Don Johnson Says Heroin Should "Absolutely" Be Legal

mvnyc

• Administrators

The interview was in the Don Johson Spotted thread. He said ALL DRUGS should be legal.

Edited by SL1DE

Off topic, but why is the title of the article "Dakota Johnson's Dad...."  Isn't Don enough celebrity on his own to just say 'Don Johnson blah blah...' ?  Just an observation on my part.  

On topic, I can understand the tax dollar point he wanted to make.  I don't agree with legalizing all drugs, but I can't pass judgement on him or anyone.  Opinions are alike a-holes; everyone has one!  :D  :D  :D

• Administrators

Off topic, but why is the title of the article "Dakota Johnson's Dad...."  Isn't Don enough celebrity on his own to just say 'Don Johnson blah blah...' ?  Just an observation on my part.  

On topic, I can understand the tax dollar point he wanted to make.  I don't agree with legalizing all drugs, but I can't pass judgement on him or anyone.  Opinions are alike a-holes; everyone has one!  :D  :D  :D

I actually just noticed that myself. But do you expect more from E! News?

I'm pretty sure more people know of Don Johnson. It's sad that people don't seem realise that he used to be a household name. He should be Don Johnson, not "Dakota's Dad".

Maybe whoever wrote it is some gen-Y hipster who doesn't know about Miami Vice, because my generation can be pretty stupid and narrow sometimes. Lots of uncultured people these days. :(On topic- If I recall what he said correctly - By making it legal, they can not only put a tax on it and get the US out of debt, but also drive drug dealers out of business. Then just focus on helping addicts instead of focusing on taking down dealers.I personally disagree with drugs being legal and more available also, but his opinion is logical.

• Like 1

Off topic, but why is the title of the article "Dakota Johnson's Dad...."  Isn't Don enough celebrity on his own to just say 'Don Johnson blah blah...' ?  Just an observation on my part.   On topic, I can understand the tax dollar point he wanted to make.  I don't agree with legalizing all drugs, but I can't pass judgement on him or anyone.  Opinions are alike a-holes; everyone has one!  :D  :D  :D

I hate to say it, nater86zx, but I never saw his daughter, Dakota !!!!! I'm living in the past, I know.

By the way, Isn't it ironic that the man who started the 3 day stubble craze is now clean shaven in this interview, and the nerdy-looking guy has fuzz on his face of about 7 days?

As Sonny Crockett, he couldn't shave while on stakeout, but he did shave when he got home or was going to court, a wedding etc. He still looked great with the stubble, while the guys trying it today are ugly....with or without the whiskers!

I want Miami Vice re-runs on TV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!

I like Don the actor but his political and social views don't match with mine. No worries, I'm still a fan even though I disagree with his take on this particular subject.

P.S. -  I find his comments a little bit ironic especially after having his own drug/alcohol addiction problems. You would think he would be anti-drug.

to be fair with the weed that should be legal as its not like drunk driving or something, and it drives up the price so that youngsters cant afford it in states where its legal, such as in Colorado, Washington and MA

and I actually voted to make it legal here when the vote came up.

so it kinda balances itself out there, although their are certain drugs that really harm people and its the obivious one like heroine and cocaine that should stay illegal

and honestly I think dealers of that should suffer much stiffer penalties for pedaling that stuff, but with how often this stuff shows up everywhere and how much money and stuff is tied into it

and our tax dollars problem, where drug dealers have a crappy 9 to 5 job to hide their drug dealing and then make the big bucks doing it. so there is some valitidy to the idea but its just the stuff as a whole is too damaging too alow.

but however remember its the drug trade that ruins our cities and gives these monsters who run predatory gangs power.

so theirs alot of highly subjective and controversial ways to deal with this, and this is just one of them.

but the bottom line is that its all about the economics and the money, and as long as its a good way to make money people will do it.

so maybe a better system would be to have someone like wells fargo who delt in predatory loaning to collect the taxable interest on the drug money you made after the us goverment seizes all of your drug money.

and then go into massive debt for 30 years on the outside with no loans or anything else to help you.

basically pull a Mike Torino, put the predatory loaners on the now broke drug dealers as their collectors, bad people against bad people.

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators

I hate to say it, nater86zx, but I never saw his daughter, Dakota !!!!! I'm living in the past, I know.

Eingefügtes Bild

Now you've seen her.

Edited by SL1DE

I think it's important to not forget that the most highly abused drugs by FAR are legal, such as alcohol, and numerous prescription drugs.  Many, many millions more Americans struggle with and sometimes die as a result of this problem, as opposed to the illegal narcotics that are the focus of the show.  Trying to stop people from accessing drugs, regardless of their legal status, is a giant game of whack-a-mole just as our Miami Vice protagonists commonly fret.  It's just not a simple problem to be solved by stricter law enforcement as the "war on drugs" for the last 30 years has shown.  I think Don Johnson was just being pragmatic about dealing with a complex social issue.

I think it's important to not forget that the most highly abused drugs by FAR are legal, such as alcohol, and numerous prescription drugs.  Many, many millions more Americans struggle with and sometimes die as a result of this problem, as opposed to the illegal narcotics that are the focus of the show.  Trying to stop people from accessing drugs, regardless of their legal status, is a giant game of whack-a-mole just as our Miami Vice protagonists commonly fret.  It's just not a simple problem to be solved by stricter law enforcement as the "war on drugs" for the last 30 years has shown.  I think Don Johnson was just being pragmatic about dealing with a complex social issue.

Very valid points here  :D

indeed also how many times have we heard, got problems with depression because your life sucks, take a pill, or cant focus take ADHD medication, or cant get this or that in your life ect ect

and then I hear rumors of some depression medication being linked to suicidal tendancies too, something with an R, so knowing that I can see how someone could be pragmatic about it.

• 1 month later...

Here are some excerpts of DJs comments:

'America should "legalize every drug and tax it"—with no exceptions'

Well that's what Colorado thought and its not going so well. See here: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/02/02/tax-revenues-for-colorado-pot-sales-going-up-in-smoke-98111

'They should legalize every drug and tax it" he stated before adding that even drugs such as heroin should "absolutely" be legal'

Guess he's never known anyone who had a relative, or even a child die from a heroin overdose. I know people that have experienced that and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  And as Colorado is proving  it is a myth to think that the drug sellers will "pay their fair share" of taxes.

" there are going to be those that get trapped in the perils of drugs and alcohol...but what we can do is take the gangs, the drug cartels and the massive amounts of money that's going out of our economy into other economies and the most important thing is to deglamorize it."

I fail to see how legalizing drugs will take the cartels out of the equation. Who does he think will continue to supply the drugs from central and south America? The cartels aren't going out of business and they will merely have additional clients. The gangs will have freer access to drug supplies and their business will not suffer either because they know customers can buy from them tax-free. The  money will continue flowing south and there is much speculation that Organized Crime is now moving into Colorado's 'legal' pot business.

So tax revenues aren't going to help bail out the already debt ridden economy, as Colorado is already proving, cartels aren't going away, and certainly not the neighborhood gangs. Soooo.....DJ, I disagree with almost all your conclusions.

And in case he's forgotten, the active ingredient in weed is now around 8 times stronger than when he was doing it back in the 70s. So the gateway drug that had been linked to later  use of cocaine and heroin is even worse than during his heyday drug use period.

And keep an eye on crime rates in Colorado that are expected to rise because of increased usage, as well as increased cases of DUI due to impaired judgment, and to increased drug usage among children.

And then there is a comment by one of the readers of that article:

"Celebs are clueless Fri May 23 2014+15 reply 

As someone who has seen the affects of substance abuse destroy everything I have loved the entire time I have been alive -- from a physically abusive alcoholic father, to a sister in rehab in high school, to a 15 year marriage ruined by substance abuse, I say go eff yourself Don. Get your house in order before you run your mouth"

amen. Think I'll report him to Internal Affairs. :p 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Ya I agree that legalization won't put the cartels out of business.  I have read that the prices for legal pot, especially with tax added, will keep users buying from their illegal sources.  I'm sure it will be the same for all other drugs.  As long as beer and coffee stay legal, I'm OK.

Edited by miamijimf

I dont know sonny as I've never really had any serious run in with that kind of stuff or had someone I loved be addicted to it

and colorado just seems to have the worst luck nowadays it seems, I half wonder if the scientoligists that moved in there caused an imbalance with the indian burial grounds they probably moved in on of some sort, and thus are causing this drastic streak of bad luck there

but in Don's defense with how bad things get with this kind of thing, you can see why someone would lash out and blert out why dont we make this all legal and be done with it.

I mean you read into it and it seems pretty depressing

plus it seems like alot of these drug runners play both sides of the field, they have a legit job and housing in a low income housing development, and then sell drugs on the side to make the big tax free bucks while keeping a low profile.

plus here in ma theres a law that every county must have 10% of affordable, Low income housing, and the only place that doesnt have that is sudbury, and well last weeks police blotter was full of people with names from down south with drug charges where I live

while sudbury, the place that has fought having any sort low income housing for years only had one arrest, a guy pulled over who had an arrest warrant for a different county.

and I counted, it was a 13 to 1 ratio, and in that very same community paper they were talking about finally putting that low income housing in there

so maybe a better thing to do would be to have stricter screen processes for low income housing tennants than legalizing it.

and even this week, it was 15 to 3, so maybe theres the answer, tougher screen processes for low income areas.

and just about 6 months to a year ago they busted a train of drug makers and runners at the winsor heights appartment complex up above where I live with serious ties to the now dead and run down framingham area,

I swear it must have been 45 bloody people arested in that one day here, the most I've ever seen.

Edited by Kavinsky

I dont know sonny as I've never really had any serious run in with that kind of stuff or had someone I loved be addicted to it

and colorado just seems to have the worst luck nowadays it seems, I half wonder if the scientoligists that moved in there caused an imbalance with the indian burial grounds they probably moved in on of some sort, and thus are causing this drastic streak of bad luck there

but in Don's defense with how bad things get with this kind of thing, you can see why someone would lash out and blert out why dont we make this all legal and be done with it.

I mean you read into it and it seems pretty depressing

plus it seems like alot of these drug runners play both sides of the field, they have a legit job and housing in a low income housing development, and then sell drugs on the side to make the big tax free bucks while keeping a low profile.

plus here in ma theres a law that every county must have 10% of affordable, Low income housing, and the only place that doesnt have that is sudbury, and well last weeks police blotter was full of people with names from down south with drug charges where I live

while sudbury, the place that has fought having any sort low income housing for years only had one arrest, a guy pulled over who had an arrest warrant for a different county.

and I counted, it was a 13 to 1 ratio, and in that very same community paper they were talking about finally putting that low income housing in there

so maybe a better thing to do would be to have stricter screen processes for low income housing tennants than legalizing it.

and even this week, it was 15 to 3, so maybe theres the answer, tougher screen processes for low income areas.

and just about 6 months to a year ago they busted a train of drug makers and runners at the winsor heights appartment complex up above where I live with serious ties to the now dead and run down framingham area,

I swear it must have been 45 bloody people arested in that one day here, the most I've ever seen.

My take is that Colorado's move of legalizing MJ will have the adverse effect of raising the crime rate in the state, and will increase the use of this gateway drug as availability increases across all markets (legal and illegal). Uses of other more dangerous drugs will also rise including heroin.

Those who supported its legalization because of its tax revenues are going to be sadly disappointed, but we seem to be dealing with a Federal government and some State governments like my own in Illinois and Colorado that have out of control spending problems, and their answer is to raise taxes on "anything that moves".

So I'm suggesting keeping a watchful eye on Colorado to see what happens.

True I just remember hearing the story about the police chief here being asked about 20 years ago, hey why is the crime rate so low here.

and the guy said no low income housing, next thing you know that 40B law gets passed that mandates that 10% of the hosuing be errected for low income people and then the next thing I know I see this place take a nose dive crime wise and most of the businesses have left.

and think about that, that's 10% of a big city being mandated for that, how many people is that, 10 out of a 100 K, 100 K out of a million, 1 million out of 10?

I mean for boston that's 63 thousand out of 632,000 thousand people, from the mean streets that gave america Whitey Buldger.

and about 800,000 for new york.

and all with no screening processes to my knowledge to check their criminal records or just to be sure you dont have a group congregating somewhere and terrorizing the neighborhood

I mean doesnt that seem sucidial for the healthy growth of a city? I mean there is a reason why theres a mass exodous from the east coast going on right now along with the west in Cali and its not just the taxes

hell I know of atleast two people, no Three people who left CT for South Dakota and Seatle Respectively recently

and who knows how some simple stipulation or filtering process could break up the drug trade.

also with Collorado, I would think that because its such a big deal about them legalizing it, that they might have caused what I call the idiot effect, where just because something is legal now everyone flocks there to go nuts with it and then make a fool of themselves.

after all we are living in the overconnected world nowadays, and you see how people react to some simple stupid things such as this at 2:27

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/07/12/steven-spielberg-triceratops-facebook-jurassic-park/12574887/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

I wonder how they would react to the photos of my dad with his first deer, not to mention someone forgot to tell these people that the money that goes towards the hunting licences also helps the upkeep of the fish and wildlife funds so they can preserve the wildlife and their land, not turn the woods into housing developments.

and with no fish and wildlife funs and it all goes down the tubes.

and as a key note, they make sure they keep a close count on how many animals of a certain species can be hunted per year as not to damage the population, after all when it comes to deer you go for the oldest to make sure the youngest can survive when it comes to eatting the shrubbery.

as the old dont leave enough for the young in that case and they can starve.

but as you see here the full idiot effect is in full swing here, and I kinda wonder if maybe because of that the numbers are really high right now with the CO thing.

Edited by Kavinsky

I agree drugs should be shown less glamorous by making them legal Why not? But the powers to be don't seem to agree with the rest of the population it's like prositution some places it's legal and other places nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see how making drugs legal makes them less "glamorous".

All weekend long I was watching ESPN and they were running somewhat suggestive 1800 Plata tequila commercials over and over. Tequila is legal and the whole intent of those commercials is to make that brand of tequila more "glamorous" and therefore appealing to a younger set.

So wait until the commercials for various labels of pot or other substances start up in states where they have become legal....maybe have already.

They will be doing the same thing the alcohol manufacturers are doing and have been doing for decades.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett