Episode #72 "The Big Thaw"

Ferrariman

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

I think it was a bit of humor. The sign reads “Fountain of Youth Nursing Home”. Get it?

Have we ever discussed the goof in this episode when they are watching Izzy’s feed at the news station? There’s a red phone on top of the TV. The reporter answers it, but it doesn’t ring before she answers it. I guess the sound editing crew dropped the ball on that one. 

I realize most of you probably skip this episode altogether. :) 

As goofball as this episode is, I actually kind of like it...I always watch it when going through the show. :D 

I realize the name of the old so-called nursing home was supposed to be an ironic or even sarcastic joke...calling it ‘Fountain of Youth’. :p I just didn’t know why they had to make the abandoned building supposedly a nursing to begin with? It served no real point or purpose for the plot/episode. They could have just left it what it was...an abandoned school. No biggie, though—just curious. :funky: 

• Like 1

However, I haven’t noticed the phone goof before..I’ll have to look for that, lol! It makes me think of North By Northwest...one of Hitchcock’s more famous films. As much of a stickler as he was for making sure every scene was “perfect”, somehow he missed a huge goof towards the end when there’s a gun fired in a restaurant/visitor center at Mt. Rushmore...but a kid (extra) suddenly puts his hands over his ears and ducks his head down well before the shot is fired. ;)

Edited by ViceFanMan

On 9/6/2021 at 12:39 AM, Dadrian said:

I think it was a bit of humor. The sign reads “Fountain of Youth Nursing Home”. Get it?

Have we ever discussed the goof in this episode when they are watching Izzy’s feed at the news station? There’s a red phone on top of the TV. The reporter answers it, but it doesn’t ring before she answers it. I guess the sound editing crew dropped the ball on that one—or maybe it was on the original broadcast, and I’ve found yet another DVD/Blu Ray error! :p

Anyway, I realize most of you probably skip this episode altogether. :) 

I never skip a Vice episode though, and when I REALLY got hooked on the show in 2011, I believe this was the 2nd episode I viewed ('Child's Play' was the first; what a contrast!).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I never skip a Vice episode though, and when I REALLY got hooked on the show in 2011, I believe this was the 2nd episode I viewed ('Child's Play' was the first; what a contrast!).

The only episodes I sometimes skip are “Missing Hours” and “Miracle Man”. They are so deplorable I can hardly stand to try and force my way through them. :sick::thumbsdown: I’ve seen them enough in the past...I don’t need to see ‘em every time I go through the show. But I usually watch all the others. :D 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

The only episodes I sometimes skip are “Missing Hours” and “Miracle Man”. They are so deplorable I can hardly stand to try and force my way through them. :sick::thumbsdown: I’ve seen them enough in the past...I don’t need to see ‘em every time I go through the show. But I usually watch all the others. :D 

I can even dig 'Leap of Faith', even if it isn't really a Vice episode (more of a mash-up of Vice and "21 Jump Street", and since Kiel Martin is involved, even "Hill Street Blues"). I think the story is good there, even with the episode's intention lying elsewhere. As for 'Missing Hours', that's difficult to defend (I find it easy to remember though!), but I like 'Miracle Man' for its awareness on manic depression.

6 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I can even dig 'Leap of Faith', even if it isn't really a Vice episode (more of a mash-up of Vice and "21 Jump Street", and since Kiel Martin is involved, even "Hill Street Blues"). I think the story is good there, even with the episode's intention lying elsewhere. As for 'Missing Hours', that's difficult to defend (I find it easy to remember though!), but I like 'Miracle Man' for its awareness on manic depression.

“Leap” is okay...although it was originally a possible Pilot for a spin-off series, that never ended up getting off the ground...so it is kind of boring as a MV episode without hardly any of the MV cast.

“Missing” is just pure garbage & not fit for any screen! :rolleyes: :p “Miracle” was an attempt to show ‘manic depression’...but in my opinion it’s so ridiculously & poorly done, that it just comes across as bizarre & pointless. :o I think it’s the 2nd worst episode of the show (“Missing” being the ultimate worst—of MV & all of television!). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

“Leap” is okay...although it was originally a possible Pilot for a spin-off series, that never ended up getting off the ground...so it is kind of boring as a MV episode without hardly any of the MV cast.

“Missing” is just pure garbage & not fit for any screen! :rolleyes: :p “Miracle” was an attempt to show ‘manic depression’...but in my opinion it’s so ridiculously & poorly done, that it just comes across as bizarre & pointless. :o I think it’s the 2nd worst episode of the show (“Missing” being the ultimate worst—of MV & all of television!). 

ANY screen for 'Missing Hours'? He he, what about the screen for the TV watch that Tom Hanks's Pep Streebek is watching/wearing in "Dragnet"? When something isn't even TV watch watchable, we know we're in for it!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

ANY screen for 'Missing Hours'? He he, what about the screen for the TV watch that Tom Hanks's Pep Streebek is watching/wearing in "Dragnet"? When something isn't even TV watch watchable, we know we're in for it!

Lol! :) “Missing Hours” should never have been made! Very good chance your IQ will drops points while attempting to view. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Lol! :) “Missing Hours” should never have been made! Very good chance your IQ will drops points while attempting to view. :p

My confusion quotient is certainly raised in this spot though; at the end with the freeze frame on Trudy, I'm left just as baffled as the previous time I viewed it. I think it's "A Very Special Episode" in that way of phrasing in which the episode isn't very special at all, like a variety show gone all kinds of wrong. I can't say I like 'Missing hours', but it fascinates me, like  it's a creation of unknowable reality (in that sense, it lives up to the Alien billing I suppose?().

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

My confusion quotient is certainly raised in this spot though; at the end with the freeze frame on Trudy, I'm left just as baffled as the previous time I viewed it. I think it's "A Very Special Episode" in that way of phrasing in which the episode isn't very special at all, like a variety show gone all kinds of wrong. I can't say I like 'Missing hours', but it fascinates me, like  it's a creation of unknowable reality (in that sense, it lives up to the Alien billing I suppose?().

Oh, it’s “special” alright...but it’s special in a way that’s considered mean to mention nowadays. :p 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Oh, it’s “special” alright...but it’s special in a way that’s considered mean to mention nowadays. :p 

Yeah, that thought definitely crossed my mind for sure!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 11:49 AM, Jack Gretsky said:

I guess once you accept the screwball manner of The Big Thaw, it's pretty entertaining.  Maybe not Classic Vice, but definitely Offbeat Vice.  The scene in the station with the ceiling crashing down, the Rastafarian family continually singing, Trudy holding onto one of the babies, etc. had me roaring with laughter. 

Indeed, this is the annual screwball episode of Vice.  Those without a shred of a sense of humor beware! This might have been a less-than-great ep in a better season, but because we're in S4, I put "The Big Thaw" in my top 5 of the season list. 

Izzy practically stars in this one (I like the live TV interview scene with the newscaster attempting to hold his cool), with the scene-stealing dog Lazarus.  And a young Alfred Molina too.  It's a frantic, stupid and goofy farce.  I love it! 

• Like 2

Just now, Jack Gretsky said:

Indeed, this is the annual screwball episode of Vice.  Those without a shred of a sense of humor beware! This might have been a less-than-great ep in a better season, but because we're in S4, I put "The Big Thaw" in my top 5 of the season list. 

Izzy practically stars in this one (I like the live TV interview scene with the newscaster attempting to hold his cool), with the scene-stealing dog Lazarus.  And a young Alfred Molina too.  It's a frantic, stupid and goofy farce.  I love it! 

I love 'The Big Thaw' as well; for me it's truly funny (Crockett's reaction shot to Robillard Nevin's music video, Switek's "I hate health!" rant, Castillo's busted phone, Izzy at the TV station, Izzy with the Japanese scientists, and of course Robillard Nevin sailing away). What is life? This (time for me to crank up some of that Black Uhuru while I'm at it)!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I love 'The Big Thaw' as well; for me it's truly funny (Crockett's reaction shot to Robillard Nevin's music video, Switek's "I hate health!" rant, Castillo's busted phone, Izzy at the TV station, Izzy with the Japanese scientists, and of course Robillard Nevin sailing away). What is life? This (time for me to crank up some of that Black Uhuru while I'm at it)!

Yes.  Lots of lol moments.  Lazarus simply jumping out of the passenger side window after Iz orders him to remain in the car, the discovery of a little puddle of water where the casket should have been and Stan saying, "Maybe he melted," Bill Raymond's mad scientist - I wouldn't want every episode to be like this, but it's fun every now and then!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Yes.  Lots of lol moments.  Lazarus simply jumping out of the passenger side window after Iz orders him to remain in the car, the discovery of a little puddle of water where the casket should have been and Stan saying, "Maybe he melted," Bill Raymond's mad scientist - I wouldn't want every episode to be like this, but it's fun every now and then!

I agree: an episode such as this shouldn't be a regular occurrence, but I feel the mood of comedy was captured so well. Definitely, Lazarus was brilliant (Izzy's like, "Okay, well, do that then" after that Lazarus run), Switek's "melted" comment (Switek was built for this kind of episode, even if he treats his body like an amusement park) and Dr. Frobel was certainly mad (no blanket immunity could rescue this man's rationale, but I commend his enthusiasm:)).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I agree: an episode such as this shouldn't be a regular occurrence, but I feel the mood of comedy was captured so well. Definitely, Lazarus was brilliant (Izzy's like, "Okay, well, do that then" after that Lazarus run), Switek's "melted" comment (Switek was built for this kind of episode, even if he treats his body like an amusement park) and Dr. Frobel was certainly mad (no blanket immunity could rescue this man's rationale, but I commend his enthusiasm:)).

Yes, LOL, Stan treats his body like an amusement park - I don't even want to comtemplate...   And, wow, didn't Trudy look smashing in the tight blue dress?  Dang! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Yes, LOL, Stan treats his body like an amusement park - I don't even want to comtemplate...   And, wow, didn't Trudy look smashing in the tight blue dress?  Dang! 

Well, it's like Zito said to Switek once, his eyes are the headlights, his mouth is the gas tank, his stomach the engine, or something like that...oh yeah, I don't want to think about Switek treating himself TOO well either; but the gals like Swi, so I'll let that be their concern:-).

For sure, Trudy hit hard with that blue dress; really gives even more relevance to what she said to Switek (still funny though). You know what other Trudy look I like a lot? From 'Heart of Darkness', the outfit and hat she wore when giving Crockett the info on Artie Rollins...especially the hat. Yep, 5 seasons of Trudy making it happen in many different ways!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I think this is one of the times Miami Vice pulled off trying a comedy episode. Made for Each Other being the other (that was a much better episode though). The key in these two were Izzy was at his best.

Just as a goofball episode it works. Missing Hours and Cows of October tried and failed dismally.

Problem with this episode though is the plot is extremely stupid and the first time the show jumped the shark with a ridiculous storyline (which then outdid itself with Cows and Missing Hours).

Edited by gazzaa2
  • Like 2

The episode itself it pretty awful but Izzy was amazing. Bill Raymond terribly overacted in many occasions which ruined a lot of funny scenes. Izzy, however, was always cool as ice... as a human equivalent of car crash or train wreck. He always cracks me up even now... decades later... when he just opens his mouth. 

• Like 2

Yeah I love Izzy in this :D Great great acting as always :D :D  But yeah the the episode altogether is really dumb .... or I quote @gazzaa2 on this as he said "EXTREMELY STUPID" :D Yeah it is, that stoopid it almost hurts watching :D   Izzy must have won a Golden Globe as supporting actor in a televisian drama series :D He is cool as ice, such a great performance in this as always.

His theme song is awesome too

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gazzaa2 said:

I think this is one of the times Miami Vice pulled off trying a comedy episode. Made for Each Other being the other (that was a much better episode though). The key in these two were Izzy was at his best.

Just as a goofball episode it works. Missing Hours and Cows of October tried and failed dismally.

Problem with this episode though is the plot is extremely stupid and the first time the show jumped the shark with a ridiculous storyline (which then outdid itself with Cows and Missing Hours).

2 hours ago, apocalypse said:

The episode itself it pretty awful but Izzy was amazing. Bill Raymond terribly overacted in many occasions which ruined a lot of funny scenes. Izzy, however, was always cool as ice... as a human equivalent of car crash or train wreck. He always cracks me up even now... decades later... when he just opens his mouth. 

I’m probably in the minority here, but although “Big Thaw” is ridiculous—from the music, Izzy’s humor, the old abandoned school (used as a supposed abandoned nursing home in the episode), etc...I actually can stand it over first season’s “Made For Each Other”.

To me, that one is more stupid and annoying! I can only handle so much “stupid”...and MFEO was over-the-top. I loved the characters of Zwitek & Zito, and I realize they were supposed to be “goofier” than Crockett & Tubbs. But, that episode turned them into total morons...they deserved better. :o 

Then you include BOTH Izzy & Noogie?? ?(Talk about spazoid, idiocy! In my opinion it ended up being like Beavis & Butt-Head meet Ren & Stimpy...so NOT what MV was about. :rolleyes:

“Thaw” to me is more humorous, and although it’s not some favorite episode, memorable, or famous or iconic for the show...it’s one I get a kick out of & don’t mind watching when going through the series. :D

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

I like the episode due to the locations and fashion showcased. Jan Hammer also really stepped up his game here and without his music in this ep, I know I wouldn’t of enjoyed it as much. 
That said, this is when the show jumped the shark in my imo. We are supposed to buy that Izzy broke into the OCB, some how found the Frozen capsule and stole it. Beyond ridiculous.
Missing Hours is Trudy’s dream and was intentionally set out to be kooky and weird so I can forgive it. But this comedy episode, didn’t need to lower itself to nonsensical unfunny skits. Its like the producers made sure not to film Izzy stealing the capsule from OCB because that’d look ridiculous right. But yeah go ahead and still write it into the storyline. I still like it now I know what I’m in for but originally upon first viewing it, that OCB scene bothered me.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Miami Beau said:

I like the episode due to the locations and fashion showcased. Jan Hammer also really stepped up his game here and without his music in this ep, I know I wouldn’t of enjoyed it as much. 
That said, this is when the show jumped the shark in my imo. We are supposed to buy that Izzy broke into the OCB, some how found the Frozen capsule and stole it. Beyond ridiculous.
Missing Hours is Trudy’s dream and was intentionally set out to be kooky and weird so I can forgive it. But this comedy episode, didn’t need to lower itself to nonsensical unfunny skits. Its like the producers made sure not to film Izzy stealing the capsule from OCB because that’d look ridiculous right. But yeah go ahead and still write it into the storyline. I still like it now I know what I’m in for but originally upon first viewing it, that OCB scene bothered me.   

Locations & fashion were really cool! :thumbsup: However, is Izzy himself supposed to have stolen back the capsule...or did he have someone do it for him? Also, we all love MV & OCB, but in all honesty...it was the 80s & a Vice division in a seedy part of Miami. To us they almost were...but, they weren’t the CIA. ;) Despite allowing C&T to “look” like they did for their cover...in reality (on the show) the department didn’t really have that big a budget.

Back then they didn’t have anywhere near the security that it would today. And Izzy had been up there more than once...as dumb as he “acted”, he wasn’t stupid. :p He probably knew more than one way in & out if there. “Thaw” is ridiculous, I know...but, I don’t think we’re supposed to put too much thought into details, lol! 

...and as for “Missing Hours” being Trudy’s dream, I’ve seen a video approaching it with that “theory”...but I don’t know if that’s ever been confirmed? It’s still the most despicable piece of garbage television has sadly ever wrote, let alone actually produced & filmed...but the dream idea would sort of explain it “away”—using that term on purpose, meaning it should go away. But, I actually don’t know if that’s what the writers originally had in mind? 

I pretend that the Burnett-saga ridiculousness is nothing but Crockett’s bizarre nightmare...that he eventually just wakes up from. Even though I know that’s not really what happened or was the writers’ intent, it helps me explain why he “magically” is eventually allowed to be a cop again & act as if nothing had happened. :p I suppose we could do the same for Trudy & “Missing”. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 3:38 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Locations & fashion were really cool! :thumbsup: However, is Izzy himself supposed to have stolen back the capsule...or did he have someone do it for him? Also, we all love MV & OCB, but in all honesty...it was the 80s & a Vice division in a seedy part of Miami. To us they almost were...but, they weren’t the CIA. ;) Despite allowing C&T to “look” like they did for their cover...in reality (on the show) the department didn’t really have that big a budget.

Back then they didn’t have anywhere near the security that it would today. And Izzy had been up there more than once...as dumb as he “acted”, he wasn’t stupid. :p He probably knew more than one way in & out if there. “Thaw” is ridiculous, I know...but, I don’t think we’re supposed to put too much thought into details, lol! 

...and as for “Missing Hours” being Trudy’s dream, I’ve seen a video approaching it with that “theory”...but I don’t know if that’s ever been confirmed? It’s still the most despicable piece of garbage television has sadly ever wrote, let alone actually produced & filmed...but the dream idea would sort of explain it “away”—using that term on purpose, meaning it should go away. But, I actually don’t know if that’s what the writers originally had in mind? 

I pretend that the Burnett-saga ridiculousness is nothing but Crockett’s bizarre nightmare...that he eventually just wakes up from. Even though I know that’s not really what happened or was the writers’ intent, it helps me explain why he “magically” is eventually allowed to be a cop again & act as if nothing had happened. :p I suppose we could do the same for Trudy & “Missing”. 

Yes it was me who posted the Missing Hours hidden meaning analysis. It was one of the first videos I did and it’s poor quality, I need to redo it with HD quality footage. Missing Hours isn’t cannon to the universe, same goes for Crockett’s dreams in Shadow in the Dark and Mirror Image. The actual Ricardo Tubbs never actually got put in a coffin, an imaginary one did from Crockett’s dream. On a side note, Crockett’s dreams should only of been shown in black and white as he confirmed he doesn’t dream in colour. 

So such as this missing hours episode, the only real cannon scene from this episode is Trudy waking up. The following peanut butter OCB scene indicates Trudy went back to sleep and kept dreaming. This also indicates Noogie Lemont either left Miami for good during season 3 or got killed. He only appears as an imaginary version of himself upon his return in season 4, much like the Sonny Steelgrave character from the show Wiseguy in season 2. The Steelgrave character actually died in Season 1. 

Anyways back to my point, The Big Thaw is all canon so the OCB Capsule removal that we see, is my jump the shark moment in the series :p

• Like 1