Cool Runnin' / Junk Love

Matt5

SOFLAJEREMY Vice Squad Detective Joined: 17 February 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 1923 Topic: cool running / junk love Posted: 01 August 2006 at 2:05am I had been looking for the restaurant where caroline and crockett meet to talk about their divorce. I notice that there was a low wall with a large circle designed into it that was visible outside thru the door and that it had a unique floor. I located such a wall on deco dr this past weekend in the 1100 blk. I was just watching junk love and at the begining they pull up in front of the same building with the wall in front. In junk love it is a hotel/brothel. The brothel in junk love was the restaurant in cool running note the floor. JGB " if we don't have it in miami nobodies thought of it yet " SOFLAJEREMY Vice Squad Detective Joined: 17 February 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 1923 Posted: 01 August 2006 at 2:12am JGB " if we don't have it in miami nobodies thought of it yet " IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 06 August 2006 at 12:58pm Exterior: I believe RB revealed that in "Cool Running" the exterior establishing shot is the Grand Bay Hotel in Coconut Grove (The waiter in that scene looks more like a doper type than a waiter type IMO.).Interior: It sure looks like the same location for both eps but the camera angles are different. In "Cool Running" the camera is facing toward the front door. In "Junk Love" there are pink curtains over what looks like the front door but the column behind Trudy suggests a different spot inside (Why is everything covered in white sheets?). DanJ IP Logged MATT5 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 14 May 2006 Online Status: Online Posts: 1847 Posted: 06 August 2006 at 9:12pm yes the exterior shot was the Grand Bay in CG - but are you saying the interior scene in the restaurant was shot at the Victor on Ocean Dr(1100 blck) ? IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 06 August 2006 at 10:58pm Matt, if that last post/question was directed at me, I'll defer to Jeremy on this one 'cause he's the one who sussed that out - although I do agree with him. DanJ IP Logged SOFLAJEREMY Vice Squad Detective Joined: 17 February 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 1923 Posted: 07 August 2006 at 4:02am yup JGB " if we don't have it in miami nobodies thought of it yet " IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 08 August 2006 at 7:30am Junk Love Just watched this, and 3 things are quite obvious: 1. Silva's mansion is the same one that was used in God's Work and Down For The Count, on North View Dr. You can tell when they drive by the front of it. Note especially the cross-shaped pool seen right before the dogfight starts at the party. Also, when Silva is talking to Rosella as she swims, you can see in the background across the water the tan-colored Sinai Medical Center. 2. During the final scene, Stiltsville is visible nearby, so this is just south of Key Biscayne. 3. The boat auction and pool scene are filmed at Turnberry Isle Marina, which is also seen in Phil the Shill. The tall building (which is a hotel in Score) is Turnberry Isle Condo at 19707 Turnberry Way, Aventura. IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 09 August 2006 at 7:13am So the question is: Have we found all the locations for Junk Love? If so, I guess Jeremy can go into his vault and get out the answer key for this episode. We haven't found is where Silva blows up his protege (they're smuggling drugs inside of fish), but I don't know if that one's realistically going to be found. IP Logged tom71 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: Austria Online Status: Offline Posts: 758 Posted: 11 August 2006 at 10:46am airtommy: I know where they shot that scene with protege Roberto being blown to smithereens! JB Jones the explosion expert said once that they shot that off "No Name Harbor, Key Biscayne". I always suspected Key Biscayne due to the pine trees next to the waterline but I don´t know where that was exactly and whether the harbor name is a real one. IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 12 August 2006 at 6:36am No Name Harbor, Key Biscayne how it got its name It certainly wasn't filmed inside No Name Harbor, because it's filmed on open water. You can see one or more large ocean liners out on the horizon. It might have been filmed near that area. IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 12 August 2006 at 6:45am Y'all have no idea how glad I am that that original development plan didn't go through. At the rate things are going, this may the last parcel of green left in Miami some day. DanJ IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 12 August 2006 at 8:35am Originally posted by DanJAt the rate things are going, this may the last parcel of green left in Miami some day.Not counting golf courses. IP Logged tom71 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: Austria Online Status: Offline Posts: 758 Posted: 12 August 2006 at 12:03pm airtommy: you´re probably right. JB Jones said he was standing on the waterfront at No Name Harbor when he pulled the trigger to blow the boat up (it was a rusty boat that was only repainted to be blown up, you can see that it was a wreck when you watch carefully the scenes on DVD). That means he must have had at least direct eye contact to the boat. Crockett and Tubbs´ position may have been a different one but they watched the boat explode too. But I guess this indication narrows it down, the rest is out for you locals to find ... IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 12 August 2006 at 8:55pm The edge of Key Biscayne right next to Na Name Harbor doesn't face the mainland directly, it faces at an angle, and the angle is away from the city. It's possible that this view would be at enough of an angle to make the distance big enough that you can't see the mainland. I do know, however, that when you are in the vicinity of the "Nixon" house, you can clearly see the downtown skyline. For people checking this out in person, the seawall seems to be a distinctive item. IP Logged SOFLAJEREMY Vice Squad Detective Joined: 17 February 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 1923 Posted: 14 August 2006 at 7:29pm The clues that figured out the location for me were that the syiltsville houses are clearly visible in the bg. A check of the mainland showed it was to far away and the shot absolutely had to be on key biscayne. Then I noticed that there was a concrete retaining wall all along the water way that was quite distinctive. They must have been in a rush to shoot that day because they did a half assed job of covering it up with dirt and palm fronds. These two clues combined means that it was shot from within the state park at the south end facing south. I recognized the area from many trips to the park and walking along the "boardwalk" there. No name harbor was probably the staging area where there was available parking and easy place to control on lookers. The actual shot was filmed partway between the harbor and the lighthouse. Its kind of funny because as the truck drives off it is driving into the woods because there is no road there. JGB " if we don't have it in miami nobodies thought of it yet " IP Logged SOFLAJEREMY Vice Squad Detective Joined: 17 February 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 1923 Posted: 15 August 2006 at 12:23am August 2006 pictures of the victor JGB " if we don't have it in miami nobodies thought of it yet " IP Logged SOFLAJEREMY Vice Squad Detective Joined: 17 February 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 1923 Posted: 15 August 2006 at 12:28am above picture looks from the front ocean dr end toward the rear the pic below looks from the rear toward the front JGB " if we don't have it in miami nobodies thought of it yet " IP Logged SOFLAJEREMY Vice Squad Detective Joined: 17 February 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 1923 Posted: 15 August 2006 at 12:32am stairway heade up from lobby JGB " if we don't have it in miami nobodies thought of it yet " IP Logged SOFLAJEREMY Vice Squad Detective Joined: 17 February 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 1923 Posted: 15 August 2006 at 12:37am And the now famous restaurant in the victor JGB " if we don't have it in miami nobodies thought of it yet " IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Originally posted by SOFLAJEREMYThe clues that figured out the location for me were that the syiltsville houses are clearly visible in the bg.I hadn't noticed that before, but now I see them.

nofretz Vice Squad Detective Joined: 03 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 494 Posted: 14 November 2008 at 11:00pm the location guide on .ws gives two different hospital addresses for cool running: st. francis hospital on W63rd miami beach, and cedars medical center on 14 st. downtown. which is correct? was there more than one hospital in that ep? I get these occasional urges for stability in my life... IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 15 November 2008 at 6:22am I remember this being discussed before, but I can't remember what was said and the discussion was probably in the deleted RB category. So, I sat down and watched the final scene. This is clearly filmed at St. Francis. For one thing, you can see a big "St. Francis" in the background around 46:20 behind the fountain. Also, when Noogie drives away you can see part of the endless row of condo/hotels that lines Collins Avenue all the way up Miami Beach. However, the first shot in that scene, a view of "Biscayne General Hospital", is the Cedars Medical Center. The camera is facing northwest. There is a different setup shot of the same hospital used in another episode, but I can't remember which one. That other setup shot shows the canal which is on the property. JB: "There are no insignificant MV locations." IP Logged nofretz Vice Squad Detective Joined: 03 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 494 Posted: 17 November 2008 at 11:58pm so it's both then, right? one scene, two hospitals? I get these occasional urges for stability in my life... IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 18 November 2008 at 5:50am Joo got it, mang!

• 1 year later...
For the last month I have been working on my location web site, but it has been mostly doing some editing reviewing, and small corrections (spelling, grammar etc.) making sure the links work properly etc. In general making sure there were not any huge problems and changing the look slightly. Time consuming stuff that needed to be done but not allot that someone else would notice. I had not posted any new episodes for a while but I am happy to say that I just published 4 Miami Vice episodes. 28 Junk Love, 29 Tale Of The Goat, 30, Bushido, and 31 Bought and paid for. I hope you enjoy them and find them usefulhttp://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net

Excellent work Charlie Glide. I just checked out your site(again) and you do some fantastic work. Great to see how much or how little things change from filming of the vice days and now. I can't imagine how much time and effort you have into your site, pics and locations(a favorite part of vice today for me) and captions. I thank you so much and do appreciate it very much. I'll have fun looking at your other efforts to see how much co-incides with vice. I'm going to have a great time. Once again, thanx for all you do, Mike

Excellent work Charlie Glide. I just checked out your site(again) and you do some fantastic work. Great to see how much or how little things change from filming of the vice days and now. I can't imagine how much time and effort you have into your site' date=' pics and locations(a favorite part of vice today for me) and captions. I thank you so much and do appreciate it very much. I'll have fun looking at your other efforts to see how much co-incides with vice. I'm going to have a great time. Once again, thanx for all you do, Mike[/quote'] Thank you for the nice post. I really enjoy working on the site, probably addicted but one of the best parts is knowing other people have a like interest in vice's locations and figuring out where they are located. I am glad you enjoy the site and I have no plans of stopping untill all 5 seasons are complete.

• 2 years later...

A shame to tear it down. At least Burn Notice used it recently so we get the interior saved on film. Seems crazy to tear such a place down.

What a shame. :thumbsdown:Reading the article, it seems some of the locals are not to happy about it either. Why is local government allowing Miami's history to be erased ?:birdie:Side note: Google Earth still has it on street view so I took a couple of screen shots from different angles, just in case we ever need them in the future. ;)

Another unfortunate loss, same ol' story. Chains of Gold, the old John Travolta movie, provides extended views featuring the front of the hotel called the “ski slope.â€

Another unfortunate loss' date=' same ol' story. Chains of Gold, the old John Travolta movie, provides extended views featuring the front of the hotel called the “ski slope.â€[/quote'] I agree - a terrible shame such a lovely looking hotel only 30 years old. I had no idea the Grand Bay had gone into decline and was empty since 2008.:D

• 8 months later...

Enjoyed this episode last nite - good locations - particularly The Victor Hotel being extensively used and the Key Biscayne / Bill Baggs park locations :dance2:

• 3 years later...

I watched this episode the other nite from the fall 1985 - I always enjoy this one despite the dark subject matter - the actress who plays Rosella is very beauutiful and Silva is a convincing bad guy also we see the jazz great Miles Davis guest star in this episode. These photos below were taken in February 2014 and were from the Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park right by No Name Harbor.(fish delivery scene and boat explosion with Stiltsville in the background)

986.JPG

987.JPG

992.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Very nice, Stiltsville looks a long ways away.

Thanks Jim - this was a cold late February morning in Bill Baggs State Park in Key Biscayne  . The angle seen in the photo of Stiltsville was seen in the episode from the waters edge but I agree it does look further back .:thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

Thought this was pretty cool - although streetview isn't available at Bill Baggs and No Name Harbor in Key Biscayne, came across this as the view we see in this episode and similar angle to my photos above. (Photo credit - Lenny Kagan)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@25.6735447,-80.1623258,3a,75y,192.63h,83.81t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipM-ZOBKg4dkPZep46IyYLstT7wMl_kqgdcAsEui!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipM-ZOBKg4dkPZep46IyYLstT7wMl_kqgdcAsEui%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya182.84363-ro0-fo100!7i8000!8i4000?hl=en

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Wyndham Grand Bay Hotel in Coconut Grove was featured in this episode (exterior only, interior Victor Hotel in Miami Beach). Here are a few shots from the 1980s - one of which from the back terrace of the hotel. The third shot as it appeared in Miami Vice in 1984.

5628F4B9-2AA7-4613-855D-F8940FDF2B2D.jpeg

54F33DF0-98F0-4935-A0B2-C9147CD21070.jpeg

57B1C01A-267E-478A-ADE6-BC046364CA11.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, miamijimf said:

There are a couple of ugly twisted condos there now but the red ribbon sculpture remains.

Yes I’ve seen them- terrible Jim. But good about the 1984 sculpture.

• 1 month later...

In Cool Runnin' near the end C&T are driving at night and Tubbs talks to Noogie on the phone.  The only part of this drive that has been identified is when they do a U-turn in the middle of the road right in front of Les Violins at Biscayne Blvd & NE 17th Ter.  It looks like the whole drive is in that area and it makes sense since CGlide says the production crew was based right there in the Omni. 

One clip in particular seems easily identifiable.  They go by a building labeled "Steak House", then the next building is seen below.

cool1.png

Edited by airtommy

16 hours ago, airtommy said:

cool2.png

Interesting - are those the arches from the Pilot? We discussed when I was in Miami last on the “Brothers Keeper “ thread?

23 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Interesting - are those the arches from the Pilot? We discussed when I was in Miami last on the “Brothers Keeper “ thread?

Good question, I was thinking the same thing but I haven't compared them yet.