Episode #87 "Blood & Roses"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...

Ah yes, Blood & Roses. It really says a lot about the quality of an episode when it's only highlight is a rubber dummy used for a bad guy's death scene. Pathetic is the only way to describe that. Worthy of Ed Wood himself.Overall this is another S4 snoozer. 3/10

• Haha 2

Guest neworder

This one has gone down a bit in my expectations. Mosca remains a good villain. However, the involvement of Gina is for the most part a recipe for a disastrous episode. Thankfully there are good things about this ep that make up for her awful acting and the poor storyline that she's involved with. Mosca is played very well, there's a bit of action in there, some good scenery especially at Mosca's house and some decent music. Pretty standard episode, let down by Gina as per flippin usual 6.5/10

The story is well written and the acting is kind of oke this epI liked the music is of this ep!The styling of everybody and the set was a lot better then most of the ep's of season 4. I actually had to laugh from the look on Sonny's face when he at some of the spagetti in the factory of Cook. I found it hard to place sony's reaction toward Gina being undercover. Somehow his reaction is bordering me a bit. I found it a bit cold and distant in the beginning. Just the looks on his face at OCB, just as if he was practising his Burnett face.But then he tried to be warm and friendly towards her. Especially at the scene in Gina's house. The car scene were C&T are racing towards Mosca's house when Gina was made was filmed verry well and again the music :thumbsup:What I find rather strange is the fact that Gina shoots Mosca without him treatening her with his gun, is it oke to shoot because he could possible harm Sonny on the "elevater"?Overall a good ep, 7 from me

Despite Gina ruthlessly gunning down a rubber dummy in cold blood (:D) and the last shot of Crockett and Gina staring at each other shocked that they actually had to gun down somebody who was shooting at them (shouldn't they be used to this sort of ending by now?) , this to me, quite simply put, one of the best episodes of the season, Tucci's gangster Frank Mosca wasn't quite as flamboyant as his appearance in the snoozer season opener but his final scenes really shine, plus Iggy Pop's "Winners and Losers" is a brilliant song.I give it a perfect score of 10 out of 10.

• Haha 1

Posted: January 22 2008 The Mosca dummy is very obvious, but I really didn't want Stan Tucci to fall to his death! Maybe I am easy to please when it comes to Miami Vice.......but there is a lot to like in "Blood & Roses" 1. Tucci's performance as Frank Mosca is brilliant! He was so witty & charming with Gina and then so ruthless & cold-blooded with Cook & the other people he killed. He actually made chills go down my spine when he threatened Cook, & hung the guy who ratted out Gina. 2. Crockett's concern for Gina was touching, although he kissed her as if he wasn't married to Caitlin. 3. Nice colorful clothes like Season 1 & 2 for Gina and Sonny. Matching & complimenting their surroundings. 4. Beautiful shots of Mosca & Cook's homes with pools & beach! 5. I found the story to be gripping, but I do like Mafia related stories. 6. Gina's acting is not superb, but she gave a credible performance, & is very nice to look at! I always return to watch this episode and I rate it 8.5/10. For this poll, I rate it 9

I can only go as high as 5 for this story. The scene of rushing through traffic to get to Gina had some merit and it brought closure to the Mosca story, but otherwise an average storyline.

• 3 months later...

I enjoyed watching Saundra in this episode. I liked her fake american-italian accent. I like the Mosca/Gina "love" scene and Gina's remorse the next day "WTF did I sleep with last night? I dranked too much"I like the sweet scene between Crockett and Gina. I was surprised they kissed. Good ending scene with the chase and the gun fight in the factory.Rubber dummy might have been ok in the 80s. Nowadays it felt like "Monthy Python" style.I gave it a solid 7

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just watched it and I don't recall sonny and gina kissing nor the dummy...where was I :radar:? (I feel stupid, will watch it again right away) maybe that shows how much that ep grabbed my attention... gina is just not very convincing undercover, the best thing was the ferrari ride and the music with it. and I'd like to have the same view off of my balcony...couldnt decide between 4 and 5 so I made it a 5

need help here please!I watched it again and I don't have a scene where Sonny and Gina are kissing! When does that happen?and I watched the ending about 20 times...you guys are saying the mosca guy who gets shot by Gina is a rubber dummy when he falls? I can't see that either! Actually it looks even more like a stuntman to me cause he doesnt just fall, he pushes himself forward a little and one arm moves, just like a stuntman would fall (if that makes sense).Weird...could I have a different version? Thanks!

• Like 1

need help here please!I watched it again and I don't have a scene where Sonny and Gina are kissing! When does that happen?

They are not kissing at all; as far as I remember Sonny is visiting Gina before she goes to her "Mosca assignment" and he feels anxious... He seems to be a bit too apprehensive, considering that he is a married man now (and apparently so much in love with Cait). He gives her a hug, that's all. There are no "uncensored" Miami Vice episode versions (what a pity! :p:hot:)
  • Like 2

They are not kissing at all; as far as I remember Sonny is visiting Gina before she goes to her "Mosca assignment" and he feels anxious... He seems to be a bit too apprehensive' date=' considering that he is a married man now (and apparently so much in love with Cait). He gives her a hug, that's all. There are no "uncensored" Miami Vice episode versions (what a pity! :p:hot:)[/quote'] Thanks brenda, yeah what a pity, I agree...but I dont even have a scene like that either! the only scene with sonny and gina is at the office, very brief, no hugging no nothing, her just walking in and out and he's sitting at his desk!

• 1 year later...

An 8 from me.Sonny deffo visits her in her apartment as she is getting ready to meest mosca-he puts his arms round her-she gives him a kiss on the lips-im watching region 2 boxset.To the actual ep-i give it an 8-i enjoyed it.Love the guy who plays mosca-he was also great in a show murder one?Anyways i enjoyed the initial flirting scenes with him and gina-she plays the slightly impressionable(dumb lol?),yet very attractive interior designer very well i thought.As soon as she asked Tubbs for the piece at the end i knew she was going to get the kill.The look at the end between her and Sonny is intriguing.Others here have stated what they interpreted it to be-while she had every right to shoot him,i think she knows she was looking to kill him,and Don is questioning her decision???thats my take anyway.Also would mosca have ran like that at the end-we already seen previously his tricks in the court in a previous ep-how much jail time would he have got?and he had like a luxury tv and food in his cell in the other ep as he stood trial lol.Finally i thought Frank Stallone was great as the henchmen!

• 1 month later...

My favorite episode of season 4 for these reasons:1: It ties up the loose ends of Contempt Of Court. They both make great back to back viewings2: Crockett wears some of the best suits in this episode and his hair looks better than it does in most of this season's episodes3: Gina never looked hotter!4: Jan Hammer's score in this one is awesome5: Great Testarossa action6: Mossca is a great villain. I love his style and humor ie *slap* "That's for taking the Lord's name in vain!" right before he has someone whacked

My favorite episode of season 4 for these reasons:1: It ties up the loose ends of Contempt Of Court. They both make great back to back viewings2: Crockett wears some of the best suits in this episode and his hair looks better than it does in most of this season's episodes3: Gina never looked hotter!4: Jan Hammer's score in this one is awesome5: Great Testarossa action6: Mossca is a great villain. I love his style and humor ie *slap* "That's for taking the Lord's name in vain!" right before he has someone whacked

I like this episode for all the above reasons plus it includes interior shots and the only exterior photo that I have been able to find of the "spaghetti factory." In reality this was the Hammond Company's Dixie Lily Milling Plant that produced grits along with other products. Its large illuminated sign was an animation of a moving water wheel turning the mill to grind grain into flour. It was a well known landmark. The sign on the top of the plant was close to 36th Street by the airport and highly visible from Okeechobee Road and the State Road 112 ramp.

• 7 months later...

A lot seem to always refer to the Mosca dummy falling to "it's" death as some horrible downfall to this episode...folks, really?? This was 1980's TV...what do you expect? :baby: It was not like now, where they can do a bunch of CGI to try and make it look more real. They used what they had. It was not that bad or noticeable...it's called use your imagination and just know it's supposed to be Mosca. ;)I really like this episode...good plot, and an awesome return / sequel to the much less awesome season opener! Stanley Tucci is an awesome actor and I've seen him in many things. But, he always seemed to play the perfect sleezy bad guy or assassin...as he was the hired assassin in the movie "Pelican Brief"--with Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington.His performance as Frank Mosca was superb! He truly captured a modern (at the time) version of Al Capone. He was charming and witty...but vicious and deadly at the same time. By the way, what was the deal with the "Franks"? Was this a name that some "MV" writer or producer hated or something? You have Frank Hackman, now Frank Mosca. What are the odds that both nemesis of Crockett and Tubbs would be named Frank? :pI really liked the colors and fashion in this one (except for Gina's butt-ugly VERY 80's prom-style dress at the beginning :eek: But, that was in style then. :) ) and they reminded me of earlier seasons! The beach scenery from Mosca's mansion was also breathtaking! Beautiful filming location! :glossy:Saundra Santiago did a superb job in this one! :clap: Her performance was emotional and in-depth...and I like how the tables were turned, and she got to be the one to take Mosca down, instead of Crockett. I also liked the scene between her and Crockett! Very sweet and touching...you could tell there were still very deep feelings between them but for some reason they could just never quite get it together. :cry: But, along with her awesome performance, Gina was hot throughout this one! :happy: Enjoyed watching Saundra (Gina) very much. :DThe music was also really good...with songs like Winners & Losers by Iggy Pop, and Dangerous Game by Tommy Shaw! Interesting soundtrack, and it was cool! :radio:Overall I found this episode to be much better written and carried out than its counterpart season opener, "Contempt of Court". I gave it an 8! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

It's was a pretty good episode, and it was interesting turn of events to see Gina be the one to finally take down Mosca after all of the history Mosca and Crockett had between them.  In some places, I have to give credit for Miami Vice continuing this story from "Contempt of Court", but on the other, it was a bit disappointing that the show didn't bring back the experiences Gina had from "Give a Little, Take a Little".  It was nice to the bond Gina and Trudy had for each other when that's rarely shown.

It was awkward though to see Crockett appear in Gina's apartment and see him affectionately hold and even kiss Gina (although it was brief) with Crockett already being married and all.  But whatever though...

This episode seemed to show a bit of Mann's style with the Ferrari racing toward Mosca's home, the lush tropical scences around Miami, and the glamorous clothes, but of course, it doesn't have that atmospheric feel that Mann explicitly shows in his filming style.

What made this particular episode fascinating was that it wasn't the standard linear relationshp between the bad guys (Mosca) and the good guys (Crockett and Tubbs).  Here having Gina complicated the dynamics between all of them, and gave a new spin on the situation.

• 1 month later...

An 8 from me.Sonny deffo visits her in her apartment as she is getting ready to meest mosca-he puts his arms round her-she gives him a kiss on the lips (snipped) .As soon as she asked Tubbs for the piece at the end i knew she was going to get the kill.The look at the end between her and Sonny is intriguing.Others here have stated what they interpreted it to be-while she had every right to shoot him,i think she knows she was looking to kill him,and Don is questioning her decision??? thats my take anyway.

My take was that she wanted to make sure Mosca wouldn't be able to shoot Sonny--she had a clear shot at him at that point and Sonny didn't, and Mosca was definitely shooting at Sonny, who was in a more precarious position than Gina was.  Yes, she did want vengeance on him for the rape, but I still think Sonny's danger was why she shot Mosca.  The look between her and Sonny at the end was IMO Sonny questioning her action and her trying to pretend she wasn't motivated by her feelings for him.  I think he knew how she felt about him (and felt guilty that he didn't feel the same) but she wasn't willing to risk admitting those feelings when she knew their relationship wasn't going anywhere.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Although flawed I enjoyed this episode from early 1988.  Saundra Santiago and Stanley Tucci did a fine job. Good locations and direction also from George Mendeluk

8/10

:done:

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Pretty good episode.

Great to see Mosca back both in human and wooden form lol. It really aint that bad. Probably because I'm so sick of CGI.

Honestly, I've always liked Gina and dug it when she had an episode based around her.

Once again, pretty much every scene with Mosca is great.

I kinda wish Crockett and Gina got back together towards the end of S5. They were perfect for each other.

Love the car montage with Dangerous Game playing.

I hate it when they stare at each other at the end. Like someone else said, they should be used 2 this by now lol.

8/10

• Like 5

• 2 years later...

Been a while since I saw this episode. Rewatched it again last night and it was pretty good! Mosca had me seething at how scummy he was from the start of 4 to the end here, satisfying to see him take a tumble for good. And oh man did Gina shine in this episode, especially with that evening dress of hers...man! Oh man! Yeah like Remington said above the car montage was pretty slick, had me pumped up and Iggy Pop's Winners and Losers was a great track to end on, fitting too. I think I can agree with Remington's rating here.

Screw you Mosca.

• Like 3

I always liked this episode. Especially when Sonny visits Gina and tries to warn her about Mosca. The chemistry was still there! (sigh)

This episode was an 8/10 for me.

Interesting how Gina seemed to have a thing for the "bad boys". She knew Mosca was wrong, but she couldn't help herself. She got herself into the same hot water with Sean in "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling". 

And of course, there was always the ultimate 'bad boy', Sonny Crockett himself. 

Poor Gina. She never had a chance!

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 5