Episode #70 "Amen...Send Money"

Ferrariman

This was a decent story idea that was screwed up completely by too many participating writers in the end of the production process. Too many unrealistic things were packed into this script.

This episode went down the hill with the alleged rape attempt that was not only ridiculously complicated to draw police attention on Proverb (Mather knew for sure that Fiona was a druggie, so he could just have Faynell planted a baggie on Proverb or Liona instead), but also not fully thought through by writers for credibility.

There was a video tape of that scene mentioned by IAD, but one could clearly see that Faynell jumped on Tubbs at first and he had his arms hanging down at that moment, so no way that anyone seeing that tape could have honestly believed that it was "hard to say who does what to whom". 

The latter 20 minutes of that ep have the same quality as the pseudo funny "Missing hours", "Big thaw" and "Cows of October". Sad, as that could have been a really good episode about a real interesting subject (TV evangelists and their entourage plus drugs).

Edited by Tom

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, wolfie1996 said:

Another sleep inducing episode...who accepts these terrible plots? 2/10 for the "guardian angel" comment.

Definitely a SMH episode...total ridiculousness & stupidity! 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 3:49 PM, wolfie1996 said:

Another sleep inducing episode...who accepts these terrible plots? 2/10 for the "guardian angel" comment.

Probably the same people who greenlit "The Great McCarthy." At least this is redeemed by Brian Dennehy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Probably the same people who greenlit "The Great McCarthy." At least this is redeemed by Brian Dennehy.

“The Great McCarthy” was awesome, action-packed, and fun to watch...awesome episode from first season! :dance2: Although Brian Dennehy was an awesome actor, “Amen...Send Money” was a pathetically ridiculous episode. Another bad plot/script by the later season writers and allowed by later season producers. :thumbsdown:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

The Great McCarthy was dull in the extreme unless you happen to like watching recycled boat racing footage. 

I always enjoy this episode (I’m not sure exactly why :birdie:), but I normally FF through “The Great Boat Race”. Forgive me Jan! :) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

The Great McCarthy was dull in the extreme unless you happen to like watching recycled boat racing footage. 

The boat racing is only towards the end...but it’s good action. :thumbsup: The majority of the episode is a fun & entertaining plot, amazing music, superb fashion, colors, action, and total MV! :dance2:

As for dull and stupid to almost the extreme (“Missing Hours” will always win-out to the max-extreme with those categories), then “Amen” definitely qualifies. ;)

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I always enjoy this episode (I’m not sure exactly why :birdie:), but I normally FF through “The Great Boat Race”. Forgive me Jan! :) 

The boat racing itself doesn’t “make” the episode...but it adds to the action at the end. I always love & enjoy “McCarthy”...WAY better episode than “Amen”! :dance2:

5 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

“The Great McCarthy” was awesome, action-packed, and fun to watch...awesome episode from first season! :dance2: Although Brian Dennehy was an awesome actor, “Amen...Send Money” was a pathetically ridiculous episode. Another bad plot/script by the later season writers and allowed by later season producers. :thumbsdown:

Glad you agree about the Amen... Send Money episode but The Great McCarthy was full of powerboat racing and it isn't one of my interests. Though I'm sure some of the cast had a good time!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

Glad you agree about the Amen... Send Money episode but The Great McCarthy was full of powerboat racing and it isn't one of my interests. Though I'm sure some of the cast had a good time!

“Amen” was just a really bad and ridiculous plot & episode to make. Another reason by Season 4 the ratings were “tanking”.

”McCarthy” wasn’t really ‘full’ of boat racing. That was only at the end (and good action with them chasing the boats to see how the coke was being brought in). The rest of the episode had a lot of cool stuff going on. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

“Amen” was just a really bad and ridiculous plot & episode to make. Another reason by Season 4 the ratings were “tanking”.

”McCarthy” wasn’t really ‘full’ of boat racing. That was only at the end (and good action with them chasing the boats to see how the coke was being brought in). The rest of the episode had a lot of cool stuff going on. 

Boat racing's as about as interesting to me as I expect horse racing but be to you, (though I like it because I used to do it.) I don't expect others would though.

Just now, wolfie1996 said:

Boat racing's as about as interesting to me as I expect horse racing but be to you, (though I like it because I used to do it.) I don't expect others would though.

True...and if the majority of the episode had been nothing but a lot of speedboat racing, it would be less entertaining. But, it’s only at the end & one scene of it I can handle no problem. 

3 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

True...and if the majority of the episode had been nothing but a lot of speedboat racing, it would be less entertaining. But, it’s only at the end & one scene of it I can handle no problem. 

Only one scene? It seemed to go on forever. Not one of my favourites anyway.

2 minutes ago, wolfie1996 said:

Only one scene? It seemed to go on forever. Not one of my favourites anyway.

Only a scene towards the end of the episode...not a quick scene, true—or maybe a “part” would be more accurate.

But, “Amen” is one of my least favorite episodes. I still sometimes wonder who came up with this crap? 

12 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

But, “Amen” is one of my least favorite episodes. I still sometimes wonder who came up with this crap? 

Pretty sure I'll never watch it again anyway :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wolfie1996 said:

Pretty sure I'll never watch it again anyway :)

I might, as I’m going through the show again...but I’m usually doing something else & not really paying that much attention. I’ve seen it enough times before. The episode I skip all together is “Missing Hours”...sadly I’ve seen it enough times before, too. ;( 

• Like 1

There is a lot wrong with this episode but the main things that ruins it is Bill's annoying, stupid overacting wife and the unnecessary rape storyline. If they had just stuck to the fraud preacher angle with Bill's rivalry Mason it might have been OK.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

There is a lot wrong with this episode but the main things that ruins it is Bill's annoying, stupid overacting wife and the unnecessary rape storyline. If they had just stuck to the fraud preacher angle with Bill's rivalry Mason it might have been OK.

True...but in order to have Vice in on the case, they had to involve drugs or prostitution some way. If it was just fraud/embezzlement, they wouldn’t have worked the case at all. So, they had the annoying wife be a drug addict...but, yeah the fake-rape thing could have been left out. However, they used that as supposedly the way to get cops & courts to either go easy on her (from the drug arrest), or drop charges all together. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

True...but in order to have Vice in on the case, they had to involve drugs or prostitution some way. If it was just fraud/embezzlement, they wouldn’t have worked the case at all. So, they had the annoying wife be a drug addict...but, yeah the fake-rape thing could have been left out. However, they used that as supposedly the way to get cops & courts to either go easy on her (from the drug arrest), or drop charges all together. 

Maybe they should have wrote in that they suspected that Bill was dealing drugs on the side?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Maybe they should have wrote in that they suspected that Bill was dealing drugs on the side?

Good idea! It would’ve been a more entertaining and better episode if they would have made him be this crazy killer drug dealer on the side, while under the guise of a so-called televised preacher! :baby: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Good idea! It would’ve been a more entertaining and better episode if they would have made him be this crazy killer drug dealer on the side, while under the guise of a so-called televised preacher! :baby: 

Like Gus Fring in Breaking Bad who was a major drug dealer who to the public just ran and owed a food chain of fried chicken restaurant's :)

Where in gods name did they get they find these writers for season 4?

What happened to the season 3 writers?

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Like Gus Fring in Breaking Bad who was a major drug dealer who to the public just ran and owed a food chain of fried chicken restaurant's :)

Where in gods name did they get they find these writers for season 4?

What happened to the season 3 writers?

MV seemed to have multiple writers throughout the show. However, the ones from Seasons 1-2 were pretty awesome!  Season 3 I think had a bunch of different writers again, and although that season was still “pretty” good you could tell there were definite changes and not all of them were popular or good for the show. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

MV seemed to have multiple writers throughout the show. However, the ones from Seasons 1-2 were pretty awesome!  Season 3 I think had a bunch of different writers again, and although that season was still “pretty” good you could tell there were definite changes and not all of them were popular or good for the show. 

1-3 they knew what they were doing, and to write.

They must have borrowed the wacky "Quantum Leap" writers for season 4.

I like that show but some of the episodes in season 4 felt like you watching QL at times. 

• Like 1