Episode #70 "Amen...Send Money"

Ferrariman

On 10/1/2018 at 6:43 PM, Tom said:

The problem with this episode was that too many people fudged around on the script, around a dozen participating writers including Michael Mann himself were part of the story process of this first produced episode of season 4. 

The original storyline about TV preachers and their behaviour was well selected and a hot topic at the time. This episode started great but jumped the shark exactly at the point where Faynell tries to doctor a rape by Tubbs on live video. Not only that this is the start of a very constructed subplot (not Proverb turns out to have been framing Tubbs but someone else is indirectly via manipulating Proverb‘s staff against Tubbs) that will dominate the rest of the episode and prevent logic and action, but it is also completely unrealistic. As they had the alleged Faynell rape on tape it could easily be seen that SHE started grabbing Tubbs not vice versa. He had his hands hanging down for some time while she yelled and pushed herself onto him before he started to grab her to keep her on distance. No way that any detective or prosecutor could have overlooked that bogus allegation.

Whoever of the dozen co-writers came up with this reasoning of the investigation against Tubbs, spoiled the ep as it went downhill from there and running from one crazy idea into the next (e.g. Mason Mather exactly passing out at the time of the attack against Proverb and then suddenly waking up is another unbelievable plot element) until it passed out. 

My verdict: first 20 minutes full 5 Stars, the rest 1-2 out of 5.

I thought Michael Mann left the show after S2, John Schulian was the writer wasn't he?

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I thought Michael Mann left the show after S2, John Schulian was the writer wasn't he?

Yes John Schulian wrote this episode and was a writer in Season 3 also.

• Like 1

vor 14 Stunden schrieb RedDragon86:

Mann did not fully leave. He was not actively involved anymore most of the time after handing over to Wolf and Richard Brams. But in this specific episode he was one of the „participating writers“ as stated on the history page of the original script. Schulian wrote the original script thus he was credited in the episode and the script was registered under his name. The other 10 people working over Schulians script (participating writers and script revisions) were not credited in the episode but on script history only.

• 3 months later...

I like this episode, great subject to tackle. Brian Dennehy is a treat to watch. I feel the ending is a cop-out, like they didn't know what to do.

What's with DJ's wardrobe in this episode? It starts off great with one of the best jackets in the series but then it looks more like PJs than a casual chic outfit (as my friend likes to call the style.)

I happen to like this episode as well, and I think it's another one that fell victim to tap-dancing around potentially controversial issues. Televangelism was really hitting the big time in the '80s, and this episode is a decent commentary on how quite a bit of it looked at the time. The ending I think spoke more to the idea that people are gullible, and so long as there's a pitch there will be someone to fall for it. With that many writers involved it's hard to say if this was the original ending, one added by someone else, or a strange compromise ending based on a couple different versions.

• Like 2

I definitely think that more could have been done with Tubbs being falsely accused of attempted rape/sexual assault. Maybe even its own episode. It was certainly sidestepped here.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

For being such a great actor, Brian Dennehy was wasted in this silly episode. For all his talents as an actor he should have been in a more serious role, maybe the prison warden in "Walk Alone"

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

For being such a great actor, Brian Dennehy was wasted in this silly episode. For all his talents as an actor he should have been in a more serious role, maybe the prison warden in "Walk Alone"

Well it does take some talent to pull off those preaching monologues, even if you think the role isn't very good. They needed somebody with charisma and gravitas and Dennehy had that. In the hands of some other actors the ep could've been unwatchable. I keep thinking Weird Al Yankovic or something which could've been terrible.

Edited by Bren10
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bren10 said:

Well it does take some talent to pull off those preaching monologues, even if you think the role isn't very good. They needed somebody with charisma and gravitas and Dennehy had that. In the hands of some other actors the ep could've been unwatchable. I keep thinking Weird Al Yankovic or something which could've been terrible.

What I am really getting is you don't look back at Brian Dennehy time in Miami Vice in way to be admired or respected like Dennis Farina, Gordon Liddy or Guy Boyd because his episode was half-baked, his role was lets be honest ridiculous. He did pull it off well but the key point I am making is he deserved a more mature, intelligent episode, one to be remembered because he is a great, well respected actor.

Edited by RedDragon86

4 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

maybe the prison warden in "Walk Alone"

Would have been a lot more work for the prisoners at the end! :) 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bren10 said:

I think too many people don’t quite ‘get’ how many scandals were rocking that community when this episode came out. Casting BD in that role (and let’s also remember no one forced him to take it) gave it weight as you point out.

This is one of the ‘of its time’ episodes that simply doesn’t track well without the context. I actually enjoy it and think BD took a risk mocking the Jim Bakers of the world when he did this. 

• Like 3

You also have to take into account what Dennehy himself wanted to play. He would've had a little more clout than the average guest star even then in '87. He'd already worked for Mann on Jericho Mile as well. Maybe he didn't want to be a prison warden. He'd already done that sort of thing and this was a chance to be a little different, as well as topical, like Robbie indicated.

Edited by Bren10
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

I think too many people don’t quite ‘get’ how many scandals were rocking that community when this episode came out. Casting BD in that role (and let’s also remember no one forced him to take it) gave it weight as you point out.

This is one of the ‘of its time’ episodes that simply doesn’t track well without the context. I actually enjoy it and think BD took a risk mocking the Jim Bakers of the world when he did this. 

But was the right material for MV though? It was better when they were tackling "The Contras" and the drugs coming in from Thailand instead of eccentric preachers and UFO's we seen in S4.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

This is one episode that’s grown on me. I never hated it, but it is a pretty good and fun episode. I really like the beginning with Proverb’s speech and the drug sting. Rico was pretty cool with that hat. I don’t know what kind of weirdo pills he had in that bag, though.

My biggest gripe is: If Mason Mather was behind the phony-rape scenario, then why did Faye Nell accuse Rico of attempted assault? Was she also brainwashed by Mather? That whole rape-scenario thing just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. I thought Mather just wanted revenge on Proverb? Confusing. I’ll be honest, I have ADHD and sometimes even if I’ve seen something 5+ times, I still don’t catch all the plot details. My mind is all over the place.

Anyway, that plot just seems like when you have to take a detour on some really crappy roads and get stuck in the mud... Yikes! But it may all be worth it just for that hilarious Crockett line about Rico’s libido getting “critical” or something like that. :)

Overall, it’s still a classic, enjoyable Vice episode.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Best part of this episode for me was the Reverend Proverb's monologue during the intro, played by the late Brian Dennehy. Then a few lines here and there, the rest is just meh! I'll give it a 4.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 5:42 PM, RedDragon86 said:

But was the right material for MV though? It was better when they were tackling "The Contras" and the drugs coming in from Thailand instead of eccentric preachers and UFO's we seen in S4

Anything became possible in S4 :D...hardly surprising!

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 7:35 PM, RedDragon86 said:

Micheal Mann stayed as executive producer till the end. In S1 he was fully involved in the show, then during the S2 run he was working on other projects as well (Man hunter).

• Administrators

Call me crazy but I love this episode.  Bill Bob's preaching at the beginning is a classic, a TV minister telling you he's stealing your money!  Some good cues too. I love the music in the teaser when Leona is making a drug buy from Rico.  I also love the music when Rico is chasing Carl Becker up to the roof.  Dadrian already covered that one! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always think "Pink" regarding this episode!  I've enjoyed it more over the years.  Reminds me of guys like Robert Tilton.  How anyone took guys like this serious is a head-scratcher.

This is probably one of the more watchable silly episodes. DJ and PMT really get to stretch their comic timing and it works pretty well. But this isnt what I watch MV for.

I watch MV to see cops v dealers, undercover conficts, the glamor mixed with the danger.

This episode is one of those that is too far removed from any of that for me to really like it, despite great acting from all concerned.

Edited by fakespyder
  • Like 2