Episode #72 "The Big Thaw"

Ferrariman

With this episode, you may need some Pepto Bismol because it may cause upset stomach, vomiting, and/or diarrhea.

Awful episode. Just terrible. I think the circus in the OCB really overdid it. What a joke. This nearly undermines the Vice unit’s credibility as a serious operation. And then you have that big squabble at the end with scenes of the dog barking in the car. That may seem like a minor detail, but... ugh, this has the hallmarks of some very campy screwball movie.

This really seems like a parody of MV by somebody smoking crack.

That song “What is Life” is also very terrible. I don’t care for reggae music. The only reggae-ish music I like is reggae-inspired new wave like The Police and Culture Club.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

With this episode, you may need some Pepto Bismol because it may cause upset stomach, vomiting, and/or diarrhea.

Awful episode. Just terrible. I think the circus in the OCB really overdid it. What a joke. This nearly undermines the Vice unit’s credibility as a serious operation. And then you have that big squabble at the end with scenes of the dog barking in the car. That may seem like a minor detail, but... ugh, this has the hallmarks of some very campy screwball movie.

That song “What is Life” is also very terrible. I don’t care for reggae music. The only reggae-ish music I like is reggae-inspired new wave like The Police and Culture Club.

Black Uhuru is one of reggae’s great bands with some incredible talent coming and going over the years. You wouldn’t have the same sounds coming from The Police without reggae, or for that matter, The Specials, The Clash, Madness, or more recently Sublime, Rancid, and The Bosstones.  The sound truly has spread around the globe.  

I have a very large reggae collection with about 200 albums or singles collections.  It is largely Jamaican of course, but includes a Maori band from New Zealand, another called O’Yaba from South Africa, other artists come from Japan, Israel, Brazil, France and those are just off the top of my head.  I’ve been to a couple of dozen festivals over the years hearing big names and local acts.  The style definitely had it’s heyday in the 70’s and early 80’s, but it never seems to go away.

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

Black Uhuru is one of reggae’s great bands with some incredible talent coming and going over the years. You wouldn’t have the same sounds coming from The Police without reggae, or for that matter, The Specials, The Clash, Madness, or more recently Sublime, Rancid, and The Bosstones.  The sound truly has spread around the globe.  

I have a very large reggae collection with about 200 albums or singles collections.  It is largely Jamaican of course, but includes a Maori band from New Zealand, another called O’Yaba from South Africa, other artists come from Japan, Israel, Brazil, France and those are just off the top of my head.  I’ve been to a couple of dozen festivals over the years hearing big names and local acts.  The style definitely had it’s heyday in the 70’s and early 80’s, but it never seems to go away.

Cool. I don’t mean any offense about reggae, I’ve just never gotten into it. I haven’t really listened to any real reggae other than if it was in a movie, tv show or commercial. I think it’s the vocal styling that I don’t care for.

No offense taken at all.  I was just pointing out the impact of the music.  It’s also very unique in all of popular music because it’s rhythm emphasizing the downbeat makes it instantly recognizable. While most people can recognize the style for that reason alone, the lyrics, particularly in the roots era of the early to mid 70’s, were often about social issues and problems of the day.  

These weren’t typical popular songs about love and relationships.  They spoke of the hardships of the ghettos, the racism in society, and the plight of the downtrodden.  Add in the mystical elements of Rastafari and you have quite a mix, conscious, as they said.  Most people enjoy the relaxed rhythms without understanding the complex ideas expressed in many of the lyrics.

For example, Marley’s Buffalo Soldier, which is widely known, is actually making a comparison between the discriminatory treatment received by Rastafarians in Jamaica with that of African American buffalo soldiers in the US Army in the American West.  It acknowledges a begrudging respect layered with bigotry.  It’s a fascinating topic all of its own and most listeners have no idea.

• 1 month later...

I guess once you accept the screwball manner of The Big Thaw, it's pretty entertaining.  Maybe not Classic Vice, but definitely Offbeat Vice.  The scene in the station with the ceiling crashing down, the Rastafarian family continually singing, Trudy holding onto one of the babies, etc. had me roaring with laughter. 

Edited by Jack Gretsky

On 7/24/2020 at 5:02 PM, AndrewRemington said:

You can really sense that Don and EJO were not happy doing this episode. 

Their body language 5 or so minutes in was like "what is this crap?"

The only good thing in this episode was Sonny's cool white clothes and stylish t-shirt.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

vor 4 Minuten schrieb RedDragon86:

You can really sense that Don and EJO were not happy doing this episode. 

Their body language 5 or so minutes in was like "what is this crap?"

EJO was pissed. He killed his office telephone in this episode and put it on the table with the wire sticking out...that was the coolest part of this episode... LOL :D

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I've been wondering about the telltale technology of Dr. Poe, and if Poe studied the work of Nietzsche before his work in cryogenics. When one has so much on their plate that they forget to eat, it makes me curious on how much they're thinking.

vor 1 Minute schrieb Eillio Martin Imbasciati:

I've been wondering about the telltale technology of Dr. Poe, and if Poe studied the work of Nietzsche before his work in cryogenics. When one has so much on their plate that they forget to eat, it makes me curious on how much they're thinking.

LOL if that means only slim geniuses, the synthetic drug professor in "Better living through chemistry" was an imposter :)

• Haha 1

If they had done only The big thaw in season 4 I would have forgiven them. But combined with Missing hours and Cows of October that was too much for my stomach.

• Like 3

Just now, Tom said:

If they had done only The big thaw in season 4 I would have forgiven them. But combined with Missing hours and Cows of October that was too much for my stomach.

I like 'The Big Thaw', but there sure is a lot of awkward goofiness in such a short period of time for Vice (I always feel the strangeness begins with 'Viking Bikers from Hell' from Season 3 and continues from there, with different degrees & mixed results); these episodes could've benefitted from a greater distance from each other.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I like 'The Big Thaw', but there sure is a lot of awkward goofiness in such a short period of time for Vice (I always feel the strangeness begins with 'Viking Bikers from Hell' from Season 3 and continues from there, with different degrees & mixed results); these episodes could've benefitted from a greater distance from each other.

To elaborate a little more, those wacky episodes make me reexamine other episodes in that timeline such as 'Amen...Send Money', which I think is a good satire on televangelism, but lumped in with the silly episodes that too can appear a bit silly.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, it's Season 4! So there are some moments I watch this one and think the shark is jumping, but then Izzy saves the day (as usual) and how! The brilliant writing shows Izz setting up the big screen to justify that he shall appear "in the stars" and . . . the gleam of light on the coffin at the end . . . just keeps making Vice's world a little shinier than this one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlemFan said:

Hey, it's Season 4! So there are some moments I watch this one and think the shark is jumping, but then Izzy saves the day (as usual) and how! The brilliant writing shows Izz setting up the big screen to justify that he shall appear "in the stars" and . . . the gleam of light on the coffin at the end . . . just keeps making Vice's world a little shinier than this one.

Izzy made a miracle and a revelation happen, and the Japanese were very anxious for that miracle to be revealed. "What is life, life is so sweet...what is life, life is so neat" (not the actual lyrics, but I like them anyway). Business by Izzy: Izzy knows business, and business is good.

55 minutes ago, FlemFan said:

As I think about it, perhaps I should have said, "This episode leaves me cold?"

Icy what you did there. :p

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

This is a silly one but the episode has a certain charm to it. Within the dark start to Season 4, this episode serves as a nice palate cleanser. Also besides the opening taking place at night, the whole episode takes place in one day which is rare for an MV episode to do. 

sadly the part where the reggae singers body is taken from OCB was sloppy writing and made the show the silly. I love MV so I can forgive but jeez, that was a low blow. 

Shame Miami Steve (who was meant to be in this ep) didn’t show up in the end. 

Great locations used, Sonny wears his best outfit (the double white baggy lounge jacket/pants) and it’s mainly sunny throughout which makes for nice visuals 3/5

• Like 3

The ending is beyond ridiculous.

Notice Martin Ferrero is really shocked at that woman's acting when she says "oh my god"

One of the kids isn't even Japanese and some of the Japanese men are laughing when Crockett is waving his gun around?

Tubbs doesn't seem to know what to do, he looks so awkward and out of place like he hasn't got a clue what is going on.

And that light on the capsule going out to sea with the ding sound at the end, what were they thinking:eek:

Steve Carell | The New Daily

Edited by RedDragon86

They might as well have ended the episode with Crockett and Tubbs both giving a thumbs up to the camera.  They flash their pearly whites to a sparkle and "ding".  Like a Doublemint or Mentos commercial.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 months later...

I know I’m probably going to be in the minority with this one...but that’s okay, lol! I know this episode is goofball :rolleyes: , and it's not really "classic" Vice...but I've always sorta liked this one!

I typically don't like goofy or humorous episodes of shows that are supposed to be serious...but for whatever reasons I find this episode funny! It's hilarious, and a much "lighter" side to MV...sort of a refreshing break from the "dark" and depressing.

The acting is not really that strong here, as it's not supposed to be, but there were many humorous performances and lines...from Crockett saying to Switek: "Did you stop for a snowcone...where've you been, Waffle-head?" :), to comments about the capsule as a "popsicle". :freeze: Castillo even was funny in this, with his ripping his phone out of the wall, handing it to Crockett while walking out of the building, saying "Find that body"--after being informed of multi-million dollar lawsuits after losing Robillard Nevin's frozen corpse. :p

Izzy, his assistant Manny, Esther Nevin, the so-called Dr. Frobel, the Alzheimer's-striken Dr. Poe, the other reggae singers, etc...were all humorous and fun to watch. The music, however, was one of my favorite aspects to this episode. What Is Life by Black Uhuru is superb and I LOVE that song!! :clap::radio: Wake Up and Live by Bob Marley was also in this episode.

Strange as this may sound, my other most favorite aspect to this episode is the filming location for Dr. Frobel and Izzy's so-called "lab"--the abandoned South Beach Elementary School. :thumbsup: I have a strange hobby of loving to explore and photograph abandoned schools, houses, churches, buildings, etc... But, for some reason schools are my favorite. So, the first time I saw this episode I knew that the abandoned building used for the lab was an old school. However, for some reason in the episode they made it out to be an abandoned nursing home...does anyone know why that was?? Why didn't they just use the building for what it was...an abandoned school? Why make it an old nursing home?

But, anyway, from the architectural design of the building, to old chalkboards & bookshelves still in rooms of the "lab", I knew this was an old school. Turns out it was the abandoned South Beach Elementary. It's since been torn down and another school now stands in its place. I just love the filming location for that and wish I could have been there to explore the entire school and photograph it before it was demolished. Here is a scene-clip of the old school from the episode--originally provided by miamijimf:

66EC2EB4-A0D7-4C48-A249-E33E0836C1BC.jpeg

More info originally by miamijimf: “In thescreen cap as the Caddy leaves the "Lab" it is headed out to Alton Road when it was two lane. The building was South Beach Elementary and the space is now occupied by South Pointe Elementary (address 1050 4th Street' date=' Miami Beach). I spoke to a teacher who has been at South Pointe Elementary for years. She said in the 80s the neighborhood went to hell, crack etc and there were not enough kids to keep the original elementary open. The building was named South Beach Elementary because of its geographic location. In the old days there were three Beach elementaries, North, Central, and South. According to the teacher, "The new elementary sits on the foundation of the old building." That area used to be called South Shore and only the beach itself below the fishing pier was called South Beach.”

The lighting for the old school, as well as other scenes, was superb too...again with a lot of neon green! :glossy: The ending was hilarious and I love how Crockett and Tubbs just sit there in the boat and watch all the other morons bopping and flopping around like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to get to Robillard's body. Love Crockett's line: "If we're lucky maybe they'll all kill themselves." :p

Also...Izzy does seem to still have his "junker" limo. I thought they used it for another scene (not necessarily being Izzy's) in "Cuba Libre" when it was blown up by some rocket launcher-like weapon. But, I still think Izz's original limo was that one blown up, as this one seems similar but somewhat different...possibly a different year/model. But, in the show I think it's supposed to be the same old Caddy.

All of these strange, bizarre, but humorous aspects all combine to make this one enjoyable and fun to watch. I always like this one every time I go through the series, and I gave it an 8. It probably only deserves a 6...but, I for some reason like it. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Adding to my post/review above, here are a couple more pics of the old South Beach Elementary School, used as the abandoned ‘nursing home’/lab in the episode. Why they tried to make it an old nursing home, and not just used it for what it was—an old abandoned school, I don’t know? 

66BACEDC-6D12-4E6B-BC2A-BF42CA068CCF.jpeg

35A1BE6D-BB15-4EBD-82BF-A82484F9336C.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2021 at 11:22 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Why they tried to make it an old nursing home, and not just used it for what it was—an old abandoned school, I don’t know? 

I think it was a bit of humor. The sign reads “Fountain of Youth Nursing Home”. Get it?

Have we ever discussed the goof in this episode when they are watching Izzy’s feed at the news station? There’s a red phone on top of the TV. The reporter answers it, but it doesn’t ring before she answers it. I guess the sound editing crew dropped the ball on that one—or maybe it was on the original broadcast, and I’ve found yet another DVD/Blu Ray error! :p

Anyway, I realize most of you probably skip this episode altogether. :) 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1