offer. It goes even further down hill from here on in untill the finale. So in the back of your mind, you're trying to figure out how your favourite tv show turned into this god awful trite. It's depressing.2/10 Only thing that saves it is the scarab appearance at the end.

• 2 months later...

"The Big Thaw" well.. what can i say about it.. i didnt like it, to strange for my miami vice tastes! granted, i love miami Vice, didnt have the "vice" feel to it, as always, love izzy! he always makes me laugh! lol but all in all, not happy with this episode. mabey im too "season 2"ish. thats was my fav so far.

There are good and bad episodes in every TV series. The location guys and gals had fun with the Big Thaw, lots of challenging locations to find. It was mainly comedy and had some funny moments so it worked in a way. I don't think the writers wanted anyone to take it too seriously, just have a laugh. Far from my favorite, I prefer the more serious episodes. But even the worst Vice episode is better than the c . . p they have on TV these days, with all the reality stuff that they want you to think is real etc. The exceptions are some of the programs they have on National Geographic, Military History, and some on the Education Channels. The new Vikings series they have on the History Channel ain't too bad. I'm not your typical TV viewer, I normally only watch shows that relate somehow to my personal interests in life. When I started watching Vice and Burn Notice because they were was filmed in Miami, I got hooked and learned to appreciate them also for their entertainment value.