Don Johnson's Montecito Home For Sale

mvnyc

4 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

maybe the US market doesn't lie, but the French market does. the French riviera is way overpriced IMO. and it's globally the same for all French south east. i lived more than 10 years in the Var so i know that area well. and for me the south west of France, is way superior to the south east. but i'm going OT actually

That’s what the market is, in France or any other market economy like it, including the US.  If enough people are willing to pay those prices in south east France, and I understand you seem not to be, then those prices will be high.  If those places were less desirable to most people, they wouldn’t be willing to pay such a high cost.  Not everyone agrees that it’s worth it, such as yourself, but more of the population does , and are willing to pay for it.  That is what drives the prices up. 

3 hours ago, daytona365 said:

Florida is flat as a pancake. You either live right on the ocean or you need to go to the beach to see it. DJ lives on a hill and can simply gaze out his living room windows. Works well with rising sea levels too.

875Knollwood_20-d44176.thumb.jpg.505f472929e710eb09fc0d0ad2c51056.jpg

Good point about sea level.  Miami is already seeing flooding as a result of it’s low-lying geography.  The major concern in  California is beach and bluff erosion.  Sea level rise will definitely effect coastal areas built at the sand level, but the land rises sharply in most places.  Montecito is in the foothills of the Santa Ynez mountains as is Santa Barbara.  Like Monaco, their is little flat land between the sea and the mountains.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Stunning!!  California is such a beautiful state!  My wife and I were there last summer.  You can see the ocean, mountains, big city life, desert, forests and lakes...something for everyone.  I could never afford to live out there though.

You’re right... on both counts.  It’s expensive and has so much to offer.  It is much more geographically diverse than many realize. I’m saying this not just as a resident, but as someone who has been to 46 of the 50 states.  All of these states had interesting and beautiful things to see, but California has so many of them all in one state.  

Many people often think just of Hollywood/LA and the Silicone Valley/Bay Area, but California has so many incredible sights: the giant sequoias of the Sierra Nevada range, the stunning Yosemite Valley, the coastline of Big Sur.  It has beautiful desert ecosystems, wine country, and the great Central Valley farmland.  Most people don’t realize that California is the leading agricultural producer in the country.  

Sadly, the cost of living is rising dramatically as the population continues to grow and housing hasn’t kept pace.  The things that have drawn so many people here over the years, like my parents from Canada, are getting harder and harder to afford.  I feel fortunate to have made it work in such a high cost place, but many struggle.

48 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Been there, done that, ain't going back. California that is.

Sorry to hear.  It’s got a lot to offer to be done with it.  My wife and I still find new places to explore and we’ve been together and traveling for over 25 years.  I hope you got out of the city and got to see some of the geographic beauty.  Northern, Central, and Southern California are so incredibly different from one another.

Just now, pahonu said:

Sorry to hear.  It’s got a lot to offer to be done with it.  My wife and I still find new places to explore and we’ve been together and traveling for over 25 years.  I hope you got out of the city and got to see some of the geographic beauty.  Northern, Central, and Southern California are so incredibly different from one another.

Sacramento area and points east and north. Also the bay area. Never went much south, but I also don't care much for heat. I agree northern California is pretty, but I can also get my mountains without being in California.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Been there, done that, ain't going back. California that is.

With the fires, mud slides, traffic, etc, I get that. But, there is still a lot of beauty in that area to enjoy. My best friend lives in Santa Barbara, so I'm lucky; I can visit whenever I want. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Sacramento area and points east and north. Also the bay area. Never went much south, but I also don't care much for heat. I agree northern California is pretty, but I can also get my mountains without being in California.

We stayed just east of Sacramento and loved the area.  Spent a few days way north too, above Chico, in Westwood/Lake Almanor.  Beautiful area!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjcmmv said:

With the fires, mud slides, traffic, etc, I get that. But, there is still a lot of beauty in that area to enjoy. My best friend lives in Santa Barbara, so I'm lucky; I can visit whenever I want. 

Nice!  None of my wife’s college friends could make a go of it there and eventually left like us.  Lucky indeed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Sacramento is really unique in the state.  It’s relatively old compared to most other cities.  Not east coast old, I know.  Beautiful area but summers can be scorching hot because it’s inland, like 100+ degrees.

If you don’t like the heat, the central coast is ideal.  I kid you not, Morro Bay, which is right in the middle of the central coast has some of the most temperate weather in the country.  Check out the monthly temperature chart.  Daytime highs average from 71 in the summer to 64 in the winter.  Quite a range!  It’s beautiful coastline too, with Morro Rock.

11 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

The caption for this picture was Santa Barbara. I didn't think he owned this house anymore.

948233338_DJSANTABARBARAcopy.thumb.jpg.4a01812aedda2bfec40cb879b3051baa.jpg

the picture above was at the same place though, just that they seem to have replaced the outdoor furniture.

875Knollwood_28-8b1083.thumb.jpg.9a0d989b5ebb6b52c72cfbf83dbb177f.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, pahonu said:

That’s what the market is, in France or any other market economy like it, including the US.  If enough people are willing to pay those prices in south east France, and I understand you seem not to be, then those prices will be high.  If those places were less desirable to most people, they wouldn’t be willing to pay such a high cost.  Not everyone agrees that it’s worth it, such as yourself, but more of the population does , and are willing to pay for it.  That is what drives the prices up. 

the French riviera is more of a fashion thing. people who buy expensive houses there buy it because it gives some social value. i know people who own expensive houses there. they paid millions for their stuff, and i really don't know why. the winter is cold, and they have basically nothing more. except a little bigger house, and saying i live in a French riviera neighborhood. plus most of the beaches there are polluted, or overcrowded. and the water is cold most of the year lol

1 hour ago, jpaul1 said:

the French riviera is more of a fashion thing. people who buy expensive houses there buy it because it gives some social value. i know people who own expensive houses there. they paid millions for their stuff, and i really don't know why. the winter is cold, and they have basically nothing more. except a little bigger house, and saying i live in a French riviera neighborhood. plus most of the beaches there are polluted, or overcrowded. and the water is cold most of the year lol

Wow, I had no idea!

2 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

Yup, social status can drive the market as well.  Some of the most expensive neighborhoods in the LA area are costly because of there limited availability and coastal location, like Malibu or Newport Beach.  Others are expensive because of their social status like Beverly Hills and the Hollywood Hillls.  There are many hilly neighborhoods with similar large homes that don’t command nearly the price.

I’ve read about the crowds in places like St. Tropez, etc...  I had no idea about the pollution levels.  

6 hours ago, daytona365 said:

the picture above was at the same place though, just that they seem to have replaced the outdoor furniture.

875Knollwood_28-8b1083.thumb.jpg.9a0d989b5ebb6b52c72cfbf83dbb177f.jpg

"i had to chase many drug dealers in miami to relax on this chair today"  :)

• Haha 1