Episode #75 "Missing Hours"

Ferrariman

22 hours ago, Bren10 said:

Interesting “theory” of trying to explain this episode...perhaps this is all just supposedly Trudy’s bizarre dream? (Sidenote: Referring to a couple of the other episodes the video referred to as ‘dream’ ones—despite what some have tried to make it into...the episode Shadow in the Dark was not a dream sequence. The only “dreams” in it where a couple quick nightmares Crockett has & wakes up from while investigating the case.) 

However, back to “Missing” and Trudy...I’m not sure all the ‘trauma’ she’d experienced in past cases would suddenly make her lose-it instantly for this episode...I think we’d of seen signs of mental issues earlier, if they were leading up to this goofy-garbage. In all honesty I still think the writers had given up and just “farted” this piece of TV-poop out for the craziest ‘filler’ they could come up with. :p 

But, either way the fact that it wasn’t “MV-canon” (as the video stated) and literally served no purpose for the show or characters whatsoever...and the fact that the bizarre idiotic plot makes no sense, and isn’t really “explainable”, makes it even more-so the WORST episode of not only MV, but possibly in all of the history of television!! :thumbsdown: :sick: :(

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb ViceFanMan:

Interesting “theory” of trying to explain this episode...perhaps this is all just supposedly Trudy’s bizarre dream? (

Well, I have learnt over the years that of many options to an unexplainable issue the easiest explanation is usually the correct one. 

After watching this video, I had to laugh that this guy is desperately trying to find any deeper meaning or writer´s consideration in this episode. That the episode´s story was Trudy´s dream and not reality is a no brainer as we all have known that since it first aired due to the final scene. But also his assumption that this is about a trauma is just another desperate attempt to understand something where there is nothing to understand. 

The most likely explanation here is the most profane one: somebody decided to do a "fun episode", something out of the ordinary, tried to be "different", maybe to crank up ratings, today we call it "click-baiting".

There is a bit of circumstantial evidence for this: there was an interview with Dick Wolf on yotube many years ago about his part in MV where he mentioned that VICE was the only series where one could make such a crazy episode. And he was on the production/writers team in season 4. And, the story was written by Thomas Disch, a SciFi writer, not somebody from the MV writer´s crew. So, somebody decided to take this outsider´s script and adapt it for filming (but no Teleplay credits). This also backs up my theory that there is no deeper character consideration or trauma "treatment" in it for Trudy. That would also be ridiculous 3 years AFTER Smuggler´s blues and Dutch Oven, by the way. She never showed any signs of burn out in between....

The only mystery here is why they did ANOTHER "fun" episode just after "The big thaw" and the second half of "Amen...send money" and then another briefly after ("Cows of October"). 

So, for me there is no deeper meaning than someone wanted to be funny or different at all cost. Also, the marriage/Caitlin arc just one month after was an attempt to push up ratings which basically backs up that consideration as well. And, as said, the most profane explanation mostly fits.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

Well, I have learnt over the years that of many options to an unexplainable issue the easiest explanation is usually the correct one. 

After watching this video, I had to laugh that this guy is desperately trying to find any deeper meaning or writer´s consideration in this episode. That the episode´s story was Trudy´s dream and not reality is a no brainer as we all have known that since it first aired due to the final scene. But also his assumption that this is about a trauma is just another desperate attempt to understand something where there is nothing to understand. 

The most likely explanation here is the most profane one: somebody decided to do a "fun episode", something out of the ordinary, tried to be "different", maybe to crank up ratings, today we call it "click-baiting".

There is a bit of circumstantial evidence for this: there was an interview with Dick Wolf on yotube many years ago about his part in MV where he mentioned that VICE was the only series where one could make such a crazy episode. And he was on the production/writers team in season 4. And, the story was written by Thomas Disch, a SciFi writer, not somebody from the MV writer´s crew. So, somebody decided to take this outsider´s script and adapt it for filming (but no Teleplay credits). This also backs up my theory that there is no deeper character consideration or trauma "treatment" in it for Trudy. That would also be ridiculous 3 years AFTER Smuggler´s blues and Dutch Oven, by the way. She never showed any signs of burn out in between....

The only mystery here is why they did ANOTHER "fun" episode just after "The big thaw" and the second half of "Amen...send money" and then another briefly after ("Cows of October"). 

So, for me there is no deeper meaning than someone wanted to be funny or different at all cost. Also, the marriage/Caitlin arc just one month after was an attempt to push up ratings which basically backs up that consideration as well. And, as said, the most profane explanation mostly fits.

This is probably true & seems more plausible...however, neither Missing Hours, nor the whole ‘Caitlin saga’ are “fun” episodes, even if originally intended to try and boost flailing ratings. ;) They were either beyond bizarre-stupid that made no sense (“Missing”), or just over-the-top ridiculous with forced & faky storylines/relationships (Caitlin-saga). ALL of that sadly contributed to the show’s demise. :( 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Interesting “theory” of trying to explain this episode...perhaps this is all just supposedly Trudy’s bizarre dream? (Sidenote: Referring to a a couple of the other episodes the video referred to as ‘dream’ ones—despite what some have tried to make it into...the episode Shadow in the Dark was not a dream sequence. The only “dreams” in it where a couple quick nightmares Crockett has & wakes up from while investigating the case.) 

However, back to “Missing” and Trudy...I’m not sure all the ‘trauma’ she’d experienced in past cases would suddenly make her lose-it instantly for this episode...I think we’d of seen signs of mental issues earlier, if they were leading up to this goofy-garbage. In all honesty I still think the writers had given up and just “farted” this piece of TV-poop out for the craziest ‘filler’ they could come up with. :p 

But, either way the fact that it wasn’t “MV-canon” (as the video stated) and literally served no purpose for the show or characters whatsoever...and the fact that the bizarre idiotic plot makes no sense, and isn’t really “explainable”, makes it even more-so the WORST episode of not only MV, but possibly in all of the history of television!! :thumbsdown: :sick: :(

You are very enduring. Don´t you ever get tired to write that "Missing Hours" is crap?

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 7:22 AM, Glades said:

You are very enduring. Don´t you ever get tired to write that "Missing Hours" is crap?

No...it’s so despicable & utter garbage that it’s always relevant. :p Actually I usually only refer back to this episode when other things have been brought up about it again. I found that video interesting (not necessarily agreeing with everything in it) as it too basically said it’s ‘crap’ , serves no purpose, and doesn’t add anything for the show or characters. ;) 

Edited by ViceFanMan

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2010 at 4:22 AM, Tony D. said:

Here we go with everyone's favorite...... Miami Vice by way of the X-Files! "Missing Hours" has some redeeming quality in that it features Trudy, PMT, Stan & we get quite a few laughs- "Is it creamy or is it crunchy?" Also from the little green men remarks, mainly by Crockett. I enjoyed hearing James Brown do "I Feel Good." What I didn't like the most was the way nothing really made sense, & there was no point to the whole story. At least in "The Big Thaw" we had a comedy & a story of the wife trying to get Rollibard's money. Trudy really looked like she was having LSD hallucinations. I liked Chris Rock in this & the laughs so I'll give it a 4/10.

I laughed really hard at Trudy comeback at the office singing I feel good to everybody's puzzlement :)!

• Like 1

We all agree it would have been better if this episode had never been made. The same applies to a few other of similar (bad) quality/script in S4 (you know which ones I'm referring to). MH simply doesn't belong to the MV universe.

I recently re-watched this episode after years. I cringed the first couple of times I watched this (years apart) but this time I just focused on the comical aspect of the story. The funny dialogue exchange between C&T ("I am not going chasing little green men with you!"), "cream or crunchy" from Tubbs and Switek to Trudy and "Does the word 'undercover' mean anything to you?" from Tubbs to Carson at the Astrolife convention. It was also fun to watch the interaction between the 'magic duo' and James Brown.

Nice to see Noogie again for the last time and with Izzy! I found their scenes extremely funny.

And Sonny interrogation scene with Lonnie Akers widow was noteworthy for being well played by DJ.

I'd take this episode as some dreadful experiment by writers and produces to tell some fantasy/science fiction story in a police drama that's normally grounded in reality. They just should have focused on the usual MV stuff.

My rating on this. it is a generous 4 for rewarding me with laughs having gone through the whole 46 minutes episode again. Last but not least, this was the last appearance of Noogie Lamont.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2010 at 8:23 PM, Marilyn said:

It wasn’t me for sure! What the hell is this episode about? It’s too weird to be funny. I have no clue why Ate de Jong took this job. I remember all he could do when he was back in Holland was complaining about DJ’s bad attitude. Well, I would be a little cranky too if I had to play in such a ridiculous episode! :D

Did DJ have a bad attitude? (Maybe that song in Freefall was meant for him :))

Edited by wolfie1996
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does it really deserve worst ever? The visuals and music are good. James Brown is one of the least annoying music guest stars, and Chris Rock does a more than creditable job. Tubbs running the Feds off the small cliff while playing Chicken is an awesome moment. 

I'm partial as I have fond memories of visiting the old Miami Planetarium.

11 minutes ago, FlemFan said:

Does it really deserve worst ever?

Not for me. Like you said, there are many “Miami Vice” elements throughout the episode. The episode with the least of such elements (for me) is Hell Hath No Fury, which makes it the worst. 

• Like 1

I see no MV “elements” in this episode...I would think James Brown would have been embarrassed by this, the rest of the guest stars were weird or annoying, and it just literally made no sense! Any kind of sci-fi/alien crap was not a topic that was appropriate for a show like MV. This was not only the worst episode of the show, but possibly in TV history. A sad & pathetic moment in the art of television (especially being associated with a show as awesome as MV). ;( 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I see no MV “elements” in this episode...I would think James Brown would have been embarrassed by this, the rest of the guest stars were weird or annoying, and it just literally made no sense! Any kind of sci-fi/alien crap was not a topic that was appropriate for a show like MV. This was not only the worst episode of the show, but possibly in TV history. A sad & pathetic moment in the art of television (especially being associated with a show as awesome as MV). ;( 

I was just looking into the man that wrote this (Thomas M. Disch) and he was a well respected science fiction author and poet who won awards for his work. 

Why did he add peanut butter to the story? I don't think I have ever really paid any attention to this episode.

What was the peanut butter all about?

Edited by RedDragon86

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

I was just looking into the man that wrote this (Thomas M. Disch) and he was a well respected science fiction author and poet who won awards for his work. 

Why did he add peanut butter to the story? I don't think I have ever really paid any attention to this episode.

What was the peanut butter all about?

Well, sadly this was NOT a respectful edition to his work...nor even the genre of sci-fi & the so-called alien junk itself! :eek: As for the peanut butter...who knows?? ?( There was no point or purpose to any of it...they basically (purposely) took a bunch of garbage and “smooshed” it all together, into something that doesn’t even tell a story of any kind. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

So the guy who drops 20 or so jars of peanut butter is just nonsensical. 

That script really is a load of trash.

How did it even get accepted? who was responsible for reviewing scripts?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

So the guy who drops 20 or so jars of peanut butter is just nonsensical. 

That script really is a load of trash.

How did it even get accepted? who was responsible for reviewing scripts?

I’ve never found any explanation for any of that episode...other than it possibly might of supposed to have been a bizarre dream of Trudy’s. I don’t fully buy that, but even if so, that doesn’t excuse it! 

But, as to who wrote and/or approved of the turd-of-a-script...ask 5 people on here & you’ll get 5 different answers of who was responsible. :p In my opinion, the whole production team (including the writers) were “guilty” of polluting & desecrating not only MV, but the art of television, with this detestable garbage. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 2:41 PM, Bren10 said:

All right, the dreaded Missing Hours.  Just watched it again and thought I'd give some thoughts.  Btw I am somewhat into the paranormal myself so I don't hate this ep quite as much as everybody else although I do think it is bad for Miami Vice.  This is the writers attempting to hit all the hot topics of the day, so this is the "UFO" episode.  Whitley Strieber's Communion book had just hit in '87 and got major attention.  And I must say that they at least did some basic research into the subject.  

The opening is obviously silly, though I'd like to point out that Noogie is carrying a Lazer Tag pistol that I once had myself.  Pretty cool.  The concept of missing time first came into public consciousness with the Betty and Barney Hill case. The peanut butter thing-there's been reports of idiosyncrasies like this on the part of ETs and returning abductees.  Abductees have returned from their experiences inexplicably with different tastes and cravings in their lives, as well as euphoria like Trudy in the "I Feel Good" scene.  Some have even changed sexual orientation.  Also reportedly one captured ET had a penchant for strawberry ice cream.  Nevada is mentioned of course.  Home to Area 51 and supposedly S-4 where Bob Lazar worked on reverse-engineering captured aircraft.  Abductee body markings are shown which is also a phenomenon.  

Sonny takes Akers' hand in the interrogation room which is highly uncommon.  Chris Rock looks emaciated but it's cool to see him in the OCB.  He is a Miami Vice alumnus now.  The concept of screen memories/implanted false memories are explored here as well-also part of abductee experience.  James Brown is always cool, and he's a helluva lot better here than Miles Davis was in his ep.  Everybody always mentions how good Trudy looks and that's true, but I also think Gina looks really good here too.  Men In Black take Akers from the hotel and are involved here.  They are yet another agency operating above the law on American soil with their own agenda.  This actually fits in with the many themes of Vice.  Power outages and automobile failure are featured which has also been reported by many, including military and law enforcement.  Some of the first computer/internet bulletin boards were used by UFO researchers.  "Cigar shaped craft" are mentioned which is a very common descriptive term in reports going back decades.  There's a glass Gatorade bottle on the table in the houseboat.  I remember these vividly as well as the different taste they imparted.  That goes for glass soda bottles too, btw.  I find some of the dream imagery here David Lynch-ian.  New Mexico, site of the Roswell incident, is mentioned as well as disinformation and debunking cases.  Coercion, intimidation, and even the drugging of witnesses is also discussed.  This has been reported not only by civilians but also by military personnel, particularly in regards to the Rendelsham Forest case in the UK.  Landing spots that leave radiation, and consquently where vegetation fails to grow is also mentioned.  There is tangible proof of this sort of thing.

Overall this ep does a good job of hitting all the bases of the apparent phenomenon here.  A Cliff Notes version for the un-initiated.  It has to be said, as crazy as the premise is, the cast is fully invested in the material.  Everybody does well here, especially Olivia Brown and PMT.  Brown really sells the trauma and helplessness of the situation which is how it would be.  Kudos to her for real in a part that must have been especially difficult.  She goes to many extremes emotionally all within one episode.  There's humor too, especially with C&T at the hotel.  I'm not defending this episode, but there's different ways to look at it besides outright hate and dismissal.  A positive way to look at it is as an exploratory one-off that isn't really part of the canon, which it wouldn't really be anyway if it's all  just a dream, right?

Bren10 made the above excellent comment on this episode in 2018.  For my money, the less said about Missing Hours, the better--but he's got a lot of great points to make (above).  As a teenager I was interested in the UFO phenomena and remember some of the reported events and sightings.  I agree with Bren10 that the episode had little if any applicability to Miami Vice except as a weird dream of Trudy's--but it does fit in with UFO lore that held a fascination for some people at the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Bren10 made the above excellent comment on this episode in 2018.  For my money, the less said about Missing Hours, the better--but he's got a lot of great points to make (above).  As a teenager I was interested in the UFO phenomena and remember some of the reported events and sightings.  I agree with Bren10 that the episode had little if any applicability to Miami Vice except as a weird dream of Trudy's--but it does fit in with UFO lore that held a fascination for some people at the time.

This is true, during that time there was kind of a UFO “interest” for a while. Other shows at the time also did their “alien”/UFO episode. I’ve never cared for, believed in, or been into that kind of thing, but I know some other people enjoy it. However, it just seemed like a very poorly done episode all the way around, even if you were/are into that kind of thing. MV was also not the type of show to include that sort of topic in, either...which also didn’t help.

The guy narrating in the hidden meaning video is really reaching, trying to connect "Smugglers Blues" and "The Dutch Oven" oh give me a break.

Even if it was just all a dream and it doesn't matter that the plot made no sense does not make it any better, its still a load of old tosh.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/3/2020 at 4:18 PM, Jack Gretsky said:

I tolerated The Big Thaw as a nutty screwball farce, but Missing Hours ... just ...doesn't...work.  You have to wonder if some of the face-palming done by the characters is actually the cast members themselves editorializing!  Alien conspiracy and Miami Vice just don't mix.  I don't think even David Lynch could have directed this well. (Although he might have given the hallucinatory stuff more zest.)

I do like seeing the Noog-man one last time, and it's interesting that Chris Rock talks about using a computer BBS.  But otherwise a dorkball episode - a try at an "out there" story that flops. 

• 1 month later...

I suppose this is without much debate the worst episode from the entire series...... Even by S4 and S5 standards....... 1/10 without any shadow of a doubt.

Most S4 and S5 episodes were "watchable", and not even the below average epsidoes in this season are THIS bad...

The episode is just weird, tries to mix alien themes with hallucinations, and add comic reliefs with "Noog-man", mix that stuff up with the Vice team, weird music and the Testarossa (why did they have to use the Testarossa here........ just why .........? ) and you get a recipe for disaster and stomach aches........ I tried to watch it, but I kept skipping from time to time because of how bad it is........ So much wasted time....

I won't say the theme is bad intrinsically; BUT IT IS JUST TOO UNFITTING, COME ON ! What was in the mind of the producers ???? This is not some sci-fiction series....... this is MV (AN EXOTIC COP SHOW !!!)

However, this episode could have been worse..... if there was no music whatsoever in it........ like in its "step sister" episode. Or if it wouldn't contain the Testarossa or guest stars at all.......

These aspects make me rate it above 0.........

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Adrian321 said:

I suppose this is without much debate the worst episode from the entire series...... Even by S4 and S5 standards....... 1/10 without any shadow of a doubt.

Most S4 and S5 episodes were "watchable", and not even the below average epsidoes in this season are THIS bad...

The episode is just weird, tries to mix alien themes with hallucinations, and add comic reliefs with "Noog-man", mix that stuff up with the Vice team, weird music and the Testarossa (why did they have to use the Testarossa here........ just why .........? ) and you get a recipe for disaster and stomach aches........ I tried to watch it, but I kept skipping from time to time because of how bad it is........ So much wasted time....

I won't say the theme is bad intrinsically; BUT IT IS JUST TOO UNFITTING, COME ON ! What was in the mind of the producers ???? This is not some sci-fiction series....... this is MV (AN EXOTIC COP SHOW !!!)

However, this episode could have been worse..... if there was no music whatsoever in it........ like in its "step sister" episode. Or if it wouldn't contain the Testarossa or guest stars at all.......

These aspects make me rate it above 0.........

Not only the worst episode of the show...but in the history of the art of television period! :sick: :thumbsdown:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

Not only the worst episode of the show...but in the history of the art of television period! :sick: :thumbsdown:

I wouldn't go AS FAR to say that, but it is definitely VERY BAD. Up there with the worst. It had a little content; as weird as it may have been.......