Greatest (non 80s) songs

ArtieRollins

I've been playing "Personality" for almost a year, after someone asked for it at a gig. Everybody loves this great Lloyd Price hit!

Thats a great song Tony!! :D

SL1DE & ArtieRollins : I could hit the like box on just about every song, posted! :)

From the 1920's to the Present era ....there are songs known as 'Standards'. These are songs that last throughout the decades and everyone has heard of them. Many of them are from Broadway shows. The greatest of all standards, undeniably would be "Stardust" by Hoagy Carmichael. I have books with thousands of songs from each decade but only 100 or so are true standards.

here are a few examples:

1920s & 30s - St. Louis Blues, Always, You Made Me Love You, In the Mood

40s & 50s - Sentimental Journey, Heartbreak Hotel, Only you, Sea of Love, Unchained Melody

60s - Something (or almost any Beatle song ) Under the Boardwalk, You've Lost that Lovin'Feelin'

70s - Proud Mary, New York, New York, You are the Sunshine of my Life, Piano Man, Rocky Theme

80s - You Belong to the City (or almost any Miami Vice song ;) ) Sweet Caroline

90s & up - Theme from Titanic, God Must Have Spent little More Time (or most NSYNC songs )Whiney Houston songs, & James Bond Themes

Too many to list ......but my point is.... I only learn songs to play at gigs that people from every generation will recognize!

• Like 3

Through my family doctor who is an "retired" jazz musician I was recomended Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and I was stunned of how beautiful it was.

I never been much of a jazz cat, but then I mostly knew jazz music through 30 minutes of improvised fusion with little or no melody at all, but Kind of Blue was something else.

Especially the way Bill Evans played the piano.

It sounded so "easy" and yet complex at the same time and the one song that really captured me right away was Blue in Green and soon I got a couple of Bill Evans records and have been a fan ever since I heard his album Portrait in Jazz (1959).

Whenever I feel down I just put on Peace Piece or Blue in Green and suddenly the world doesn't feel so bad.

:cool:  :radio:

• Like 1

Yeah, SL1DE I play : Runaround Sue & The Wanderer

ArtieRollins ........Miles Davis & Bill Evans music sounds easy going, but it definitely isn't easy to play. The chord changes are very complex & the melody lines have a lot of creative improvisation .

Edited by Tony D.

ArtieRollins ........Miles Davis & Bill Evans music sounds easy going, but it definitely isn't easy to play. The chord changes are very complex & the melody lines have a lot of creative improvisation .

Richard Wright from Pink Floyd were heavily influenced by Davis/Evans work on Kind of Blue and when Pink Floyd where making Dark Side of The Moon he wanted to play it down a bit instead of competing with the likes of Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman. 

It turned out to be a success as Wright came through with two of the albums most stunning songs, The Great Gig In The Sky and Us and Them.

A beauty, Indeed.

Thanks.  :thumbsup:

Here's an early 90s tune from Dead Can Dance, beautiful song and one of my favorite music videos.

• Like 1

Richard Wright from Pink Floyd were heavily influenced by Davis/Evans work on Kind of Blue and when Pink Floyd where making Dark Side of The Moon he wanted to play it down a bit instead of competing with the likes of Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman. 

It turned out to be a success as Wright came through with two of the albums most stunning songs, The Great Gig In The Sky and Us and Them.

A beauty, Indeed.

Here's an early 90s tune from Dead Can Dance, beautiful song and one of my favorite music videos.

Great song again  :D  :)  :radio:  :easter:

A beauty, Indeed.

Wow,that's a beautiful video.I don't think I have seen anything like it too.Good song never heard of it before!

Three fantastic live performances by Hall & Oates from their classic 1973 Abandoned Luncheonette album at The Old Grey Whistle Test (1976).

• Like 1

I bought The Cars debut album less than 24 hours after watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) mostly cause of Moving In Stereo and the scene with Phoebe Cates.

I keep forgettin' that this album came out in 1978 not in 1980.

Strange how I always thought it was Ric singing all their songs but turns out when I went on Youtube checking their videos out that it was Benjamin singin' most of my favorite The Cars songs.

By the way Ben reminded me of actors Richard Lynch and a young Rutger Hauer back in the 70s and 80s.

Edited by ArtieRollins

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Robert "Mr. Smooth" Palmer might be most known for his 80s material both as a solo artist and with Power Station, but a decade before he rocked it out with some funky and soulfuls albums such as Sneaking Sally Through The Alley (1974) and Pressure Drop (1975) which sadly has been put in the shadows of his bigger hits.

• Like 1

I have had a crush on Kylie since I saw her in Neighbors back in the early 90s, but her music is not really my cup of tea, but she does have some overlooked gems and this tune from 1997 still sounds fresh as it was back then.

• Like 1

Two haunting beauties from the early 90s by Cosmic Baby.

Liebe would later on be remade into a big dance hit by Ayla and was a favorite among Norwegian dance clubs in autumn 1998.

Some movies never seems to get old with time, but then again it could be me that never grows up, anyway I've been having a trip back to my childhood and last night I was rewatching my all time favorite Disney film, Beauty & The Beast (1991) and it sure does hold up incredebly well.

It took my right back to the cinemas in early 1992 and I remember being blown away by the beautiful opening shot of the forest and its haunting movie score.

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do like some songs from the 90s era...I know most of the grunge and the post-grunge stuff is the anti-thesis of the 80s that I love, but I did grow up in the 90s, started high school toward the end of that era in early 2000s, and come to think of it, as much as it was not 80s, it was a hell of a lot better than what we have now. I was going to post one up, but I don't know how to do the embedding.

Edited by viceystyle