Episode #75 "Missing Hours"

Ferrariman

9 minutes ago, IzzyFan99 said:

I get the feeling that my views on some of the less popular episodes are going to perplex quite a few people on the site, but it's always nice to connect with fans

I`m very curious to hear your opinion because I also have a slightly different opinion about some of these episodes.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I might have posted this before, but this was actually the first episode I ever saw of Miami Vice. I think I caught maybe 5 minutes of “Child’s Play” before it, but that hardly counts. It was July 2014 on Esquire TV. A hot summer day with the AC blasting. I had always wanted to watch Miami Vice being an 80s fan but it didn’t seem like it was anywhere to be found, like it must have vanished after the 80s. I was very excited to flip through channels and discover it on TV and was hooked! Shortly after, I bought all 5 seasons on DVD! :cool:

But yes, I thought this episode was very trippy and weird. I kind of get a weird Twin Peaks meets X-Files vibe. I love both those shows too, though!

Edited by AndrewRemington

39 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

I might have posted this before, but this was actually the first episode I ever saw of Miami Vice. I think I caught maybe 5 minutes of “Child’s Play” before it, but that hardly counts. It was July 2014 on Esquire TV. A hot summer day with the AC blasting. I had always wanted to watch Miami Vice being an 80s fan but it didn’t seem like it was anywhere to be found, like it must have vanished after the 80s. I was very excited to flip through channels and discover it on TV and was hooked! Shortly after, I bought all 5 seasons on DVD! :cool:

But yes, I thought this episode was very trippy and weird. I kind of get a weird Twin Peaks meets X-Files vibe. I love both those shows too, though!

If Missing Hours had been my first episode to watch I probably wouldn't be on this site right now!  Glad you were brave enough to continue the series after that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

If Missing Hours had been my first episode to watch I probably wouldn't be on this site right now!  Glad you were brave enough to continue the series after that!

Amen! The worst episode of not only MV...but possibly of the television industry! :wuerg::thumbsdown: 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 9:10 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Amen! The worst episode of not only MV...but possibly of the television industry! :wuerg::thumbsdown: 

And this is where we disagree, pal! But that’s okay! To me this is not even the worst episode of Miami Vice. I would rank “Big Thaw”, “Cows of October”, “Vote of Confidence”, “Victims of Circumstance” (poor taste in plot main reason), “Leap of Faith”,“Freefall”, “Everybody’s in Showbiz”, “Tale of the Goat”, and more episode as being worse episodes. “Missing Hours” is genuine entertainment to me!

”Missing Hours” is definitely weird, but I am a big believer in aliens and memory-displacement. It’s hard to ignore the many, many people who have these experiences. Yes, the trippy sequences were a little weird but I think it’s tough to display an alien abduction without being weird. Also, I love weird stuff. “Eraserhead” is one of my favorite movies and that’s the king of weird! I’ve watched this episode probably five times and every time it seems more entertaining. Keep in mind, I am an “X-Files” and “Twin Peaks” fan, and some of their episodes were far more bizarre than this one.

This has probably been asked before but I couldn’t find it anywhere: Was the whole episode a dream, or was just the houseboat explosion scene a dream? I know Trudy finds the picture of the houseboat in her desk again, but I thought someone could have placed another copy there. The jar of peanut butter is there, possibly a sign she really was abducted?

33 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

And this is where we disagree, pal! But that’s okay! To me this is not even the worst episode of Miami Vice. I would rank “Big Thaw”, “Cows of October”, “Vote of Confidence”, “Victims of Circumstance” (poor taste in plot main reason), “Leap of Faith”,“Freefall”, “Everybody’s in Showbiz”, “Tale of the Goat”, and more episode as being worse episodes. “Missing Hours” is genuine entertainment to me!

”Missing Hours” is definitely weird, but I am a big believer in aliens and memory-displacement. It’s hard to ignore the many, many people who have these experiences. Yes, the trippy sequences were a little weird but I think it’s tough to display an alien abduction without being weird. Also, I love weird stuff. “Eraserhead” is one of my favorite movies and that’s the king of weird! I’ve watched this episode probably five times and every time it seems more entertaining. Keep in mind, I am an “X-Files” and “Twin Peaks” fan, and some of their episodes were far more bizarre than this one.

This has probably been asked before but I couldn’t find it anywhere: Was the whole episode a dream, or was just the houseboat explosion scene a dream? I know Trudy finds the picture of the houseboat in her desk again, but I thought someone could have placed another copy there. The jar of peanut butter is there, possibly a sign she really was abducted?

We will definitely disagree on this one, but  to each his or her own! :D 

Even as a so-called alien/UFO episode (:)), “Missing Hours” is still despicable! The plot is stupid, chaotic, and it doesn’t even make sense...as you are even asking questions because it’s just insanity and off the ‘acceptable-radar’ of any form of entertainment! :radar:  ?(  

‘Missing’ is the worst episode of not only MV, but possibly the in the history of the television industry! :thumbsdown: 

Several of the other episodes you listed aren’t necessarily some of the shows best, per-say, but they’re not too bad...except for “Cows of October”, that one is only 2nd to being the worst episode of the show to “Missing Hours”—and “Freefall” as the show’s finale, they desperately needed a better ending! :( But “Tale of the Goat” is awesome...creepy VooDoo episode, and it’s one of my favorites of that season! :eek: :clap: 

4 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

We will definitely disagree on this one, but  to each his or her own! :D 

Even as a so-called alien/UFO episode (:)), “Missing Hours” is still despicable! The plot is stupid, chaotic, and it doesn’t even make sense...as you are even asking questions because it’s just insanity and off the ‘acceptable-radar’ of any form of entertainment! :radar:  ?(  

‘Missing’ is the worst episode of not only MV, but possibly the in the history of the television industry! :thumbsdown: 

Several of the other episodes you listed aren’t necessarily some of the shows best, per-say, but they’re not too bad...except for “Cows of October”, that one is only 2nd to being the worst episode of the show to “Missing Hours”—and “Freefall” as the show’s finale, they desperately needed a better ending! :( But “Tale of the Goat” is awesome...creepy VooDoo episode, and it’s one of my favorites of that season! :eek: :clap: 

LOL, well “Tale of the Goat” is a worse episode to me, but it’s not unwatchable. I really like the movie with a similar plot: “Serpent and the Rainbow”. I’ll watch any MV episode. I have boycotted “Freefall” for a long time, but I do plan on watching it soon again, as I’m watching the series from start to finish again this summer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

LOL, well “Tale of the Goat” is a worse episode to me, but it’s not unwatchable. I really like the movie with a similar plot: “Serpent and the Rainbow”. I’ll watch any MV episode. I have boycotted “Freefall” for a long time, but I do plan on watching it soon again, as I’m watching the series from start to finish again this summer.

It’s been many many years, but I have seen The Serpent and the Rainbow. Very creepy, wild movie! :eek: Supposedly, it’s based on a true story, but I question how much the movie was real and how much was made up for the movie itself. I like and enjoy “Tale of the Goat”...as I tend to like creepy/spooky stuff. 

I too do NOT like “Freefall” and I hate it that it’s the supposed end! ;( :thumbsdown: Sometimes I choose to not watch it when going through the show again, as I’ve sadly seen it enough times before. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

It’s been many many years, but I have seen The Serpent and the Rainbow. Very creepy, wild movie! :eek: Supposedly, it’s based on a true story, but I question how much the movie was real and how much was made up for the movie itself. I like and enjoy “Tale of the Goat”...as I tend to like creepy/spooky stuff. 

I too do NOT like “Freefall” and I hate it that it’s the supposed end! ;( :thumbsdown: Sometimes I choose to not watch it when going through the show again, as I’ve sadly seen it enough times before. 

I really like creepy/spooky stuff too! “The Serpent and the Rainbow” was directed by Wes Craven who wrote and directed “Nightmare on Elm Street”. I have been a big fan of that series since I was a little kid. :) To me that’s one of the most inventive horror series out there. It was inspired by news stories of people being horribly afraid to fall asleep fearing they would die. Several people did die in their sleep and they had no health issues noted. There is also a great “Twilight Zone” episode titled “Perchance To Dream”, which has a similar plot but that guy had heart problems if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Papa Legba was based on Clairvius Narcisse in Tale of the Goat?

Edited by RedDragon86

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Papa Legba was based on Clairvius Narcisse in Tale of the Goat?

I don’t know...perhaps? The “VooDoo zombie” idea from both ‘tales’ is definitely identical. :eek: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tolerated The Big Thaw as a nutty screwball farce, but Missing Hours ... just ...doesn't...work.  You have to wonder if some of the face-palming done by the characters is actually the cast members themselves editorializing!  Alien conspiracy and Miami Vice just don't mix.  I don't think even David Lynch could have directed this well. (Although he might have given the hallucinatory stuff more zest.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I tolerated The Big Thaw as a nutty screwball farce, but Missing Hours ... just ...doesn't...work.  You have to wonder if some of the face-palming done by the characters is actually the cast members themselves editorializing!  Alien conspiracy and Miami Vice just don't mix.  I don't think even David Lynch could have directed this well. (Although he might have given the hallucinatory stuff more zest.)

I’ve said this before, Missing Hours is not only the worst episode of the series...but possibly in the history of television!! :wuerg: :thumbsdown: Totally agree that MV and alien/ufo crap do NOT mix, but not only that the plot itself literally makes no sense! You can’t even follow it! ?( :radar: 

I can watch The Big Thaw over “Missing” any day. The only other episode that isn’t quite as detestable as Missing, but I still can hardly stand to watch, is Cows of October. Cowboys, bull semen, and MV also don’t mix! :p

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I can watch The Big Thaw over “Missing” any day. The only other episode that isn’t quite as detestable as Missing, but I still can hardly stand to watch, is Cows of October. Cowboys, bull semen, and MV also don’t mix! :p

I've still got Cows of October coming up on my Season 4 rewatch.  I haven't seen that one in a long time, so I'm wondering if I'll hate it or find it fun in a quirky way.  Stay tuned! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I've still got Cows of October coming up on my Season 4 rewatch.  I haven't seen that one in a long time, so I'm wondering if I'll hate it or find it fun in a quirky way.  Stay tuned! :rolleyes:

It’s definitely “quirky”, lol! :) The plot is so ridiculous & stupid...but, hey, at least you can understand & follow it! :baby: Whereas, with Missing...it’s just one giant cluster-crap, full of nothing but idiocy, chaos, and despicable garbage. :evil: :wuerg: 

• Haha 1

The special effects were terrible as well, they couldn't even make the beam straight with the car 

Untitled.png.9c2bb394b2a88fc506db8def4ea69ee5.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------:rolleyes:

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

vor 25 Minuten schrieb RedDragon86:

The special effects were terrible as well, they couldn't even make the beam straight with the car :rolleyes:

CGlide wrote on his location website for the Arana club location (played in Colombia but was San Juan, Puerto Rico) in Smuggler´s blues episode that this was the only episode he knew where real coke was used on the set.

I know a second episode: this episode was obviously written and post-produced by someone on controlled substances :birdie:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

The special effects were terrible as well, they couldn't even make the beam straight with the car 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------:rolleyes:

Everything was terrible with this episode! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Except Olivia Brown’s beauty! :p

Very much so. And I'll still give them credit for trying something different with this episode. It didn't work, but neither did some of the more traditional episodes. I also find it interesting that the script for this episode (and Dutch Oven) don't seem to be out there. What do they have against Olivia?

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Except Olivia Brown’s beauty! :p

Olivia (as was the rest of the cast) was amazing...but even she couldn’t save this episode! :eek: I felt bad for her, that this was an episode focusing more on her character...she (and the rest of the cast) deserved WAY better than this garbage! :thumbsdown:

The alien/ufo crap should be used or “saved” for sci-fi shows/movies specifically dealing with that stuff. Some shows, it should never be and/or have been used or tried in & MV was definitely one that should have never dealt with that subject as a main plot line! That whole episode is basically an abomination of MV & the more “dark reality” (for television at that time) it was trying to portray. :evil:

• Like 1

The beam is in the center of the frame (another lazy animation job), and all thy needed was for the camera-person to have the car in the center of the frame. Heck, they probably could've zoomed it in, in post-production to center the car if the full aspect ratio had extras standing off to the side lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TylerDurden389 said:

The beam is in the center of the frame (another lazy animation job), and all thy needed was for the camera-person to have the car in the center of the frame. Heck, they probably could've zoomed it in, in post-production to center the car if the full aspect ratio had extras standing off to the side lol.

Like @RedDragon86 said...even the “special effects” were terrible! :) Whether it was the ‘fake’ beam or the car...the scene is out of whack. But, considering the episode, EVERYTHING was out of whack! :p 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hmmmmm!

He does make some good points, and acknowledges it's not a very good episode.  I'm not sure I buy the whole "hidden meaning" theory, but it's possible that was a driving idea.

• Like 1